Clay Tiles

Gandtee

There is a place on Sukhumvit road (northbound past Bangkok Pattaya Hospital) next door to the Honda dealer, opposite to McDonalds and Mini Siam.

They have floor tiles that appear to be terracotta - but I'm not sure if they have been "fired" or whether they would be suitable as baking stones.

Would a granite offcut work? There are quite a few places around town that cut granite for worktops. Obviously, you would need to make sure it was untreated and free from chemical sealants etc.

Edited by chickenslegs

I have been using granite tiles cut to my oven size for pizza and bread baking. Have been using these for over a year now, several times had water spilled on the hot granite but no problems. Bought them from roadside grantite shop (many such here in Phuket), looked for the most homogenous rock (technically a granodiorite), which was also cheapest (160 baht/tile). Width was almost perfect, the shop cut off the end for free and I got the extra for some nice hot plate holders.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a place on Sukhumvit road (northbound past Bangkok Pattaya Hospital) next door to the Honda dealer, opposite to McDonalds and Mini Siam.

They have floor tiles that appear to be terracotta - but I'm not sure if they have been "fired" or whether they would be suitable as baking stones.

Would a granite offcut work? There are quite a few places around town that cut granite for worktops. Obviously, you would need to make sure it was untreated and free from chemical sealants etc.

I took you advice Chickenlegs and bought a slab from the dealer you mentioned. All I need to do is check whether it will stand up to the heat. Thanks again.

I took you advice Chickenlegs and bought a slab from the dealer you mentioned. All I need to do is check whether it will stand up to the heat. Thanks again.

did it stand up the heat?? thanks for reply

did it stand up the heat?? thanks for reply

The tile stood up to the heat which was fine. My first try at soda bread left a bit to be desiredsad.png