2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

Lite Beer

The issue is not bar closure , the bigger issue is that the general & co actually think by closing bars it would improve the education.

Sadly powers in charge either do not understand or simply scapegoating as tackling the real problem with education is Out of their reach or comprehension

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naughty students. Enjoying themselves on a Saturday night. Shame on you !

Am I missing something here.You cannot sell alcohol in a bar under 300 mts from a school of some sort.Now if this in

cusive to all customers (not just school kids) then yes this is crazy.Why on earth can't you put the onus on the owner to just bar all schoolers,after all they all have an I'D so you know they are at some school somewhere ??????

Edited by biplanebluey

Naughty students. Enjoying themselves on a Saturday night. Shame on you !

Am I missing something here.You cannot sell alcohol in a bar under 300 mts from a school of some sort.Now if this in

cusive to all customers (not just school kids) then yes this is crazy.Why on earth can't you put the onus on the owner to just bar all schoolers,after all they all have an I'D so you know they are at some school somewhere ??????

What is happening in Thailand? Words are being turned into actions.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

Give it 6 months and we will see if the drive towards this policy continues.

In his typical rule by decree manner Praut issued an order and made thousands of legal businesses illegal, put countless jobs at risk, and further damaged Thailand's already weak reputation as a good place to invest and do business. As the full article points out, this law in unlikely to be strictly enforced, it will simply provide police and government officials a tool to extort money from previously legal businesses.

It's difficult to put a positive spin on this, but djjamie is trying.

You probably don't know how this all started. Well about here 2005-11-17 with a few periods per day able to sell alcohol, restrictions on locations, etc., etc. And time enough to prepare "Such policy will be effective from 1st January 2006 onwards."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/51117-midnight-ban-on-alcohol-now-in-effect/

Edited by rubl

If they truly enforce this rule, there are a BUNCH of bars in Chiang Mai gonna be closing down.

Not very well thought out. These kids won't walk FIFTY meters if they or a friend have a moto handy.

Just more drinking and driving ahead.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

yes great! spreading your form of 'happiness' where people lose jobs, people cannot choose to drink and ad-hoc laws are made up as they go along

you don't think these people will go somewhere else and drink? who are they harming??? What is happening in Thailand? it is ruled by a Military Junta you fool

You see how all the police officers are smiling....like as if they want to be there arresting people ...rather they would want to be there drinking themselves and partying along with everyone else ...lol

Cheers

Heard from one affected bar owner who said she will simply give the drinks away for free and just get a big tip from customer instead. Should be fun to see how that works out. If they start to police age limits what happens to the many bars and restaurants that have teenagers living upstairs and working for the family? This has to be the dumbest law ever. It will accomplish nothing at all while putting many workers out of a job. It will stick people who have long leases in deep trouble as they will not be able to pay the rent selling soft drinks. Tourists will only shake their heads in disbelief. It doesn't affect me at all but you have to feel for the poor buggers who will lose their shirts. One owner I know just walked away from a recent haf million baht refit. The only good thing was the lease was just about to be renewed. I hope this law has a short life.

This is really an erosion of peoples rights and if people want to study and drink they should be able to do this. but closing bars robs hard working people their income....Will the Government replace this with government money???? dont think so.

yes great! spreading your form of 'happiness' where people lose jobs, people cannot choose to drink and ad-hoc laws are made up as they go along

you don't think these people will go somewhere else and drink? who are they harming??? What is happening in Thailand? it is ruled by a Military Junta you fool

Personally I blame the government which started all this in 2005.

BTW the whole idea is that 'these' people go drink elsewhere, that is those people who are old enough to be able to legally drink alcohol in a public establishment. The "who are they harming" I'll ignore. You can find enough about that in your country of birth I'd say.

You see how all the police officers are smiling....like as if they want to be there arresting people ...rather they would want to be there drinking themselves and partying along with everyone else ...lol

Cheers

They're not smiling because of any possible arrest but rather for all the new payment possibilities. They'll be knee deep in tea money!

This is really an erosion of peoples rights and if people want to study and drink they should be able to do this. but closing bars robs hard working people their income....Will the Government replace this with government money???? dont think so.

I may be wrong, but I think that a government or issuing government department can withdraw at any time a license to operate an establishment which sells alcohol. Of course, I assume all places closed were operating legally, pay staff officially, have a clear administration, etc., etc.

Looks like a typical place for the Thai youngsters. I wonder how many such places are allowed and licensed in Western countries. If I remember correctly some still consider 21 the legal age before alcohol consumption is allowed.

Versus 20 in Thailand. whats the point you're making?

The point I'm making? That should be obvious. The government should lift the age from 20 to 21.

BTW the older I get the younger the students seem be to. All in the picture at least 20 I guess rolleyes.gif

BTW the whole idea is that 'these' people go drink elsewhere, that is those people who are old enough to be able to legally drink alcohol in a public establishment.

The problm with this specifically in Thailand, is that in most Thai towns and cities there are schools literally everywhere. In huge areas, and in many cases entire towns, there will be complete alcohol prohibition, not just bars but restaurants, 7-11s, and Big C, because there is literally no where that is not within 300m from a school.

Article 44 was enacted so the general could make sweeping changes to usher in the "New Thailand" It has nothing to do with students drinking and racing. It's just a good opportunity to make changes that will produce the end result he wants. He is determined to change the face and reputation of Thailand. With article 44 he has absolute authoritarian power. His mentor, the founding Prime minister of Singapore, Lee Kuan Lew. Lee used his authoritarian rule to helped Singapore to transition from a developing country to one of the most developed in the world, transforming it into a thriving international business hub. This is what Prayut is doing. He wants Thailand to be the "hub" of Asean. To do that he must make swift changes. Alcohol consumption, road accidents and human trafficking, just to name a few, must be addressed. Wrong or right history will be the judge.

BTW the whole idea is that 'these' people go drink elsewhere, that is those people who are old enough to be able to legally drink alcohol in a public establishment.

The problm with this specifically in Thailand, is that in most Thai towns and cities there are schools literally everywhere. In huge areas, and in many cases entire towns, there will be complete alcohol prohibition, not just bars but restaurants, 7-11s, and Big C, because there is literally no where that is not within 300m from a school.

Yes, that's a problem. Mind you, I think this law still needs some tinkering. Maybe reduce distance to 300 feet.

BTW as far as I understand the ban on sale is for bars, but not restaurants or shops. These have the restrictions which are already in place for ten years or so. Still as I said, I think this law needs some tinkering. Problem in Thailand though is that everyone always feels free to work around things. Flexibility only works when the base law can and will be strictly and objectively applied.

In his typical rule by decree manner Praut issued an order and made thousands of legal businesses illegal, put countless jobs at risk, and further damaged Thailand's already weak reputation as a good place to invest and do business. As the full article points out, this law in unlikely to be strictly enforced, it will simply provide police and government officials a tool to extort money from previously legal businesses.

You probably don't know how this all started. Well about here 2005-11-17 with a few periods per day able to sell alcohol, restrictions on locations, etc., etc. And time enough to prepare "Such policy will be effective from 1st January 2006 onwards."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/51117-midnight-ban-on-alcohol-now-in-effect/

I think there is a big difference between telling businesses they have to stop selling at midnight and telling businesses they have to close.

Can't they just move the Schools into a field or Park somewhere away from us Parents who are trying to drink n smoke away their inheritance before they think life's easy. Strange thing is the Kids I've spoken to wonder what some Adults ever learned..needless to say it's Thai Girls. Thai Boys can't leave Grannies Tit. Hence the dumb Rules.

And so it begins. It seems they are actually serious about this.

Let them eat cake..If they don't like it they can simply go to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to drink. The whole dam city allows that.

OK, but does Fort Lauderdale have a Buddhist community or the support the trading of monetary currency is for sensual pleasures?

That being said, I have talked to many Thai people who read about this new alcohol ban and I am wondering if they are correct. They say that don't worry about this, 'it is just a three-month ban for Buddhist Lent.' Is this correct?

Can anyone verify or deny this assumption created by the local propaganda machine and assumed by the local Thai people to be the actual truth?

Should we be seriously considering looking into properties or business is now outside the 300 m school and wat zone?

If you were 18 can you legally drink in Ft Lauderdale?

With this law you can more or less close all bars nationwide in all cities , because you can always find some kind of educational institution within this radius.

From now on all drinking wll have to take place in rice fields , fruit orchards and forests.

I think there is a big difference between telling businesses they have to stop selling at midnight and telling businesses they have to close.

Click on the link and read a bit more.

Actually this law kills a lot of birds with one stone. Illegal street bars, you know like the ones that appear around midnight on sukhumvit, will mostly disappear due to the wording of the law. Illegal entertainment venues will have to move to a designated entertainment zone. Maybe you'll be able to walk to McDonald's on Soi 5 without getting proposition ed in front of your child.