What part of Thailand has the coolest temperatures?

fish fingers

oops...answered my own post, when trying to edit...just read below

Time of year is everything. I suppose, during the hot season...everywhere is bad.

Sea breezes may make it seem cooler (any island)

From December to February, however..Udon Mueang is colder than Chiang Mai Mueang. I am sure Chiang Rai is up near the top as well.

it is on the tallest elevations, of course..that it gets really cold.

Doi Inthanon can have frost......and I was downright cold in Doi Ankhan.

Mae Hong Song..is pretty chilly (especially the higher parts).

Loei has a place that sets records..as well. (fogot the mountain). Also Petchabun.

Clear nights..at the highest elevations..are always nice...but heats up in the day.

Edited by slipperylobster

Different things at different times of the year - Warm days, cool nights from September through end January, hot and polluted February through end April, very hot May/June, wet July through September.

September through January is the nicest time for many, December can be quite cold and often freezing at night in the mountains, complete with ice, fog and hypothermia.

For the record Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are miserable, reaching 40C temperatures many days of the year which you can verify with statistical weather data. And it takes a lot less than 40C to bake you in those places. But I agree the self inflicted smoke that chokes the north half the year sending hundreds of thousands of people to the hospital for respiratory problems is madness.

The key to cool climate in Thailand is not north, it's up. Every 1000 meters of altitude the temperature drops 5 or 10C. And with cloud cover, rain, and wind all of which are more common in the mountains the temperature drop is most pronounced. I live on a mountain known as the little Switzerland of Thailand. Weather is mild all year round--not just during a certain season. Driving down the mountain the transition from cool to hot is astonishing. My dog will be panting in the heat at regular altitude or up in the mountain burrow in a blanket to stay warm. It's that different. Many mountains exist in Thailand where you will find mild, coastal California type weather year round. It's not north that is the key, it's up.

Phu Rua in Loei sets the records, but you can't live up there!

Otherwise, I think Umphang, in Tak, has probably the coolest winters.... but it is unlikely you'd want to live there either.

From the areas that you would specify as populated lowland, Loei is indeed the coldest.

We live somewhat close (about 100 km).

Every year in December/January they reach nightly temperature in the single digit Celsius range.

We usuallt reach 11 C or so.

9 C = 48 F.

Sure the mountain tops are colder.

For the record Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are miserable, reaching 40C temperatures many days of the year which you can verify with statistical weather data. And it takes a lot less than 40C to bake you in those places. But I agree the self inflicted smoke that chokes the north half the year sending hundreds of thousands of people to the hospital for respiratory problems is madness.

The key to cool climate in Thailand is not north, it's up. Every 1000 meters of altitude the temperature drops 5 or 10C. And with cloud cover, rain, and wind all of which are more common in the mountains the temperature drop is most pronounced. I live on a mountain known as the little Switzerland of Thailand. Weather is mild all year round--not just during a certain season. Driving down the mountain the transition from cool to hot is astonishing. My dog will be panting in the heat at regular altitude or up in the mountain burrow in a blanket to stay warm. It's that different. Many mountains exist in Thailand where you will find mild, coastal California type weather year round. It's not north that is the key, it's up.

Khao Khor which is where you live I assume is nice and Phu Tab Berk also gets nippy.

Substantially the better shopping malls, if being too hot is s serious problem Thailand not for you

Having said that we only have air-conditioning in the bedroom and generally run around 27/28 but recently all too often I retreat to bedroom and air in afternoon and watch TV 39/40 and 41 plus too much for me!!

Pai up in the mtns has tourist amenities and such and might be livable for farang if need those amenities of restaurants etc.. - can get pretty cold up there at night… doi Inthanon - probably coolest.. - can see my breath if go early morning to Doi Muser in January...

Chiang Rai gets pretty damn cold in winter, but is still ridiculously hot March-July. Also, after the winter you have to deal with the smog from the burning countryside - it might seem like a minor problem, but it's seriously awful while it's going on day to day.

Hmm. My fiancée is in Ubonrachathani. I hope having lived in Arizona the last ten years will make the transition not too strenuous. blink.png

There's no comparison, Arizona is very dry heat, here there's a lot of jungle hence quite humid, it feels totally different.