Backgammon in Pattaya?

Anagami

you do know gambling is illegal here??????

So we can expect to see the police arresting the people running the state lottery then?

Backgammon is a great game. I would assume that if you fished around Pattaya Tai / walking street area one of the middle eastern places will have boards set up ready to go. Or, start a club? Find a bar that is quiet and near you, speak to the gaffer, and once a week all meet up for an afternoon.

Those of you who are interested in meeting once a week to play, please PM me with:

- your name (first name or nick will do)

- availability (days and times)

- your level of backgammon experience (complete beginners welcome)

Thanks guys. I will leave this on for a few days, and then I will be sending out an email about the first meet-up. biggrin.png

You cannot be serious?? It is illegal to play cards here, try and buy some.

Can buy them anywhere. Family mart across the street from me has them on the shelf behind the counter, next to the cigarette lighters.

you do know gambling is illegal here??????

So we can expect to see the police arresting the people running the state lottery then?

Backgammon is a great game. I would assume that if you fished around Pattaya Tai / walking street area one of the middle eastern places will have boards set up ready to go. Or, start a club? Find a bar that is quiet and near you, speak to the gaffer, and once a week all meet up for an afternoon.

The lottery is run by the government, so OK anything else is illegal, get ready to pay the police off, or visit the bangkok hilton.

Backgammon is not illegal. According to the gammonvillage site, open tournaments have been played in Thailand for many years, the last one reported being at View Talay Villas in 2014.

Playing cards is not illegal. Pattaya and other places have popular bridge clubs and Thailand has a national bridge team.

They don't have to involve playing for money or bribing the police.

I would have thought if cards were illegal so dice would be to...

I am sure if any Thai saw dice they would assume you were gambling, even if it were snakes & ladders you were playing,

Get caught playing Monopoly... just try explaining it is only pretend money... I can see the headlines now... "Big money forgery gang caught"...

• 1 month later...

I've just arrived here and I'm keen to play backgammon. I lived in Ireland and played there at national level (but never made it more than half way up the competitions!). I'm living in Jomtien and I need to buy a new board. How about starting a league? I know a girl who wants to play as well

Those of you who are interested in meeting once a week to play, please PM me with:

- your name (first name or nick will do)

- availability (days and times)

- your level of backgammon experience (complete beginners welcome)

Thanks guys. I will leave this on for a few days, and then I will be sending out an email about the first meet-up. biggrin.png

First name Pete

Available 24 X 7

Played at national level in Ireland

Had a beautiful Syrian board inlaid with mother of pearl and ivory but couldn't bring it with me

A post has been removed:

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

Please use the PM function to communicate with other members

• 5 months later...