2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

Lite Beer

Looks like a typical place for the Thai youngsters. I wonder how many such places are allowed and licensed in Western countries. If I remember correctly some still consider 21 the legal age before alcohol consumption is allowed.

as i'm over 60ty, i dont worrie,;

And in Rangsit,

3 new dicos, 301 m off the university on the way !!

so it should be chnaged to 302 meters i guess !!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good idea rent a shop on walking street and announce it will open as a school unless people would like to contribute so you keep it closed Before people post that entertainment zones are not affected then they are thinking about the law passed under section 44 This law is not in force yet The law that came in overnight states ALL places selling alcohol will have to close even if they are big hotels or within entertainment zones

I want looking at buying a bar , however I told the owner I need 6 months to work on it before I move in ......

he said why do you need 6 months .. ?

I told him that's how long it will take me to run a tape measure from the bar to every school nearby.

So rather than shut down established businesses why not do some real work and enforce the drinking laws regarding age? If a person can't drink until they're 18 or whatever age it is in Thailand - then enforce that law. It's like banning motorbike sales because people don't wear crash helmets. Can't enforce a law? Let's dream up a new one then! If the bar serves under-age people then warn them, do it again, then close them down.

As a matter of interest, does this mean Tesco or 7-11 within 300 metres cannot sell alcohol now?

I believe the words used were "NO exceptions NO exemptions" so yeah seems they're in a spot of bother just as Big C, Makro,and whole sale outlets, restaurants, or hotels,,,

So now where ever you live/holiday, you need to have a printout map of all locations of any and all education facility's so you can take an overnight drive to your closet shop to get a coldly or two, Now after thousands of people and big business protest at the lose of their livelihood's how long will this keep up?

Look he's pulled another rabbit out of his ____ hatclap2.gif

Edited by aussieinthailand

I guess that by now students have worked out that they can buy alcohol 301 metres from their place of learning.

does that mean 7-11s, family mart etc within 300 metres cannot sell alcohol also?

I reckon many police and miillitiary people own entertainment places near schools, a few even in Sukhumvhit areas.

So, who decides which places get policed and which places are conveniently overlooked?

Try as they may, with best intentions, but each new law trying to stamp out any undesirable evil, will only open up further challenges and opportunities for other people or places to benefit from corruption.

As long as greed exists in the nature of humans, corruption will never be conquered.

Dont think western countries are any different either.

Many things that an average person would consider corrupt are accepted and legitimised by laws that are designed to hide the corruption and make it legal.

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

It seems like you mistake religious zealots --who misuse the current political situation to push their own anti-alcohol agenda-- for people who are interested in fair and meaningful application of the rule of law for everyone including business owners.

Perhaps this most ill thought out piece of legislation will last a week before being clarified.

DISAGREE

This so-called "law" is not the result of legislation but the result of the Junta invoking Article 44 by issuing a directive. According to the Junta's hand-created Interim Charter, any directive the NCPO (aka Junta) issues is deemed a law and considered constitutional.

An advantage of Article 44 is that declared violators do not have the right to due process of law. This is particularly harsh as people lose business income without reparation.

NCPO directives tend to be vague and broad that further allows the police to make arbitrary interpretations to fit any circumstance with the force of law so long as the NCPO does not object.

Law enforcement relying on NCPO directives are about as far removed from democracy as a government can get.

+1

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

I kind of agree with you pink but you know how it works give them a month they want 2 months, and on it goes look at the debacle with fishing boat licenses.

I thinks it's a pointless ruling, people will get alcohol if they want it.

What is happening in Thailand? Words are being turned into actions.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

Give it 6 months and we will see if the drive towards this policy continues.

In his typical rule by decree manner Praut issued an order and made thousands of legal businesses illegal, put countless jobs at risk, and further damaged Thailand's already weak reputation as a good place to invest and do business. As the full article points out, this law in unlikely to be strictly enforced, it will simply provide police and government officials a tool to extort money from previously legal businesses.

It's difficult to put a positive spin on this, but djjamie is trying.

This is complete nonsense, in Hua Hin "they" tried to ban Kitesurfing. It lasted 0 days. The lounges and massages on the beach were moved to one location, then to another, and soon everything will be back as usual. The only regulation left was a sensible "not more than 40 chairs per outfit"

These are rules made by overzealous sycophants to try to impress their boss.

It happens every time a new government is in power: the more you forbid, the easier for the cops to shake you down.

Just a thought - does this new legislation forbid only the SALE of alcohol?

If so - then an easy way round for local bars and restaurants is to offer a cover charge for entry which basically allows the venue to GIVE AWAY their alcohol.

That's what I would do. :)

I also find it ironic that RCA is exempt from this ban, considering that place is one of the biggest magnets for schoolkids to drink in the whole of Bangkok!!!!!!

Many years ago the government had this wonderful idea about 'zoning'. RCA was in a zone, that's why it's still exempt. At least that's how I interpret things.

If the Thai authorities are really going to set a 300 meter boundary and define educational establishments as all the various levels of schools (and not just colleges/universities), then there are thousands of places all over BKK immediately in violation of the law, including a whole lot of 7/11 outlets.

Thus far, at least in BKK, I see no sign they're going after all those kinds of places.

More likely it will be another "we'll enforce the law when we feel like it, but otherwise just ignore it" thing like motorcycle helmets, closing times, etc etc. But, it's still early in the going, so we shall see.

So rather than shut down established businesses why not do some real work and enforce the drinking laws regarding age? If a person can't drink until they're 18 or whatever age it is in Thailand - then enforce that law. It's like banning motorbike sales because people don't wear crash helmets. Can't enforce a law? Let's dream up a new one then! If the bar serves under-age people then warn them, do it again, then close them down.

As a matter of interest, does this mean Tesco or 7-11 within 300 metres cannot sell alcohol now?

C'mon, you really think Thailand cares about responsible service of alcohol? No way.

They don't care about age, and they'll serve anyone till they can't walk.

They might get responsible if they start losing their licenses and businesses. At least that would give them the opportunity to be responsible, this way, bosh -they're finished! Like you, I don't see it happening though

I guess that by now students have worked out that they can buy alcohol 301 metres from their place of learning.

OK here goes you anti army minority------Ginjag formally announces that he is totally opposed to this move by the PM.

If it is to apply across the board it will cause so much bad feeling in so many areas. as a poster already stated a school is less than 300 meters of Pattaya Walking street.

I agree with another poster 6 months grace should be given to all businesses that it affects.

Now having openly opposed the ruling I expect to be taken to a correction center, for re hab . and questioning. regarding my conduct as according to the minority anti PM posters. It is illegal. no one is allowed to question the army, massive censorship here you know (sarcasm)

And so it begins. It seems they are actually serious about this.

Let them eat cake..If they don't like it they can simply go to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to drink. The whole dam city allows that.

OK, but does Fort Lauderdale have a Buddhist community or the support the trading of monetary currency is for sensual pleasures?

That being said, I have talked to many Thai people who read about this new alcohol ban and I am wondering if they are correct. They say that don't worry about this, 'it is just a three-month ban for Buddhist Lent.' Is this correct?

Can anyone verify or deny this assumption created by the local propaganda machine and assumed by the local Thai people to be the actual truth?

Should we be seriously considering looking into properties or business is now outside the 300 m school and wat zone?

Edited by bitterbatter

What is happening in Thailand? Words are being turned into actions.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Don't you mean ........ 'is certainly repressive.'

There is a school less than 200-300m from Walking Street in Pattaya....

I'd say there's a school 300m away from pretty much anywhere, no ?

Since there are more bars than schools, what the police should do is raid the schools that are situated less than 300m from a bar, shut down the school, arrest the headmaster and teachers, and Bob's your (drunken) uncle.

This is going to be fun to watch.

All bars in Kata, Patong Bangla Rd. Half of Karon, Chalong, Rawai, Kamala, most of Phuket towns and Surin/Bang tao has to close.

Wow, this was a smart move by Prayuth to close down the tourism for westerners, the smartest ever to get Phuket back to the orientals, Chinese, Koreans and Thais.

Now I wonder, where are the Kamala police supposed to go and have a few drinks? The outskirts of Kamala, Chang club and alike maybe.

ROFL, now they've outdone themselves.

Do they say how big of a school it has to be, if not, then maybe 50% more bars has to close.

Edited by KamalaRider

I have not heard of any bars shutting down in Samui. On Soi 22 is a very large school and the bars around are all operating normally.

In our village alcohol sales is normal and just 100 meters away from the school.

Television news said this ruling was for high schools and up. There is no high school on Samui.

Whether or not small language schools will be a problem is yet to be resolved.

Looks like a typical place for the Thai youngsters. I wonder how many such places are allowed and licensed in Western countries. If I remember correctly some still consider 21 the legal age before alcohol consumption is allowed.

Versus 20 in Thailand. whats the point you're making?

Thai Alcoholic Beverage Business Association president Thanakorn Kuptajit recently told the Bangkok Post 125,000 people could lose their jobs as a result of this ban.

OK - but that's not important is it?

But those who support tighter restrictions on alcohol think the long-term benefits of the ban outweigh its immediate costs.

Really?? Are you so sure that your plan will succeed??

As it stands, the sale of alcohol is only allowed from 11am to 2pm, and 5pm to midnight. But the number of new drinkers in the kingdom grows by an average of 250,000 every year, says Mr Theera Watcharapranee, manager of alcohol control advocate Stop Drink Network.

STOP DRINK NETWORK> Sounds great. Could you define the term "new drinkers?!"

The network's own survey of 15 universities in Bangkok found that the number of establishments selling alcohol within a 500m radius has increased by an average of 72 per cent over the past five years.

And??

According to a World Health Organisation report published last year, 70.3 per cent of Thais abstain from alcohol. Yet the average amount of pure alcohol drunk by each Thai aged 15 and older stands at 7.1 litres between 2008 and 2010. This is double the average figure for South-east Asia.

I'm sorry - those stats leave me really confused.....

Drink driving is endemic, contributing to carnage on the roads during major holiday periods.

Over the five days of Songkran, or the Thai new year, in April, 364 people died in road accidents.

Yup - this is an issue - but there are such things as a police force and is it not really their job to police the roads during those periods?

70.3% of Thais don't drink? What's the WHO statistic for how many tell lies?