Video campaign urges Thais to give up bad habits (VIDEO)

webfact

Video campaign urges Thais to give up bad habits (VIDEO)

By Coconuts Bangkok

thaitay.jpg

BANGKOK: -- From littering and materialism to inconsiderate driving, a series making fun of bad Thai habits urges people to end these brands of "Thainess."

An anonymous video campaign takes on way-too-familiar habits that many still shrug off and see nothing wrong with such as:

1. Thais Tay (Thais Litter)

Thai people dump their garbage in rivers, streets, and any places with the No Litter sign.

2. Ghost Drivers

No matter how friendly and generous Thai people normally are, as soon as their hands are behind steering wheels, they turn into angry beasts, ready to crash in any object blocking their way.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/23/video-campaign-urges-thais-give-bad-habits-video

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-23

How about one on not standing still and blocking up both sides of an escalator so those of us who have not forgotten how to walk can get past.

Or even better one on allowing people exiting a lift to do so before charging in

How about one on not standing still and blocking up both sides of an escalator so those of us who have not forgotten how to walk can get past.

Or even better one on allowing people exiting a lift to do so before charging in

Or trying to force themselves onto buses, vans, the MRT or Skytrain before other passengers have even managed to get off?

Yes perfect! Well the selfish driving should be filmed by hidden camera's.

Tomorrow we do the driving without helmet against traffic kaphii somchai?

After that we do a whole series about those white minivans misbehaving.

And why can those people who live above the canals just dump all their garbage in the water? Nobody sees that?

A video about how to react when an ambulance is responding would be very useful.

And how to use a roundabout.

And who should stop at an intersection with a stop sign on the side road.

And why double-parking is a hazard.

And why it's rude and dangerous to drive your bike through the fresh market.

And why it's pointless doing a dangerous overtake only 5 meters from a red light.

And why you should not overtake a car that is indicating a right turn.

And.......

How about using 'flashing headlights' whilst driving not to indicate 'get out of my <deleted> way' but 'after you' or 'thank you' as in most countries?

In fact this defines 'Thainess' to me. When i first came here I nearly crashed several times assuming Thai's were flashing to let me go first

Now if they could spend a week in Japan the Thai people could learn just what a people that love their country and how to treat tourists to keep coming back, then Thailand really could be the land of smiles...

Self-parody is very healthy, both for individuals and for society as a whole. It implies recognition, which is the basic ingredient of change. I am encouraged to see this in the OP and hope that it becomes a permanent trend. It is also very amusing to watch.

Just wait for the director to be shot in a drive-by, and the producer to be charged with sedition. Nah, this is good, Thais need to learn that they are not the chosen ones. There was that viral video with the American guy talking about Thai eating culture... many many Thais were outraged that he should have the audacity to take the pi$$ out of them. This needs to change. I have a feeling though, that the message will be lost, misunderstood or ignored. Many Thais have a distorted comprehension of their place in the world, and simply don't care. /RANT

Now if they could spend a week in Japan the Thai people could learn just what a people that love their country and how to treat tourists to keep coming back, then Thailand really could be the land of smiles...

When I went to Japan last year (after living in Thailand for so long) it was amazing to see civilized driving again. I actually took pleasure in crossing roads and knowing the drivers would be careful and vigilant instead of 'win the race of nothing' at all costs here.

Good to see some self awareness. Self parody is very healthy.

How many more still do it that we do not see. No respect for law because no one inforcess the law and because they have been doing it for a long time!

Just step outside along any main road and you can see the Thais giving their middle fingers to the Royal Thai Police.

Parking directly under a No Parking sign without consequence.

I enjoy the old "hazard light going straight" chestnut. Or the old if I flash, it's OK for me to drive directly towards you in a deadly game of chicken that "you" will lose if you don't get out of "my" way. Endless source of entertainment (Not to mention death).