Triumph Bonneville

I have a passion for vintage bikes and older bikes in general. In Europe I would go for a classic BMW R50/60/69S/90S or 100 from the 60s and 70s. But here they're all very difficult to find and the ones that pop up from time to time are crazy expensive.

So, I'm thinking that my next best bet would be a Triumph Bonneville. The Bonnie would suit my needs just fine...she's stylish, geared for relaxed riding, reliable, and with enough power to get you wherever you want to go.

For now, I've been doing some market research. I would rather buy a well maintained second hand than a new one. Seems that Bonnie owners really hang on to their prides, because I could find very few of them for sale (mostly older ones that are more expensive than brand new ones). I know that Triumph reduced the price this year and have sold pretty well since. For that reason I was quite surprised not to find any in the classifieds.

Are there any Bonneville owners here who care about sharing some first person experience with the bike, dealer service, costs, the good, the bad...

post-159090-0-48364400-1438006493_thumb.

post-159090-0-50677300-1438006561_thumb.

post-159090-0-29522200-1438006583_thumb.

Here in Sisaket there is quite a large number of Thai"s buying Bonnnies. We have a huge showroom/dealers in Ubon (M2 Motorsport) and all seem to be happy with their bikes. Most, however, seem to change the pathetically quiet pipes. I am not at all surprised that many pre-price drop owners are not swallowing their pride and losing a few 100k on their purchases.

I agree. From what I've read and heard on youtube, the pipes and the rear shocks would be the first things to go.

I guess it's just a matter of time before more post-price-drop Bonnies will hit the second hand market. I'm not in a hurry as I have 3 other bikes to ride in the meantime. biggrin.png One of them will have to go to make space for the Bonnie, though.

If you like proper classics and vintage bikes, you will be dissapointed in the Hinkley/Chonburi twins as opposed to the Meriden originals. Yes, they have the correct lines (ish) and look like a Triumph (ish), but they have zero character/soul/feel like the originals. Mate of mine in the UK whose ridden Bonnies/Tigers/Trophy's (twins) all his life bought a modern Triumph for his missus, he rides it occasionally, but reckons it's got no torque like the Meriden ones (weight i suppose) and is quite boring if you are used to the real thing. Admittedly, the Americans are making some beasts with this motor inc. 1100cc bored and stroked monsters. Motors are very over engineered and detuned as std. They are also good to look at once customised (check out bike EFIX or something similar) But hey, underneath the "timing cover" is an alternator (?!) and the "g/box cover" is a sprkt cover (?!). I've always thought they were a Kawasaki Z750 twin in Triumph clothing made in England. I ran my own Triumph shop in England for the Meriden twins for 15 years, and went through that period where Bloor was hassling the older Meriden dealers re the logo, so i never forgave him for that, as at that time new and old were completely different markets, unlike today.

Mike (luddite).

Enclosed a couple of pics of a PROPER Triumph, mine, owned from new since 1979, ie 36 years old. post-139129-0-75556800-1438055155_thumb.post-139129-0-71194100-1438055205_thumb.

Re my above post, maybe it came across as anti Hinkley or Bloor. I do have the utmost respect these days for what John Bloor has done for the British motorcycle industry and the Triumph name, it is a proper manufacturer competing healthily worldwide with their own unique models and brand image with established names ie BMW, Ducati and the Japanese. Unlike Norton and other famous names these days with production figures per annum of a couple of hundred rather than in excess of 50k. And nowt wrong selling on your history, just he did'nt do this in the beginning.

Perhaps for you Thaiguzzi the new Bonneville's are not the real deal but they are very easy to live with.

Most people wants a bike they can go out and start (electric) whenever they wants a ride and only doing scheduled maintenance as well.

Check out this US based Triumph Twin forum, hugely popular with over 50.000 topics (no shit), the Americans just love retro looking bikes.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twin-talk/

From what I can read on that forum, the modern twins needs to breathe better than they do when leaving the factory as you mention and the power will go up 10-15%, just as the air cooled Harley's.

I will not rule out that I get a Bonneville later on, lovely bike, timeless classic and I am happy to hear many buy them now here in LOS which will make it easier to find a 2nd hand one in perhaps 2-3 years time.

Thanks for the info Guzzi guys!

To be honest, if I would live in Italy, Triumph wouldn't be my first choice for a vintage bike. I would go for a BMW, a Ducati or a Guzzi. Still expensive, but much less than here...and with proper documentation.

Going through the classifieds in Italy, you'll find amazing bikes for as little as 150-200k baht, whereas here they would cost triple that and have been messed up by Thai mechanics for decades. It's just not a clever buy.

The Triumph is a nice compromise.

ThaiGuzzi, you are the one who used to race a Triumph dragster called The big one, (or something like that)? I think I came across a GT rider threat with your pictures. :-)

Perhaps for you Thaiguzzi the new Bonneville's are not the real deal but they are very easy to live with.

Most people wants a bike they can go out and start (electric) whenever they wants a ride and only doing scheduled maintenance as well.

Check out this US based Triumph Twin forum, hugely popular with over 50.000 topics (no shit), the Americans just love retro looking bikes.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twin-talk/

From what I can read on that forum, the modern twins needs to breathe better than they do when leaving the factory as you mention and the power will go up 10-15%, just as the air cooled Harley's.

I will not rule out that I get a Bonneville later on, lovely bike, timeless classic and I am happy to hear many buy them now here in LOS which will make it easier to find a 2nd hand one in perhaps 2-3 years time.

Correct, very easy to live with. Relatively low maintenance. I would prefer the earlier carb versions although the Americans can put carbs on the tuned FI models.

Am aware of that website, and along with several other Triumph/Britbike websites i regularly visit, all good.

Edited by thaiguzzi

Thanks for the info Guzzi guys!

To be honest, if I would live in Italy, Triumph wouldn't be my first choice for a vintage bike. I would go for a BMW, a Ducati or a Guzzi. Still expensive, but much less than here...and with proper documentation.

Going through the classifieds in Italy, you'll find amazing bikes for as little as 150-200k baht, whereas here they would cost triple that and have been messed up by Thai mechanics for decades. It's just not a clever buy.

The Triumph is a nice compromise.

ThaiGuzzi, you are the one who used to race a Triumph dragster called The big one, (or something like that)? I think I came across a GT rider threat with your pictures. :-)

There is a highly modified 8V Moto Guzzi Centauro, been turned into a cafe racer, bit tatty, but has potential, on the HD Playground website for around 300k, with book and plate. That is a good price for TH.

I bought a T100 Black Bonnie. I changed a lot of things on it, fork springs, suspension, light brackets, ignition, handlebars, seat, rear light bracket, headlight brackets....Now going for the air intake and exhaust. It is a great bike, lots of fun to modify...I love it. She is a keeper! Standard she is not so nice, but once you put your heart into it, she is a great platform to build upon. Yesterday someone was selling a green one on Bahtsold for 370K. I wanted a new one back in January but the waiting list was 8 months, so I got a second hand one, which I picked up in Loei. Things might be different now, as the hipster crowd have moved on to something else. Get one, you will love it....Change sprocket, exhaust, eliminate 02 sensors, take out airbox.....she's a beauty!

I like the red and white Bonneville Newchurch @ 435k

Also like the ducati scrambler with the termi pipes for similar money, or get the cheapest scrambler for 369k and put a local slip on for cheap and save a wad of cash for more goodies.... :)

Mt-09 sounds good too but I need to sell some bikes before buying anything new :(

I get the feeling the yamaha would be the most reliable but thsts just based on past experience and practically no issues with my Japanese bikes

Fantastic machine! Is it yours? R69S?

Smoothest ride I ever had.

Yes most of the old boxer twins felt nice and smooth, before buying one i asked for opinions from hardened bmw boxer fans, they told me if i wanted smooth and reliable not to get interested in any above 800cc as they dont run so sweet,

I then bought an R80/7 .. in short i cant imagine anything else that could have been less reliable, i must have spent 4 years of ownership cursing bmw almost weekly,

Back to the original post, i love the bonneville and would consider getting one but what would it be like to live with in and around bkk being air/oil cooled?