2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

Lite Beer

2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

By Khaosod Eng.

14378934601437893558l.jpg

Police raid a bar in Pathum Thani that violated the junta's new booze ban by selling alcohol within 300 meters of a university, 25 July 2015.

PATHUM THANI — Two bars in the northern suburb of Bangkok were the first establishments to be shut down under a new order issued by the military junta that bans selling alcohol within 300 meters of universities and schools throughout the country.

Junta chairman and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha issued the ban on 23 July by invoking Section 44 of the interim charter, which grants him authority to unilaterally enact legally-binding orders.

The ban prohibits the sale of alcohol "in the vicinity of educational establishments" and student dormitories.

Thai officials have clarified that "vicinity" refers to a 300 meter radius around any educational establishments, an all-encompassing term that includes schools, vocational colleges, and universities. The maximum penalty for violating the prohibition is a losing a license to sell alcohol.

Acting under the new order, police officers raided two bars close to Rangsit University in Pathum Thani province shortly after midnight on 25 July and shut both places down.

"Both bars are situated close to an educational establishment and student dormitories, which is considered an offense under the NCPO's order about selling alcohol near educational establishments," said Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawut Thawornsiri, deputy chief of the Thai police, using the formal name of the junta, the National Council for Peace and Order.

The two bars are called Bungalow and M.3/2.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437893460

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-26

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is happening in Thailand? Words are being turned into actions.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

Give it 6 months and we will see if the drive towards this policy continues.

Looks like a typical place for the Thai youngsters. I wonder how many such places are allowed and licensed in Western countries. If I remember correctly some still consider 21 the legal age before alcohol consumption is allowed.

"Thai officials have clarified that "vicinity" refers to a 300 meter radius around any educational establishments, an all-encompassing term that includes schools, vocational colleges, and universities. The maximum penalty for violating the prohibition is a losing a license to sell alcohol."

So if one stops selling alcohol, one can keep the license to sell alcohol....but if one insists on selling alcohol with that license, one may lose the license to sell alcohol. Check.

Looks like a typical place for the Thai youngsters. I wonder how many such places are allowed and licensed in Western countries. If I remember correctly some still consider 21 the legal age before alcohol consumption is allowed.

Yes, the USA I think. Or at least parts of it.

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

Token action for a nonsense policy, done in order to mask and draw attention away from all the failed policies.

Meanwhile, illegal fishing continues using trafficked labour...

yawn, anyone remember the last junta in 2006 that brought in the law (or were going to) to ban all alcohol sponsorships and billboards on football games were blurred out etc etc? This will all revert back to normal either later on or as soon as the junta steps down, same old

That planet you live in on your lonesome Jamie, what's it like?

Do you have even the slightest grasp how much damage this will do to the already struggling tourist industry (swarms of Chinese tourists do not make up for the damage to Thailand from the loss of high end tourists) and an imploding economy. I guess not.

The transfer of bad officers to "inactive posts" is widely regarded as a national joke. It's rewarding crooks - then, you seem to be an uncritical flagwaver for any nefarious and dodgy behaviour as long as it's actioned by the junta.

Yes, the USA I think. Or at least parts of it.

All of it.

I understand the point, police are actually enforcing a law. The fact that it is a ridiculous law kind of makes a mockery of their enforcement.

You have to wonder if their is going to be any relativity in this. Should a large entertainment area be forced to close because there is a small private school hundreds of meters away? If so, what sort of pressure is going to be applied to the school owners? Will schools be allowed to open in an area where much more business activity will be forced to cease trading?

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

Not sure how long the law has been around, but for a few years now enforcement has been discussed. Could that be enough 'fair warning' ?

Mind you, the way things are (were?) done in Thailand anyone just closing down their 'bar' because of laws would see their space vacant for less than a week as other 'entrepreneurs' would jump in quickly.