Happy(?) National No Drinking Day!

webfact

Happy(?) National No Drinking Day!
By Coconuts Bangkok

be.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Your paycheck will have to sit idle until the weekend hits, as it will be very difficult to buy any booze Thursday and Friday.

Thursday and Friday mark the Buddhist holidays of Asanha Puja day and Buddhist Lent day. The government has formally designated Friday’s Buddhist Lent Day as the “National No Drinking Day.”

Imagine if Thailand were to impose and enforce a widespread booze ban, this is what life would be like.
Banks will be closed Thursday and... [read more]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/28/happy-national-no-drinking-day

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-28

In before the inevitable "Don't they know this will KILL tourism in Thailand ?" groan and moan posts ! w00t.gif

(Not quite sure how I manage to survive without drinking everyday as it sure seems there are a lot of people out there who absolutely can't go a day without booze.)

In before the inevitable "Don't they know this will KILL tourism in Thailand ?" groan and moan posts ! w00t.gif

(Not quite sure how I manage to survive without drinking everyday as it sure seems there are a lot of people out there who absolutely can't go a day without booze.)

I feel sorry for tourists in Phuket who might find out too late that their hotel won't serve them, providing the management stick to the dictate.

It's not drinking or not drinking everyday just the principle of how things get done

Don't know about you but I'm gonna find a school to sit outside for a couple of days.......................coffee1.gif

No temptation for drinking there. Might need to bring the missus so that there's no temptation at all though........sad.png

tongue.png

That's the ones with the problems, I have a few Farang friends who live nearby, and to my knowledge, although they all like a drink, none

of them drink every day, there were two who drank every day, both of them are now dead through drink related illnesses.

It's not drinking or not drinking everyday just the principle of how things get done

Ho ho ho. I laugh in your direction.

Start a thread about banning the selling of (for example) durian or pineapple on the holiday.

Don't hold your breath until the first reply comes through. You may not make it.

Make no mistake, it's about the booze here on these threads.

Well, 39 years ago I discovered/realized I am an alcoholic and with the help of AA I haven't had to take a drink since. My life actually got a LOT better, and more fun as well (surprise!). I found not drinking was not an impediment to hanging out in bars. Nobody really notices if you're drinking Sprite instead of gin and tonic. Giving up cigarettes was much harder, and I didn't do it quite soon enough -- I've been diagnosed with emphysema, but it's still in an early stage. You're right about people not being able to go a day without booze, but surely they've had enough warning to stock up.

I respect the right of a country to have a buddist holiday and ask people not to drink. I love a beer but I think I can refrain for one day or 3, if necessary and the day I cannot I will know I have a problem. Feel sorry for those that find it such an imposition.

"Whilst traveling through Afghanistan, we lost our corkscrew. Had to live on food and water for several days." W. C. Fields

If W. C. Fields can do it, so can we!

While I don't have a problem one bit in doing without alcohol for 2 days or much longer I do feel sorry for tourists just getting off a plane after saving up and looking forward to there holiday in Thailand and find they can't have a drink on maybe there first night of their holiday. For many part of a holiday is to relax ,enjoy the ambience and bustle of Bangkok and sit in a restaurant and have a few drinks or bottle of wine. Also in my experience thei Buddha day abstinence doesn't work in towns and villages as the last time I was there for one of these days the locals were absolutely out of it by mid afternoon.

While I don't have a problem one bit in doing without alcohol for 2 days or much longer I do feel sorry for tourists just getting off a plane after saving up and looking forward to there holiday in Thailand and find they can't have a drink on maybe there first night of their holiday. For many part of a holiday is to relax ,enjoy the ambience and bustle of Bangkok and sit in a restaurant and have a few drinks or bottle of wine. Also in my experience thei Buddha day abstinence doesn't work in towns and villages as the last time I was there for one of these days the locals were absolutely out of it by mid afternoon.

My thoughts are the same. Imagine coming back to Land of Smells for your yearly visit to your favourite bar only to find it is closed .You have arrived Thursday morning then no drink 'till Saturday. Bars closed , bargirls eating somtam. Could be worse ,yer fav. bar is 200m from a High School. OMG !

Amazing how NON-drinking people takes interest in how much other people drink ... Is it forbidden to drink according to what ever crappy religion you belong ... ?

Perhaps because alcohol abuse affects the lives of a lot more than just the guy who's doing the drinking?

And where does it say it's forbidden to drink?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, right!

Nice try.

I can find a place to buy whatever I need 365 days a year.

A store owner flagged me down on a no booze holiday once and asked if I wanted some beer.

I said yes.

He spent a minute in the back room and then brought me out four beers.

Hidden in an empty whiskey box! cheesy.gif

Only in Thailand.