Thailand's move to return Uighurs to China is a massive moral failure

webfact

Thailand's move to return Uighurs to China is a massive moral failure
By Editorial Board
The Washington Post

WASHINGTON: -- AFTER A military coup in May 2014 that converted Thailand from democracy to dictatorship, the country bade farewell to free expression and fair elections. Now, it’s saying goodbye to its international obligations, too. There’s no starker example of Thailand’s legal and moral failures than its decision this month to send 109 refugee Uighurs — an ethnically Turkish Muslim minority — back to China, where they will almost surely face persecution and possibly torture.

China’s Uighurs reside mostly in the far-western region of Xinjiang, but their roots are Turkic. That sets them apart from the Han majority in China, where Uighurs have been systematically denied their rights for years amid mounting violence on both sides. Getting out of China in the first place has not been easy for the Uighurs, but with Thailand and countries such as Malaysia and Cambodia capitulating to Chinese repatriation demands, staying out is becoming just as difficult.

Thailand’s repatriation comes after a strong rebuke from the Chinese government after Thailand allowed approximately 170 Uighur women and children to travel to Turkey. China is Thailand’s second-largest trading partner, which makes it especially dangerous for the smaller country to antagonize its powerful neighbor.

Full story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/returning-uighurs-to-a-dangerous-home/2015/07/24/97d8d492-2be8-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html

-- The Washington Post 2015-07-27

"China is Thailand’s second-largest trading partner, which makes it especially dangerous for the smaller country to antagonize its powerful neighbor."

And this is going to be the ongoing problem for Thailand...additionally, should the US and EU install sanctions on Thailand....then in reality, China then would become their only substantial trading partner.

The bias towards China has become even more weighted since the military coup last year.....added to that, elections are constantly being deferred with latest date now 2017.....won't help diplomatic relations with the west one bit and Thailand shouldn't expect any favours.

For me the key issue is...

"But Thailand has bigger obligations it should keep in mind: As a participant in the Convention Against Torture, Thailand has undertaken not to send anyone in its custody back to a state where the individual would face persecution."

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CAT.aspx

If Thailand cannot be relied upon to uphold commitments in the international community then it is a failed state.

You guys want more Muslims? Great idea. I don't care where they come from;

Easy there, put down the pitchfork and torch before you hurt yourself.

I think there are ~ 4 million Thai citizens who are Muslim. Surely another 109 won't be the end of the world?

I think there are ~ 4 million Thai citizens who are Muslim. Surely another 109 won't be the end of the world?

What leads you to believe it would stop at 109? Oz experience shows that as soon as they arrive they start financing family and friends to immigrate illegally, IMHO a criminal act which should be enough to send them home.

What leads you to believe it would stop at 109?

Well, these people do not really want to settle in Thailand - I mean how many people legally become citizens in Thailand; you can ask both of them - , and they would have been relocated to another country, like Turkey, or one which has a reasonable humane policy re: immigration.

I think the point of the editorial is not meant to address an irrational fear of immigrants, but to honor your country's international commitments.

That said, it might be irrational to expect a Military regime to honor commitments of a previous government, even if it was a "Military" government.

And Thai regional "authorities" seem more than capable of "managing" immigrants both on land, and on the sea.

It's a non-issue, really. Nobody wants the Uighurs, simply because they support anti-government terrorism....wherever they are.

One country calls their resistors terrorists, another country calls them persecuted...the whole thing is about as transparent as mud.

Sex. lies and videotape all around.

Blah, blah, blah...... once again US preaching it's "holier than thou" ideas to other countries via media & President whilst visiting Kenya.

Hey, US mind your own country's business; fix your gun laws, fix your racial problems, fix your illegal immigrant problem, fix your corruption problems, etc, etc.

Uighurs are moo slums, and what a warm and embracing lot they are. Fail to convert to I slam and your on their death list (most of us are!), say anything bad about Mo hammered and your on their death list. If you happen to be female you can forget about your rights, you haven't got any. If your a gay person, your on their death list. That keeps cropping up!

And pedophilia is rampant amongst moo slums, what religion condones child brides as young as 8 or 9. You notice I didn't say 'other' in front of religion as it's more a cult than a religion.

I got no sympathy for Uighurs, none what so ever for moo slums at all. They don't deserve anything, except maybe, each other.

I expect the USA will be sending out a similarly worded message about Australia's treatment of boat people too.

Perhaps trade sanctions and other measures might be appropriate too.

Can the USA really preach to anyone about human rights?

Yes it can as it has a working legal system. Their external treatment of others is appalling but everything is subject to legal challenge and oversight. Thailand on the other hand has a d***tator who sits above pretty much everyone else and is not subject to legal process. It's a massive difference.

Thailand is not in any kind of way responsible for the Uighur problem. They not even likle to stay here. And most of all they are here illegal, so only sensible thing to do, is sending them back to their country os origin, and thats China.

In the same way, Thailand is not in any way, responsible for the Rohingha problem

And the US lack the moral authority to comment other countries about human right issues.

I expect the USA will be sending out a similarly worded message about Australia's treatment of boat people too.

Yes it can as it has a working legal system. Their external treatment of others is appalling but everything is subject to legal challenge and oversight. Thailand on the other hand has a d***tator who sits above pretty much everyone else and is not subject to legal process. It's a massive difference.

A "working legal system"? Well yes, of a kind, I suppose: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm

A system too where plea-bargaining has reached such a level of abuse and corruption that entirely innocent people go to gaol for years in order to avoid incarceration for life: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-21/american-nightmare-tyranny-criminal-justice-system

What leads you to believe it would stop at 109? Oz experience shows that as soon as they arrive they start financing family and friends to immigrate illegally, IMHO a criminal act which should be enough to send them home.

Forcing this ethnic group back to China or Turkey would be like Australia to force the Chinese-Australians or Japanese-Australians or even the British-Australians back to their ancestorial country. (Aborigines would have the right to stay.) However, unfortunately the more conservative Muslims have created a negative image around the world. Do they speak out against ISIS or terrorist attacks... or blend into society where they live? The other factor (which is politically incorrect to talk about) is how these conservative Muslims that live in prosperous countries have 6-8 children; where as on the average the main population of the countries where the refuges have been welcomed have the citizens on the average have 1-1.5 children. Look at the population statisitics of Germany. The average birth rate is less than one child;where as its immigrants have more than 5 children; thus the Germanic race (if that is the correct word) will be outnumbered.... so in 30 years maybe no more German beer and pretzels, we will see fruit juice and chicken kababs.

Forcing this ethnic group back to China or Turkey would be like Australia to force the Chinese-Australians or Japanese-Australians or even the British-Australians back to their ancestorial country. (Aborigines would have the right to stay.) However, unfortunately the more conservative Muslims have created a negative image around the world. Do they speak out against ISIS or terrorist attacks... or blend into society where they live? The other factor (which is politically incorrect to talk about) is how these conservative Muslims that live in prosperous countries have 6-8 children; where as on the average the main population of the countries where the refuges have been welcomed have the citizens on the average have 1-1.5 children. Look at the population statisitics of Germany. The average birth rate is less than one child;where as its immigrants have more than 5 children; thus the Germanic race (if that is the correct word) will be outnumbered.... so in 30 years maybe no more German beer and pretzels, we will see fruit juice and chicken kababs.

No it wouldn't.

A bit difficult for the Yanks to complain about Australian boat people. There hasn't been any boats for the last two years except for two boatloads of Vietnamese who were promptly returned home.

Thailand is not in any kind of way responsible for the Uighur problem. They not even likle to stay here. And most of all they are here illegal, so only sensible thing to do, is sending them back to their country os origin, and thats China.

Cool. Please get in touch with the Thai foreign ministry and let them know you are unhappy with their having sent 172 Uighur migrants to Turkey last month, instead of back to China. After all, that's what China did.

Blah, blah, blah...... once again US preaching it's "holier than thou" ideas to other countries via media & President whilst visiting Kenya.

Hey, US mind your own country's business; fix your gun laws, fix your racial problems, fix your illegal immigrant problem, fix your corruption problems, etc, etc.

First of all, The Washington Post is a newspaper, not the United States. Granted, it is based in the US, but doesn't speak for the government or the whole country. Secondly, I'll agree that the US has problems of their own that need fixing. We aren't perfect for sure. But we also are not censored. We don't have a culture of "face saving" so things do get fixed eventually and apologies are given for our sins eventually... Not so in many other countries. Here was a group of people that Thailand was obligated not to send back to China due to international agreements it made, but to placate China, Thailand split the difference. Sent half to Turkey where they wanted to go and were welcome and half back to China. Now Thailand must put on their big boy pants and deal with the international backlash. International backlash, meaning many different countries and the United Nations, not just the USA.

A bit difficult for the Yanks to complain about Australian boat people. There hasn't been any boats for the last two years except for two boatloads of Vietnamese who were promptly returned home.

There was word of a boat off the coast of Australia just last week. The government refused to acknowledge it. However, the new 'No Way' campaign by Australia expressly confirms if you arrive in Australia without a visa, there is no way you will be granted asylum. Whatever circumstances or age you are.

Which is in contravention of the human rights convention of fair treatment for asylum seekers.

Google 'Australian human rights commission' and you will see a recent report detailing the exact list of failings. Which I think the USA are not commenting on.

Funny About that?

There was word of a boat off the coast of Australia just last week. The government refused to acknowledge it. However, the new 'No Way' campaign by Australia expressly confirms if you arrive in Australia without a visa, there is no way you will be granted asylum. Whatever circumstances or age you are.

Which is in contravention of the human rights convention of fair treatment for asylum seekers.

Google 'Australian human rights commission' and you will see a recent report detailing the exact list of failings. Which I think the USA are not commenting on.

Funny About that?

The critical words being "if you arrive".

The Government has the fortitude to ensure that doesn't happen.

It seems many European countries want to/are following suit.

Can't see the Uighurs being too happy in Turkey now that the Turkish Government have been forces to respond to ISIS after the recent bombings.

First of all, The Washington Post is a newspaper, not the United States. Granted, it is based in the US, but doesn't speak for the government or the whole country. Secondly, I'll agree that the US has problems of their own that need fixing. We aren't perfect for sure. But we also are not censored. We don't have a culture of "face saving" so things do get fixed eventually and apologies are given for our sins eventually... Not so in many other countries. Here was a group of people that Thailand was obligated not to send back to China due to international agreements it made, but to placate China, Thailand split the difference. Sent half to Turkey where they wanted to go and were welcome and half back to China. Now Thailand must put on their big boy pants and deal with the international backlash. International backlash, meaning many different countries and the United Nations, not just the USA.

The US is critical of other countries whether it be, President, Gov't or media, other countries don't criticise the faults of US. Maybe,other countries should start to tell US to clean up it's act in regards, to Gun Laws only had 230+ years to fix, to racism,to poverty, etc. As for the Uighurs issue, the Thai Gov't, did as many countries do, in regards to illegal immigrants, was to return them to their country of origination, namely, China & Turkey. Often with illegal immigrants determining where they originate from can be difficult as they don't necessarily carry ID.

Presume US does same with illegal immigrants from Mexico. Also, the steps taken by Thailand comply with UN standards in such situations; it's only those who are ill - informed that try to create an issue that isn't.