What makes me daughter officially Thai?

krisb

Just wondering.

She was born in Australia, mums a Thai citizen.

Daughter now has her official Thai birth certificate, or an official copy of her Australian birth cert that has been translated and stamped by the Thai embassy in Canberra, Australia.

So does this mean she is now a Thai citizen?

If not, what does make her a Thai citizen?

Thanks for any advice!

She's thai regardless of id. Her mothers nationality is not in doubt. If you want to get her a passport then just follow the local thai embassies guidelines. Thai id card is not necessary

She's thai regardless of id. Her mothers nationality is not in doubt. If you want to get her a passport then just follow the local thai embassies guidelines. Thai id card is not necessary

So simply because her mum is Thai, she's automatically a Thai citizen?

Its really that simple?

I thought there would have to be something on paper or something more than just mums citizenship to confirm?

Not even her name on the house book is needed to be Thai?

Edited by krisb

My girl friend is Thai and our son was born in Thailand, my signature was asked for at the hospital, i think that was to register the birth, we were then asked if the boy was to be Thai or British we said Thai, end of story.

My girl friend is Thai and our son was born in Thailand, my signature was asked for at the hospital, i think that was to register the birth, we were then asked if the boy was to be Thai or British we said Thai, end of story.

He can be both Thai and British. All you have to do is have him registered at the British Embassy, assuming that you are noted as the father on the Birth Certificate.

He can be both Thai and British. All you have to do is have him registered at the British Embassy, assuming that you are noted as the father on the Birth Certificate.

I wouldn't want to do that to him, as bad as it can be here, he is still better off in Thailand.

Not sure about the signature. Far as I know your name needs to be on the babies birth cert.

Anyway totally different situation than the op.

Not sure about the signature. Far as I know your name needs to be on the babies birth cert.

It is and the Thai court has legalized my relationship to him. I don't think the OP needs to worry as someone else has said, his mother is Thai all he needs is the Thai birth certificate from the Thai embassy. The Thai staff at the embassy could answer his question better than we can.

Make sure that your name is also on the Thai birth certificate and that your marriage is registered in Thailand too, this gives you parental rights in Thailand too.

Born out if a Thai mother is the only thing she needs to claim Thai nationality.

It is and the Thai court has legalized my relationship to him. I don't think the OP needs to worry as someone else has said, his mother is Thai all he needs is the Thai birth certificate from the Thai embassy. The Thai staff at the embassy could answer his question better than we can.

Thanks for your input anyway.

I wouldn't want to do that to him, as bad as it can be here, he is still better off in Thailand.

Even if he ended up never leaving Thailand, I would still get him the British Passport. Assuming he does want to travel one day he may find the British Passport is easier to use.

Make sure that your name is also on the Thai birth certificate and that your marriage is registered in Thailand too, this gives you parental rights in Thailand too.

Born out if a Thai mother is the only thing she needs to claim Thai nationality.

We know she's eligible to be a Thai citizen.

But what is it that confirms it?

Does she go to an office somewhere and they hand her a piece of official paper saying xxxxxxx is now an official Thai citizen?

To have a choice would be better.

Does she go to an office somewhere and they hand her a piece of official paper saying xxxxxxx is now an official Thai citizen?

Such an office is called an "embassy" and such official paper is called a "passport". Just go there with the required documents and follow the instructions given by the friendly staff.

Such an office is called an "embassy" and such official paper is called a "passport". Just go there with the required documents and follow the instructions given by the friendly staff.

But to get a Thai passport don't you need to be on a tabien bahn first?

So that means the tabien bahn trumps the passport.

How can one be on a Tabian Baan if you don't live in Thailand?

How can one be on a Tabian Baan if you don't live in Thailand?

Well that's a valid question also. I've got no idea. I thought as long as the amphur has an official Thai birth cert, they can be on a nominated tabien bahn even if they don't live there.

See if my daughter was born in Thailand, she could then apply to become Australian (my nationality) by decent. She is then officially recorded in a government system as being an Australian citizen. Then she's eligible to apply for a passport etc. Probably the same for countries like the UK, USA, Canada etc.

That's the bit I can't understand about Thailand.

The Thai birth certificate issued by the Thai embassy indicating her nationality as Thai is the official documentation of her Thai nationality.

Exactly what it says.

Thanks Maestro!

So simply because her mum is Thai, she's automatically a Thai citizen?

Its really that simple?

I thought there would have to be something on paper or something more than just mums citizenship to confirm?

Not even her name on the house book is needed to be Thai?

No, but to do a lot of things in Thailand that Thai citizens are entitled to, I've read many, many times she does need to be on someone's house book and I've read where that includes getting a passport, though there may be exceptions for a baby born in another country. I sure your local Thai embassy can answer your questions.

Nevertheless, if the need ever arose for getting something in Thailand be prepared to get her name on someone's house book and I think something registered at the local Amphur, then go get her national ID card. After this she should be good to go for anything she wants or needs to do in Thailand as a citizen.

Everyone here is right, her mother being Thai makes her Thai, but there is still paperwork to do. I'd get it done as soon as possible, because if her mother passes away (heaven forbid) things may get much more difficult.

Edited by oneday

My son was born in the UK and my Thai wife took all the UK documents to the Embassy in London who registered his birth and issued a Thai passport. He has dual nationality which will help him when he starts a career. International travelling is also easier with a UK passport. I would strongly advise you to get dual nationality for your daughter before either or both countries change their rules.

My English/Thai Daughter has a Thai Birth Certificate and a Thai Passport,and a English Birth Certificate and a English Passport, that makes her a joint Citizen of both counties!

But why do you consider your son is better off,and what would Thailand do for him to make him better off? if that was the case there would not be so many Thais scattered around the world thirty thousand plus in the UK! more nearer 40 thousand in Germany, thousands in Scandanavia! and how many in the USA,and Australia? and Canada,the mind boggles,I could go on.Thai migrants in general go back to Thailand to see their family and for holidays,and in between: to send money back home,not to return permanently!

Edited by MAJIC

My English/Thai Daughter has a Thai Birth Certificate and a Thai Passport,and a English Birth Certificate and a English Passport, that makes her a joint Citizen of both counties!

But why do you consider your son is better off,and what would Thailand do for him to make him better off? if that was the case there would not be so many Thais scattered around the world thirty thousand plus in the UK! more nearer 40 thousand in Germany, thousands in Scandanavia! and how many in the USA,and Australia? and Canada,the mind boggles,I could go on.Thai migrants in general go back to Thailand to see their family and for holidays,and in between: to send money back home,not to return permanently!

MAJIC I think you answered yourself in your last comment " to send money back home"

Edited by offset

Be very careful about thinking your children have Dual Nationality or Dual Citizenship. I'd do some research on this if I were you.

My research found that Thailand DOES NOT allow dual citizenship, but they also DO NOT enforce it unless you throw it in their face. The common thinking is if you DO NOT open your mouth about having two passports then there should never be a problem and everything will work as you want or expect with regard to Thailand.

Whatever passport you use to entry a country, that is the passport you use to leave that country. Don't make the mistake of going to some Thai government department and asking questions about dual citizenship and mentioning you have two passports.

Do your own research on this before taking my word or anyone else's word on this.