Action required to 'stop sinking of Bangkok'

webfact

................"Combined with natural sinking, the subsidence was accelerated by the high and prolonged use of underground water and the weight of tall buildings."....................

This has nothing to do with it. It is those big, fat, overweight, obese and flabby farangs who walk the streets in cargo shorts, Singha T-shirts and flip-flops. If the government deported them all tomorrow the city would start rising out of the mud again.

And why is the length of a dam wall measured in nautical miles by some posters ? Is it because it holds water ? cheesy.gif

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed that idiots still purchase condos even though they must know the place is sinking.

Vienna sinks too.....great tourist destination.....and it doesn't stink anymore....sink stink get it? harharhar

Vienna or Venice? Methinks you should stay off the turps 555

Ohh damn, Venice of course god how could I do a stupid mistake like that! People must think I am American who thinks Denmark is the Capital of Stockholm.

Or did you mean Stockholm is the capital of Denmark.

They could possibly take all the boats out of the river, and put them upside down on the road...in a straight line. The propeller action would be sufficient to blow up all the condoms on soi cowboy. All they need is to anchor those condoms to street lamps.

Edited by slipperylobster

I would implement 3 procdures !

1.) st ! Gen Prayouth must use §44 immediately and forbid hig rise buildings to sink;

( Implementation to be controlled by RTP )

2.) nd. put big - helium filled ballons under all high and low rise buildings ( which have more than 3 floors )

3.) rd. first floor have to be used in future as celler - like in Europe or somewhere else,

and all street have to be lifted for 2,4 meters !

Sametime, every house , home skycrapper owner is permitted to add 1 floor on tope for compensation !

Problem solved !!

I am amazed that idiots still purchase condos even though they must know the place is sinking.

Vienna sinks too.....great tourist destination.....and it doesn't stink anymore....sink stink get it? harharhar

Vienna or Venice? Methinks you should stay off the turps 555

Ohh damn, Venice of course god how could I do a stupid mistake like that! People must think I am American who thinks Denmark is the Capital of Stockholm.

or Bosnia is in Afrca or Irak :-))

A barrier dam from Chon Buri to Prachuap Khiri Khan, covering 100+ nautical miles, oh please! But I suppose they could always put a road on top and not have to bother with the ferry. And all this for a Bt500 million.

From Laem Chabang straight west to the other side is 84kms. That would be one hell of an impressive engineering feat actually. And totally could be done. Start at both sides and just fill the ocean with Rocks to build the land bridge. Have one or two locks to allow shipping in and out for boats with a big bridge above it.

Desperate situations create impressive solutions. And it most certainly could be designed as a highway to shorten the distance from one side of Thailand to the other. Quite literally making that trip in less then an hour.

Canada has Confederate Bridge which is a 13km Bridge to Prince Edward Island. Thailand could make this happen if they so desired. But damn, that be a lot fill.

The thing that puzzles me i have been living in a condo in Bangkok for nearly 20 years., if the ground is sinking at the rate of 1 cm per year thats 20 cm. surely thats enough for me to notice? Floods in Bangkok were much worse when i lived here 35 years ago.. Sukhumvit was regularly waist deep under water. Can better drainage really explain the improvement taking into account how much the land must have dropped?

My personal guess is that global warming and the rising of the seas is a much greater risk.

And studies have shown that a lot of the flooding in BKK (particularly Klong Toey and Sukhumvit), is caused by klongs being filled in. BKK's elders knew far more about water and flood management in the 1800's than today's boffins.

Let her go! It will be the Venice of the East ...

It WAS the "Venice of the East" many years ago...but then they filled in the klongs (canals)... which certainly didn't help with flooding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khlong

Interesting.

They've been warned about this for years and have had plenty of time to start building a new Capital City on higher ground elsewhere. As usual nothing will happen until the last man standing with his head above water will blame preceding Governments for the problem.

Any High So's with a brain will already be making contingency plans and buying property well away from the area and as many of them already own property abroad and/or upcountry the elite will not be affected. As for the rest...well; they will be considered to be about as important as they are now !

Actually, having run my slide rule over this project, I think it is quite excellent. My initial calculations ( on a rough scoping vis a vis similar dutch projects) suggest a return in the region of 500 or 600 percent. It could take years, maybe 20 to 40. It offers tremendous possibilities.

When the Dutch closed in the Zuiderzee they created a very large freshwater lake. In Thailand this could be a reserve water supply for Bangkok.

The Dutch also created a very large area of fertile land. A combination of agricultural land at say 100,000 baht per rai plus development land at 1,000,000 baht per rai yields the huge payback.

Also scoping the water engineer's costing, it looks like he is bang on the money, although I am not sure about the normal commission.

Anyway, speaking as an engineer, this is a project I would love to work on. Don't get me wrong please. I am not actually looking for a job, but if it comes my way, who knows??

The main issue here is water abstraction. Most of the settlement is in the upper strata and is evident everywhere alongside heavy structures which have deep piled foundations. Just look at the pile caps for most of the flyovers which appear to have popped out of the ground and the gaps evident everywhere between the back of footpaths and adjacent high rise buildings. Not so much with the old shop houses which have relatively short piles ( as I recall 6m for 3 storey and 8m for 4 storey was the norm) and often exhibit settlement damage.

The NRC discussed and voted to acknowledge the report and have the committee review it before proposing to the Cabinet in seven days.

Can gravity be bribed, and how many forests would need to be cut down to build the envelope.

Also, some of the new condos across the road from me don't look like they were built to last more than fifteen years anyway. So the race is on. My money is on shoddy-construction beating city-sinking by a nose.

The NRC discussed and voted to acknowledge the report and have the committee review it before proposing to the Cabinet in seven days.

Can gravity be bribed, and how many forests would need to be cut down to build the envelope.

Also, some of the new condos across the road from me don't look like they were built to last more than fifteen years anyway. So the race is on. My money is on shoddy-construction beating city-sinking by a nose.

Certainly a lot of the low rise building are unregulated. I observed one for some months where I used to live until recently. Looked like the so-called tradespeople were totally incompetent and just left to get on with it. No evidence of a construction company involved, so I presume the site owner just employed who he could get hold of for the minimum wage.

Not only was the construction shoddy, they seemed to be doing their level best to kill or injure the workers. Luck protected for them as far as I saw.