First One

happynthailand

yea,found banded krait(yellow & black bands) about 6 months after moveing into your house

almost picked him up,at the time I didn't know what kind snake it was,it was just laying there not moveing

You moved into my house?

The flaring on the neck - is that cos you gave him a good squashing there, or is that natural? If that is a natural flaring you might have got yourself a young King Cobra - in which case he is just as dangerous* as a banded krait, though not quite as exotic looking.

If there is no natural flaring then your boy could be a common rat snake (did his head dart form side to side when in natural motion?). Can bite, but non-venomous.

[i don't claim to be an expert - I recently signed up for a free eBook about Thai snakes from http://www.thailandsnakes.com, which I can heartily recommend to anyone that would move towards a snake (tentatively of course) rather than run away from one!]

*The king cobra is the largest venomous snake in the world. It acts differently than other snakes. It moves slowly and deliberately, even when fleeing humans. Often it will ignore humans as if they weren’t there at all as it goes about foraging for prey. The bite from a king cobra can transfer up to 7 ml. of venom, a massive amount, and enough to kill an elephant. I have heard stories second hand of two persons dying from king cobra bites. Both were dead within ten minutes. This is not a snake to mess with, even if you think you know what you’re doing.

{extract courtesy thailandsnakes.com}

The cobras I have had in my yard are a lot darker. My vote is rat snake.......

Maybe in your yard.

Nonetheless, "Photos of Common Thailand Snakes" e-Book notes that King Cobras come in "Colors - black, brown, or yellow ... ". The excellent photos that Happyinthailand took look very much like the picture in that book and rat snakes don't appear to have neck flaring (which becomes the hood when standing erect).

Let's not fall out over it ..... but maybe treat a brown one as a potential cobra if one should show up in your yard!laugh.png

It's not a King, and it's not a rat snake . It looks like an Isaan spitting cobra, which I've seen a few times during the years I've been here! blink.png

Actually some great photos, normally we get blurred or squashed snakes :)

Just exercise caution with all snakes unless you are 100% sure it is harmless.

As noted, most types of snakes can come in a variety of colors, so body shape/head shape are big identifiers.

Archived