The baht for my USA friends

Over the past thirty-plus years I've seen the baht go up and down many times and, no, I've never noticed that.

for you then....all the prices stay as they are? I mean...were not things cheaper 30 years ago?

I spent about the same amount of years in Asia (not particulary all in Thailand)...and I do recall the beer, food and hotels have always increased, but never went back to the same price as they were 30 years ago.

I believe if you are paying for it in USD the price of beer in Thailand is cheaper today than in 2010.

Nope...I only pay in baht

2010 Tawang daeng...80

2012 Tawang daeng...100

2015 Tawang daeng...140

see...price only goes up...never down

I don't believe you. None of your income comes from the West? It does not negate my point either way as 99% of the people reading this rely at least partly on a Western currency.

Silly. I always pay in baht. My money is converted to baht by XE. I never get dollars here. XE sends baht to my baht account. How many people pay their bills in dollars?

For me. More baht show up in my account monthly ..as the rate goes up. But prices also go up. Historically..over 30 years the beer, for example, also goes up. Whenever the baht dips, the beer never dips...it either stays the same or goes up regardless.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah c'mon guys, being a little hard on yesican. Probably most of us who would read this post are a bit interested in ebb and flow or international exchange, so it isn't such news to us. But there are plenty of guys who focus on beer and nookie and are clueless beyond that. They probably won't read this.

Price of nookie, like the nookie itself, is elastic.

Price of most tangible objects is not. And, yes, I agree with the lobster guy, prices often rise in response to the exchange rate, but usually more than the difference, rounded up to the nearest 5 or 10 baht, but seldom decline when the exchange rate retreats.

For a moment, I thought you were talking about inflatable sex toys, but I think you are attempting to use econ terms.

To say it hasn't been priced until this week just tells me that you will have a hard time earning that Ph.D. (unless of course it's from Ramhkamhaeng, or any other Thai university for that matter)

Steve, I'm curious -- do you have any degree from any Thai uni? I do, and it was a hell of an effort, if only because I wasn't a native speaker. Do tell, please.

its a goddern pay raise.

the one i was asking obama about before.

4 years ago..i was gettin 28.50..now it is more than 34.50.

in english thats free rent and a free brand new car (15000 baht increase)

car payment is 9500 and rent on a 5 bedroom 4 bath house in CM is 5000

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahgigglem.gif

new york ...rent is 1,500 dollars.... mom and dad could barely afford.

Edited by slipperylobster

BTW Greece is STILL not settled. They actually have to DO the reforms. They could still crap out. IMHO

Greece is just sucking the cash cows (EU and IMF) until the cows eventually kick them away for non-payment of loans. Greece just seems to be a money pit.....get a new loan to pay off the old loan...hoping the cash cows will eventually just write-off the debt which they may just do....yeap, Greece appears just to be a tax dollar money pit.

Edited by Pib