How will my child be exempted by Buddhist teaching in a Thai School?

bestathens

Hello everybody.

My family is Christian (Eastern Orthodox). We have a two years old daughter and soon she will need to go to school. My question is how will I be able to gain an exemption from participation to all the activities and teaching that are focused in Buddhism?

Has anyone a previous experience?

Thanks

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you just let her learn about buddhism like her peers and teach her your religion at home and in your church...will be good for her.

My luuk khrung kids go to a Christian school where they also learn all about Buddhism plus their mum takes them to the Wat occasionally.

Can't harm them you know to get a greater all round knowledge.

Agree

Let them learn all there is to learn, and when they are older give them the choice whether to go with any religion, or not to believe as the case may be. I believe it is wrong to force anyone to believe, let alone specify which faith they must belieive.

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha. That is why, when he returned home, his teachings bore a remarkable resemblance to Buddhist teachings and little or no connection to the Judaism he grew up with. Although there will be a lot of superstition taught in Thai classrooms just think of the connection between the Buddha and Jesus. It might make you more comfortable.

Learning is will not harm for sure...

But participating to the morning prayers and Buddhist celebration is something that I simply do not wish for my children to have...

If you can spare 600 - 900k per year for your child for a private international school you have solved your problem. If you send them to the government school I guess your child has to participate as every kid does.

Families with similar beliefs can often work out an arrangement with the school for the child to come after the Buddhist teaching time is done. Or teach their older children to sit respectful and pray or meditate or whatever.

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha. That is why, when he returned home, his teachings bore a remarkable resemblance to Buddhist teachings and little or no connection to the Judaism he grew up with. Although there will be a lot of superstition taught in Thai classrooms just think of the connection between the Buddha and Jesus. It might make you more comfortable.

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels and says that he was working as a carpenter all these years in Nazareth.

Thanks for your advises but my question was "how to do...?" not "If what I want to do is right or wrong?"

But participating to the morning prayers and Buddhist celebration is something that I simply do not wish for my children to have...

I taught at five different Thai schools and not ONCE did ANY student perform any religious ceremonies. The only thing they did was participate on Songkran, and it was quite benign - they just lined up and poured water over the teachers' hands.

I taught at five different Thai schools and not ONCE did ANY student perform any religious ceremonies. The only thing they did was participate on Songkran, and it was quite benign - they just lined up and poured water over the teachers' hands.

Question : a) Celebrating the birthdays of King and Queen have or not participation of monks? B) Camps where the kids stay one week at the temple are or not religious activities?

Happens to know because they take place in my school...

You can send her to an International school, there you will have a say in what follows and what not.

Thai schools, also private and bi-lingual have to follow the curriculum of the ministry of education and that includes some much more dubious and controversial subjects than Buddhism...

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels and says that he was working as a carpenter all these years in Nazareth.

Thanks for your advises but my question was "how to do...?" not "If what I want to do is right or wrong?"

Sounds like you are really extreme in your religious views. Let him learn about Buddhism, it will probably serve him better than just becoming a strict Christian.

In fact, many Thais go to christian schools, and some of these schools outright pressure the Buddhist kids to convert to Christianity. My wife went to a protestant girls school and she had to pray and go to church and pretend to believe, even though she is Buddhist. They also had evangelical preachers tell the students that there is "no salvation" for Buddhists. and this is in Thailand where 94% of the population is Buddhist.

I assure you that your child won't experience any similar type of pressure to convert to Buddhism in a Thai government school.

You are describing the other edge to make this edge more attractive.... wai.gif

Sounds like you are really extreme in your religious views. Let him learn about Buddhism, it will probably serve him better than just becoming a strict Christian.

In fact, many Thais go to christian schools, and some of these schools outright pressure the Buddhist kids to convert to Christianity. My wife went to a protestant girls school and she had to pray and go to church and pretend to believe, even though she is Buddhist. They also had evangelical preachers tell the students that there is "no salvation" for Buddhists. and this is in Thailand where 94% of the population is Buddhist.

I assure you that your child won't experience any similar type of pressure to convert to Buddhism in a Thai government school.

??? Atheists claim that Jesus studied buddhism in Kashmir???

When I read your opening post, I sympathized with you. Now I think your child is not worse off with buddhist nonsense then with your christian nonsense.

Raising your children as Christian or any of the monotheistic creation myths, such as Judaism or Islam is dangerous and reckless indeed. Deity-worship is backwards and offensive and will lead to your offspring growing up ignorant. And by the way, the life of Jesus - if he indeed even existed - is so poorly documented that no one really knows who he was or where he went during his lifettime. Deity worship passed on from parent to child should be a capitol offence. Feel sorry for your kid,

and at the same time he was visiting Glastonbury in the UK, what is your reason for saying that Jesus lived in Kashmir or is it just a folk tale like Glastonbury

If so many years were apparently undocumented, how then, may I ask, do you possess such knowledge?

You live now in a Buddhist country. Why not let your children - and yourself too - learn about this peaceful religion? I am a Christian too, but I was eager to know all about Buddhism and my

own children - now adults - are very happy that we opened the door to all peaceful religious people from any kind of denominations. The worst you can do for you and your children is to live in a religious ghetto. It is like living in a prison in the open minded society of Thailand.

Raising your children as Christian or any of the monotheistic creation myths, such as Judaism or Islam is dangerous and reckless indeed. Deity-worship is backwards and offensive and will lead to your offspring growing up ignorant. And by the way, the life of Jesus - if he indeed even existed - is so poorly documented that no one really knows who he was or where he went during his lifettime. Deity worship passed on from parent to child should be a capitol offence. Feel sorry for your kid,

Very true Stephen, but why did you not mention buying lucky numbers and nirvana as well?

You live now in a Buddhist country. Why not let your children - and yourself too - learn about this peaceful religion? I am a Christian too, but I was eager to know all about Buddhism and my

own children - now adults - are very happy that we opened the door to all peaceful religious people from any kind of denominations. The worst you can do for you and your children is to live in a religious ghetto. It is like living in a prison in the open minded society of Thailand.

This peaceful religion? Sri Lanka and Myanmar come to mind - and don't muslims call their superstition a "religion of peace" too?

I am repeating the question is "How to do...?" so if you are kind enough, keep your own opinions about relegion for you, I am asking for ways not for criticism. You can open another thread against Christians or Obama or smurfs...

Thanks

If so many years were apparently undocumented, how then, may I ask, do you possess such knowledge?

in fact it was Apostel Thomas who went to India

I am repeating the question is "How to do...?" so if you are kind enough, keep your own opinions about relegion for you, I am asking for ways not for criticism. You can open another thread against Christians or Obama or smurfs...

Thanks

Good luck with that on this forum. There are too many on here that will always offer their unsolicited "sage" advice.

In my school, which is a Thai government school, we have had several Christian students in the past few years, generally those who grew up for awhile in the states or Europe. During the Buddhist ceremonies these students will only be in attendance (as I am), they don't actually take part in the ceremony itself. The Thai teachers understand these students are not Buddhist and certainly do not try to make them perform any ceremony they don't want to take part in. However, they will take Buddhism classes and learn a little about Buddhism and its history.

This peaceful religion? Sri Lanka and Myanmar come to mind - and don't muslims call their superstition a "religion of peace" too?

Sri Lanka was fighting primarily between Hindu and Moslem Tamils...Buddhists never played a big part, and tended to keep to themselves.

As a matter of fact... many of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam were even atheistic Marxist-Leninists.

Much of the leadership of Myanmar are not practicing Buddhists..... they are more world centred power hungry politicians and military officers. As Buddhists... they are horrible examples.

Kind of like Global Warming Alarmist politicians and celebrities that tell us all how us ordinary middle class must cut back on our elaborate lifestyles, yet they fly around on private jets and party on their yachts and live in one of their several homes.

Hypocrites all........ .

Maybe he can go sit in the hallway or corner when this happens....or buy a pair of noise canceling headphones........

Oh ....and teach him how to fight as he will be picked on beyond belief.

Maybe he can go sit in the hallway or corner when this happens....or buy a pair of noise canceling headphones........

Oh ....and teach him how to fight as he will be picked on beyond belief.

Perhaps, but speaking from experience, my Christian students never get picked on. The other students may not understand their religion, but they certainly don't treat them any differently because of their religion.