Street racers now face tough actions under Section 44

webfact

Street racers now face tough actions under Section 44

11759523_10153501779003637_319362591_n-w

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has invoked Section 44 of the interim constitution to tackle street racing seriously with parents facing both imprisonment and fine if their kids repeated the same street racing.

The tough enforcement of traffic law to deal with young street racers or “Dek Wan” came as these defiant young racers continue to hold street racing with no regard to safety of other motorists sharing the same road.

The tough law was announced yesterday in the Royal Gazette which was released today.

Under the new law announced by the prime minister as chairman of the National Council for Peace and Order, parents of young street racers will face three months in prison if their children repeat the same crime in street racing, or a fine of 30,000 baht, and also will have their deposit placed as collateral confiscated.

Motorcycle and car shops which provide modification services to support street racing will also face a six-month shut down of their business and also a fine of 20,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/street-racers-now-face-tough-actions-under-section-44

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-23

at last someone is going to make the parents be held responsible for their kids actions instead of letting them get away with it, this is great news especially if they actually enforce it. The only pity is they arent going to seize and destroy the bikes as that would really p*ss them off, after all in most cases it is the parents that supply these kids with the bikes

Well you mention a (tough law) which address going after the parents and the business people who soup up, build modify, etc the racing machines. I can FACE a firing squad if I know they are fireing blanks from 50 meter. On top of that you give the parents a second chance to modify the deliquents behavior, which appears more a game of hide and seek between racers, innocent motorists , police if someone complains, and the parents who may be on the piss themselves, home in bed, but in either case have not a clue as to where their gene pool contribution is or what they are up to.

Tough dispcliine as the good Thai military should be quite aware involves big inconviences, pain , physical and mental sweat, tears and even blood shed at time. (hang nail nor ingrown toenials) do not get a purple heart or a allowance for danger posting.

I would venture a guess that the majority of the military staff officers have been guests and have observed various military groups from around the world whose reputation for toughness mades the Thai conscript look like boy scout , troop 1. I will not include the Thai marines/special forces or whatever title they go by in this class, YET. But if anyone in Thailand should know what TOUGH punishnment is the military should front of the line.and to date this military led government may not even be able to compete with sone of the public school teachers in punishment.that results in behavior modification, of students, parents, guardians,etc.

I think a 1000 baht fine for the kid, confiscating the bike and putting it in the crusher is sufficient for the first offense. Second offense 10.000 baht fine, confiscating the bike and putting it in the crusher plus 30 days in gaol and th parents have to pay 10.000 baht. Third offense, really get tough on them! biggrin.png

Why should the parents be responsible for their kids' action? Not the case in my state. Not the case in Europe AFAIK.

Why are the junta using Article 44 against a soft target like street racing? Should they not do something about the troubles killings in the South?

Back in January 1993 ,I knew I was coming to Thailand for the first time ,they was a uk newpaper reporter who wrote an article about mototcycle street racing ,being in to bikes as well, I read it,it was all about teenage kid racing motorbikes on the steets of Bangkok,then they where known as "Flys",a lot of the bikes were tuned and some betting took place,a lot of the bikes where tuned by some of the betters,what I can remember was that the local police did not do a lot to enforce the the road traffic laws.

Wind the clock forward to now ,will the new laws work , being in the Roaly Gazette,may help ,test of time will tell.

Military junta to deal toughly with young street racers and alcohol pubs

11759523_10153501779003637_319362591_n-w

BANGKOK: -- The head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday issued an order that will deal drastic legal action against young street racers and their parents in his effort to put an end to street racing that poses safety threat to other people sharing the same roads.

At the same time, entertainment establishments and alcohol pubs remaining open after official service hours will also be dealt with tough action that could mean immediate closure.

The order was issued under Section 44 of the interim constitution that empowers the NCPO head to bypass normal law promulgation process or red tapes to respond swiftly to problem that is a threat to public safety or national security.

The order was published and announced in the Royal Gazette today.

The important points of the executive order pertaining to illegal street-racing activity are gatherings by large groups of young motorists are deemed illegal as such mingling inevitably leads to races being organized.

Correspondingly, officials involved in policing such activity are given the authority to take whatever action they deem necessary to quell and prevent races from being carried out on public roads.

Furthermore, they have been granted the legal right to temporary seize any suspect vehicles that might possibly be employed in street-racing.

Critically, parents must play a more proactive role in the matter by ensuring that their children do not become involved with racing gangs.

Parents of youths found mingling with such gangs will find themselves facing legal action for lapse of parental responsibility.

One critical addition to this is that a repeat offence will result in parents either facing a maximum jail term of 3 months or fined 30,000 Baht or in worse cases both.

Shops that sponsor many youths to race in vehicles that they have prepared or have carried out modifications on vehicles owned by the racers themselves are also liable to face either a maximum 6 month jail term or a fine anywhere between 2,000 – 20,000 Baht fine or both.

The new order will also take official action on night-time entertainment venues such as pubs and bars that operate close to schools and universities.

The order will forbid the sale of alcohol to underage or under 20-year-old and authorities involved in the matter are granted legal powers to revoke permits of establishments that violate this order or even order their immediate closure.

Furthermore, these operators are then forbidden from ever opening similar establishments again as the possibility of having their permits renewed will be nonexistent.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/military-junta-to-deal-toughly-with-young-street-racers-and-alcohol-pubs

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-24

Ask yourselves this question. When you were between the ages of 15-19, did your parents always know where or what you were doing?

Well they certainly knew I wasn't racing up and down streets in a modified hot-rod type of vehicle.

Other than that they were, as you say.

@jacko45k. And how did they know that? Was it because you were a good little boy, reading the bible every night before you slept. My parents never had a clue what mischief I was up to due to trust on their part and some little white lies on mine. Yes mom, I'm going to the movies with the guys, be back at 12. Meanwhile it was racing cars and smoking marijuana.

So, let me get this straight - ฿7500 fine for killing the "round-the-world" cyclist, but ฿20k and up for street racing? Is THAT what they mean by Thainess?

yeah But.....but..... The round the world cyclist was just a farlang, not from glorious perfect Planet Thailand.

I fail to see why they make it so difficult for themselves. As other posters point out: just confiscate and crush the bike (or car). End of story.

No need for Section 44, wasting everybody's time going after the parents or issuing fines that will go into the wrong pockets.

And if the racers don't have parents, or live away from home? Then what? And who looks after any other family members or provides the family with an income if the parents are in jail? As usual in Thailand, not thought through. No thought of if you do A then what about B and C.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Instead of proposing death penalty for corruption, there should be death penalty for those useless street racing bums instead. They are a threat other people's lives. Does anyone truly believe that any fines or threatening parents with jail time will change any of that? Give me a break!

How about giving these kids a place to race and channel their energies into productive avenues? What is there to do for young people?

Unless you have money to go to the shopping centers, as most public spaces seem to be geared towards business only, then there isn't that much to do. If kids get bored then they find exciting things to do.

This isn't going to stop them.

The law almost cleverly places all responsibility on the parents, meaning any well-connected parents walk away, as do their children.

Amazing step in the right direction while catering to the elite by way of the corrupt legal system.

Brilliant showmanship, elegant spin, and protected self-interest simultaneously. Well done! The West could not have done it better.

The Prayuth Shuffle: Thailand Moves Forward! Thailand Moves Back! (You put your right foot in, you take your right foot out, you put your right foot in.....and you shake it all about).

thumbsup.gif