Buddhist Lent day declared National No Drinking Day

Lite Beer

Buddhist Lent day declared National No Drinking Day

IMG_20150724_233051-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government has declared this year’s Buddhist Lent day which falls on July 31 as the “National No Drinking Day”.

Addressing the public in his weekly “Returning Happiness to the People” programme, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha urged all Thais who are Buddhists to observe the teachings of the Lord Buddha and to practice the five precepts during the long weekend next week which include Asalha Puja and Buddhist Let days.

He said that it was not necessary for non-Buddhists to also observe the five precepts as guidance in the pursuit of their daily life.

For those who plan to travel upcountry during the long weekend next week, the prime minister advised them to stay tuned to traffic reports, to drive carefully and to avoid drinking for their own safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/buddhist-lent-day-declared-national-no-drinking-day

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-25

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it only Friday 31 that we can't buy a drink, or the whole weekend?

Both Thursday and Friday.

Two holidays, one full moon. Abstaining from bad things: alcohol, gambling, messing about (other than with your official wives) for Lent is a goal.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/782233-public-holidays-2015/

30 July (Thursday) Asalha Bucha
31 July (Friday) Wan Khao Phansa (Beginning of Buddhist Lent)

As a free thinking individual, I think this massively infringes on our rights.

As someone who recently gave up drinking, I don't really give a damn.

As a free thinking farang in Thailand, you basically have no "rights". except to remain silent.

Fortunately for you, you have given up the drink, others on here, as usual, go

into panic mode at the sheer thought of being unable to buy their tipple on a Buddhist holiday. Prior planning, blah de blah.

I don't drink much as it is but it seems this government is constantly trying to find ways to reduce the amount of drinking in the country. It almost seems as if they're, oh you know, forcing their thoughts on alcohol upon everyone else. I suppose that's par for the course here though.

Alcohol is a big problem. A day off drinking, with a national holiday is not a bad idea.

But it shouldn't be a 'religious' issue. The Buddha never ordered people to do anything. He made suggestions, and rules for those wanting to join him in the monkhood. But he never gave commandments.

Curiously, it seems in early Buddhism there were only 4 precepts, not 5. The precept that was missing was the drink/drugs precept - that seems to have been added in later (probably within the Buddha's lifetime)

Alcohol is a big problem. A day off drinking, with a national holiday is not a bad idea.

The sale of alcohol is prohibited, not the consumption. The PM is simply "urging" people to abstain.

A four-day week-end? Party on.

If alcohol is a big problem (and it no doubt is here) then maybe it's time to address the issue with a comprehensive set of health, tax, labeling, sponsorship and education initiatives, rather than dropping a one-off in your weekly "Sermons"?

Net. net - better to keep the masses uneducated, liquored up, indebted and down on the farm. What's good for ThaiBev is good for Thailand.

The 5 precepts that a Buddhist layman should follow...

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from the destruction of life.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from falsehood.

5. Suramerayamajjapamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from intoxicants that cloud the mind and cause carelessness.

But it shouldn't be a 'religious' issue. The Buddha never ordered people to do anything. He made suggestions, and rules for those wanting to join him in the monkhood. But he never gave commandments.

Curiously, it seems in early Buddhism there were only 4 precepts, not 5. The precept that was missing was the drink/drugs precept - that seems to have been added in later (probably within the Buddha's lifetime)

If someone cannot take one day off from alcohol in a week, then they have a problem.

As a Farang living in a host country unlike other Farangs living in other host countries ie UK I will glady abide by my host countries laws and religious holidays. If you realy cant go a couple of days without booze im sure there are AA meetings somewhere in Thailand

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from the destruction of life.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from falsehood.

5. Suramerayamajjapamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami: I observe the precept of abstaining from intoxicants that cloud the mind and cause carelessness.

Those 5 precepts will mean Pattaya will be closed on all counts that day then ?

oh yea? 100% Thais I know break the first one as they are not vegetarian and kill 'by proxy' when they eat meat etc. (except on 'special' days lol). They justify this as "I did not do it personally" lol what hypocrites!

as for the others.... same, same

If it is not necessary for non-buddhists to observe the no drinking day, why can't we buy a beer at a restaurant on this day?

You are in Thailand so shouldn't you follow Thai customs and rules???????????????????????? Or do you think you are so special that you can do what ever you like??