Thoughts on M/C O Ring Chain Lube?

Over the years I have used loads of different lubes for chains, usually a standard chain (No O ring) ranging from melted Vaseline to some of the hybrid stuff from Motul.

My current bike uses an O ring chain and up to now the best performance I have found here in the varying road conditions in Thailand (dirt track to highway) is a mixture of 50% Auto ATF Fluid thickened with 50% Hypo 90 Gear Oil, it releases the grime and dust, (The Hypoy 90 on its own seems to make the grit stick)

The Motul spray I quite liked, it didn't hold grit, but it never really looked like it was doing much lubing, it was terribly sticky and a beast to get off your wheels or anywhere else it clings to - and at over 700 baht for a spray can was bloody expensive.

The ATF Fluid is a great lube for rubber O rings, so the combination seems to work well. Chain is cleaned every 300KM with Diesel, dried and then primed with this mixture, I am up to 15000K on the original chain and still cannot get more than 1mm of movement pulling the chain on the back sprocket. Standard Honda 1.5" slack, chain looks as good as new.

What do you guys use?

I used various chain lubes for years but have found that since fitting a chain oiler the chain lasts a lot longer and there is a bigger period between adjustments.

I know some people recommend scottoilers but we started using Tutoro automatic chain oilers. Works off the vibrations of the bike. I know Tutoro have a branch in Singapore.

TUTORO Singapore www.tutorochainoiler.com.sg TUTORO Singapore Facebook www.facebook.com/tutorosg

From what I have read and experience in Laos I would use a thin oil for dusty and off road conditions which would probably be fairly low speed and proper 'sticky' lube for faster highway riding. I also now tend to use light oil on the sides and 'O' rings and just put the sticky lube on the rollers. 'Veloil' spray seems OK and can be bought for 40B a can.

I used various chain lubes for years but have found that since fitting a chain oiler the chain lasts a lot longer and there is a bigger period between adjustments.

I know some people recommend scottoilers but we started using Tutoro automatic chain oilers. Works off the vibrations of the bike. I know Tutoro have a branch in Singapore.

TUTORO Singapore www.tutorochainoiler.com.sg TUTORO Singapore Facebook www.facebook.com/tutorosg

I have seen the Scotoiler, but have heard a few negative things about them, clogging, leaking etc. and can be a bit messy.

Cheers though, I will take a look at Tutoro, sounds interesting!

I use the chain lube Honda recommends. Not sure why you guys try to come up with special recipes. Let the engineers whose job is specificly that choose what is best.

So which lube is that then?

As far as my Honda manual goes it does not specify any particular brand -

"

Use dry cloth with chain cleaner designed

specifically for O-ring chains, or neutral

detergent. Use a soft brush if the chain is

dirty.

After cleaning, wipe dry and lubricate with

drive chain lubricant designed specifically

for O-ring chains. If not available, use SAE

80 or 90 gear oil."

ATF Fluid is probably one of the best conditioners of rubber seals that there is, so that mixed with the Hypoy 90 (which is a bit thick and sticky on its own becomes a nice lube.

I use the chain lube Honda recommends. Not sure why you guys try to come up with special recipes. Let the engineers whose job is specificly that choose what is best.

So which lube is that then?

As far as my Honda manual goes it does not specify any particular brand -

"

Use dry cloth with chain cleaner designed

specifically for O-ring chains, or neutral

detergent. Use a soft brush if the chain is

dirty.

After cleaning, wipe dry and lubricate with

drive chain lubricant designed specifically

for O-ring chains. If not available, use SAE

80 or 90 gear oil."

ATF Fluid is probably one of the best conditioners of rubber seals that there is, so that mixed with the Hypoy 90 (which is a bit thick and sticky on its own becomes a nice lube.

What I meant was to just use a lube designed for o-ring chains. I just bought mine at Honda.