Thailand to launch crackdown on alcohol consumption

webfact

God they're inept! Bans and crackdowns left, right and centre but no "Education" about the things they're banning or cracking down on. And that's "everything" ... not just alcohol.

Do they really think selling alcohol more than 300 metres from a uni is going to stop a uni student from buying some...if they wished to?

Buffaloes.

On a similar theme, Chang Export is apparently being dropped from the product line, and Chang Classic being reduced in alcohol content to 5.5%.

Hope that's not true. Export is my favourite sad.png

Edited by MESmith

On a similar theme, Chang Export is apparently being dropped from the product line, and Chang Classic being reduced in alcohol content to 5.5%.

Hope that's not true. Export is my favourite sad.png

Last night bar owner assured me that he got the last case of Export on Samui. Credibility rating pretty high.

"prohibited from selling alcoholic beverages within a 300-meter"

I have not come across a Thai yet that accurately guess distance. A turn off up the road may be 10 km away yet they will say it is 600 metres. The bank just up the road is 25 km away. The road trip to Khon Kaen from Bangkok is 2 hours according to the cab driver yet it takes over 6 hours.

When using distance to enforce a law in Thailand there is bound to be confusion and it is open to abuse.

Don't close down or ban alcohol venues. The only real way to stop someone drinking is to change their mindset and attitude.

"Dry January" in the UK, the blog "Good Morning Sunday" in Australia and the Ocsober, again in Australia was initiated to create awareness to the issues of drinking and to change the attitude one has towards it.

If someone wants a drink then they will find on. If someone doesn't want a drink they can walk past 50 bars and not buy one.

I am agreeing with you Jamie... this is a first!

As I said in the other thread. When I was an underage drinker my mates and I would always find booze one way or another. Prohibition doesn't work.

Prohibition in any form does not work. Lived in Arkansas USA a while back, in a dry County. No bars, no alcohol sales whatsoever! Had to drive 10 miles to next County to buy alcohol. The traffic was immense Friday evenings to from that neighboring County. Dozen liquor stores and bars did brisk business from our County citizens. Prohibition simply does not work.

Its a couple of years since i was in this particular neck of the woods but from what i could remember Saudi Arabia was dry (allegedly, but we'll forget about 'Sid' - the national spirit of Saudi) whereas booze was available in Bahrain. Crossing the causeway to Bahrain at the start of the weekend from Saudi used to be horrendous, likewise was returning at the end of the weekend when all the brothers were heading home.

Totally stupid law. For one the sellers should ask any young customer for ID. Of course they won't so there is a law broken. Second the students will just go 300+m and get their alcohol so the law achieves nothing.

As for crackdowns...

Recall the supposed crackdown on any alcohol brand advertising that was supposed to take place nationwide -- meaning no beer pretties, no beer mats or glasses with logos, no beer brand signs outside, etc etc...

Well, I don't know about elsewhere, but around the areas of BKK that I travel, I've seen NONE of that being enforced anywhere.

It would seem, the Thai government enjoys promulgating all kinds of different rules and regulations, and then promptly ignores all of them in the real world.

As for crackdowns...

Recall the supposed crackdown on any alcohol brand advertising that was supposed to take place nationwide -- meaning no beer pretties, no beer mats or glasses with logos, no beer brand signs outside, etc etc...

Well, I don't know about elsewhere, but around the areas of BKK that I travel, I've seen NONE of that being enforced anywhere.

It would seem, the Thai government enjoys promulgating all kinds of different rules and regulations, and then promptly ignores all of them in the real world.

Unfortunately, some of them are applied. The ban on selling alcohol between 2 and 5 pm has reached my local Greyhound restaurant in Bangkok. A sign outside says so. A proper restaurant serving serious food is stopped from serving alcohol in the afternoon. Ridiculous but true. The same is often now found in malls. These places wouldn't be doing this if they weren't being told to, or else....

I'm amazed at the way Thailand is going on alcohol. I never thought Amazing Thailand would include puritanical drink laws.