Action required to 'stop sinking of Bangkok'

webfact

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed that idiots still purchase condos even though they must know the place is sinking.

Vienna sinks too.....great tourist destination.....and it doesn't stink anymore....sink stink get it? harharhar

Vienna or Venice? Methinks you should stay off the turps 555

Ohh damn, Venice of course god how could I do a stupid mistake like that! People must think I am American who thinks Denmark is the Capital of Stockholm.

Edited by AlQaholic

Again?....this is news?

On my first assignment in BKK in 1988, in converstaion with the military attache at the Bristish Embassy, one of the things he told me was:

Parts of Bangkok and nearby provinces were at great risk of sinking in the next 15 years if no action is taken to prevent it.

or something along those lines.

Well, Thailand has moved their capital a few times in history, though I expect it would be more challenging than driving the buffalo to a new location now.
It isn't something that will happen in the short term I am pretty sure.
I like the gondola suggestion.... I will visit when they have that in place.
biggrin.png

A barrier dam from Chon Buri to Prachuap Khiri Khan, covering 100+ nautical miles, oh please! But I suppose they could always put a road on top and not have to bother with the ferry. And all this for a Bt500 million.

Where did you read 500 million?

Build a fence around BKK with Star Wars type lazers and if you do not have the appropriate chip implant......... You get vaporized n:)

BEEM ME UP SCOTTY i have 6 bar girls and 2 BIB

Are you old enough to be on this forum?.

I thought the minimum age was 12? Or was that the minimum IQ I was reading.

"It could even necessitate the relocation of the capital city, he warned."

ok everybody, on the count of three, pick the city up and carry it about 10 miles to the north. ready? one, two...

Edited by NCC1701A

A barrier dam from Chon Buri to Prachuap Khiri Khan, covering 100+ nautical miles, oh please! But I suppose they could always put a road on top and not have to bother with the ferry. And all this for a Bt500 million.

Gentlemen, please add three Zeroes to your figure. The amount mentioned in the OP is 500 BILLION Bt. Not 500 million. Perhaps that's the reason for the submarine purchase... Hmmm... Makes you wonder.

all they have to do is pick up all the trash in Thailand that is covering the whole country and build a giant sea wall with it.

they can "re-purpose" the slave labor fishermen and the entire Thai airline industry as a source of labor. smile.png

Edited by NCC1701A

"It could even necessitate the relocation of the capital city, he warned."

ok everybody, on the count of three, pick the city up and carry it about 10 miles to the north. ready? one, two...

Know what you mean.

They make it sound it so easy.

What would happen if everyone jumped up and down at the same time? As there is a better chance of that happening rather than any kind of preventive action from occuring.

Action required... hhhhmmmmh... coffee1.gif another "shut down Bangkok" maybe? gigglem.gif

The only "action" that would stop swamp land with skyscrapers built on it from sinking would be to return it to its original state (remove all structures) and plant mangrove trees. Will be very interesting to see how many millions or billions of money will be wasted on "sink stop" attempts that are doomed to fail anyway... Money that better could have been used to build schools, hospitals, orphanages, homes for the elderly, homes for disabled, etc. along with support programs for farmers and reforestation programs.

Trillions may be needed!

All this was done to death at least 7 or 8 years ago. The major problem appears to have been draining the aquifer, and BKK was sinking about 1cm per year. Also a sea-wall was discussed but this Thailand so nothing wsa done - quick go down the temple or buy an amulet and all will be well. Idiots.

I recall reading about that time that the leading Thai scientist studying global warming reporting that Thailand need not worry about sea levels risinng 60cm as a consequence of the Greenland ice fields melting - because Thailand was too far away to be affected. And that my friends is the real problem that Thais have. Idiocy.

Let it sdink. BKK is dirty. polluted and the weather is dreadful. Thais love it so let them sink with it,

On the plus side, a good idea did come up at the time, - probably from a foreigner. That was to create a new capital in Nakhn Ratchasima. Moving capitals isn't new, after all, Thailand moved its capital from Ayutthya to Bangkok (Thonburi as I recall) when the Burmese kepy kicking their asses. Bit more complex today, granted, but do-able.

Naturally the Thais won't do anything until the water is lapping at their doorstesps. Then it'll be down the temple again or buy another amulet and all will be well. Idiots.

When these people disappear up their own dopey bums I doubt many will notice, and I'm certain no-one will care.

The government has been urged to set up a national panel to handle the problem of rising tide

But, where, since the government has got rid of all the deckchairs from Thai beaches, are these latter-day Canutes going to sit?

The thing that puzzles me i have been living in a condo in Bangkok for nearly 20 years., if the ground is sinking at the rate of 1 cm per year thats 20 cm. surely thats enough for me to notice? Floods in Bangkok were much worse when i lived here 35 years ago.. Sukhumvit was regularly waist deep under water. Can better drainage really explain the improvement taking into account how much the land must have dropped?

My personal guess is that global warming and the rising of the seas is a much greater risk.

Again?....this is news?

On my first assignment in BKK in 1988, in converstaion with the military attache at the Bristish Embassy, one of the things he told me was:

Parts of Bangkok and nearby provinces were at great risk of sinking in the next 15 years if no action is taken to prevent it.

or something along those lines.

So Bangkok should have sunk back in 2003 or maybe it never will. Can someone point me to a serious research someone has done on this and not some blog?

This remind me of something, this news is fake, bangkok is not sinking at all, they just try to get a lot of tourism to bangkok, you know... Lets go to Bangkok before its to late!!!!! So the whole world must come to see Bkk as soon as posseble. Like Atlantis.

That was in Italy like that with the tower of Pisa, it was falling over, so everyone rushed to see it before it collapse. That joke made a lot of money.

So now... Bangkok is sinking !!! Get your @@s over here before we Disappear under The Waves. If that is not working.....

Soon !!! New dive spot , explore underwater Bangkok !

Typo on my part

I doubt very much if tall buildings are causing any sinking of the land. Major buildings are piled down to bedrock to support their weight. I believe this rock is about 30m down, and non major, certainly 20 floors or less are supported on friction piles. It is more likely that these friction piles are becoming less effective as the earth supplying the friction dries due to overuse of groundwater. Whatever the cause of the problem high rise buildings do not transmit their weight directly onto the land and are not the major cause. The seas are rising mm per annum and this is causing an apparant sinking and the overuse of groundwater will definitely cause a degree of sinking and not just the use of it in greater bangkok but many miles outside of Bangkok, up to several hundred miles.

I think they may be on to something here.......did they just figure this out?

Anyway, a study tour to Vienna would do them good me thinks....

And what makes someone a water engineering expert? a degree from Chula?

Are you sure you don't mean Venice. Vienna is on a pretty solid footing and is not sinking yet.

Venice is the place with the canals and gondolas.

UH, are the dams built better than the bridges?

Or the toll way fly overs ?

The thing that puzzles me i have been living in a condo in Bangkok for nearly 20 years., if the ground is sinking at the rate of 1 cm per year thats 20 cm. surely thats enough for me to notice? Floods in Bangkok were much worse when i lived here 35 years ago.. Sukhumvit was regularly waist deep under water. Can better drainage really explain the improvement taking into account how much the land must have dropped?

My personal guess is that global warming and the rising of the seas is a much greater risk.

And studies have shown that a lot of the flooding in BKK (particularly Klong Toey and Sukhumvit), is caused by klongs being filled in. BKK's elders knew far more about water and flood management in the 1800's than today's boffins.

I am amazed that idiots still purchase condos even though they must know the place is sinking.

Vienna sinks too.....great tourist destination.....and it doesn't stink anymore....sink stink get it? harharhar

Put that bottle down