'Trafficked' Laotian sex workers rescued in northeastern Thailand

webfact

'Trafficked' Laotian Sex Workers Rescued in Northeastern Thailand
By Khaosod English

14381491381438150338l.jpg
Officials and soldiers inspect evidence confiscated from two brothels in Nong Khai, 28 July 2015.

NONG KHAI — Authorities in northeastern Thailand raided two brothels near the Thai-Laotian border where several Laotian teenagers said they were forced to work as sex workers.

The two brothels are located in Tha Bo and Sri Chiang Mai districts, officials said. Six Laotian women were found at the first venue, and three at the second.

According to Nong Khai Governor Suchart Noppawan, the nine women are bewteen the ages of 15 and 17, and some of them said they were trafficked across the border and forced to work in the brothels.

The women have now been placed under the protection of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, the Governor told reporters.
"We sent spies to make inquiries at the brothel, and we learned that some of the Laotian women said they have been duped into working as prostitutes at the places," Suchart said in a press conference. Local authorities learned about the two brothels from anonymous tips filed to a local government complaint center.

The Thai owners of the brothels, Sompit Dongluang, 41, and Kosol Ouphard, 60, have been arrested and charged with human trafficking. The offence carries betweeen 4 and 15 years in prison.

Governor Suchart also said the Permanent Secretary of Tha Bo district, Maj. Raweechai Paritthipahol, has been transferred from his post and placed under investigation for not taking legal action against human traffickers in the area earlier.
Five senior police officers have also been transferred to inactive posts for neglecting to enforce anti-trafficking measures in their areas, the commander of Nong Khai Police force said today.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438149138

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-29

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder for how many years those two brothels have been frequented by some members of those very "authorities" when they were off duty and wanted to have a good time.

Luckily, the "authorities" were able to assign some "spies" who were not yet well-known faces (i.e. customers) there.

I presume inactive post means suspended from duty while being investigated. coffee1.gif

that's a bit of a presumption as tons are transferred to 'inactive posts' even when found guilty - so I 'presume' their pay is safe as well as their pensions they just do 'nothing'

what's this 'inactive posts' BS? anyway very best wishes for those girls locked into a life of misery

Chances are those girls are ruing being caught by the police. They were not slaves, and they were earning money.

Sad situation, yes. But "traficked"...I doubt it.

what's this 'inactive posts' BS? anyway very best wishes for those girls locked into a life of misery

Chances are those girls are ruing being caught by the police. They were not slaves, and they were earning money.

so it's "OK" for a 15 year old to "make money" this way in your book huh?

Normally this is not without approval from their parents in Laos.

TIL

I wonder how true the statements " was forced"

Anytime, i meet a bar girl, she cannot wait to get back in the bar.

Not saying being forced not possible, just seems many do not want to do anything else but work in brothels

Not saying being forced not possible, just seems many do not want to do anything else but work in brothels

It sounds better, if they were "forced". I do believe some were promised other jobs but ended up selling sex....for a very small fee...whereas the "managers" make out like bandits...all the way back down the line. Might be a bit of "empoyee rebellion" going on.

If I was 15, and got busted...I would naturally say I was kidnapped and forced into the job...rather than saying I ran to Thailand to sell my snatch.

But you are correct...(not that I do this anymore..but I used to hang around hooker bars in my younger days). Yes...all the bar hookers I talked to were entusiastic volunteers....and still ran back for more, while awaiting checks from their farang "johns". Some even got married, left the country, and then ran back...so they could get that hooker status...in lieu of housekeeper/nursemaid.

Edited by slipperylobster

Under-aged are always trafficked and those that run the brothels surely must have paid off a lot of people to allow child prostitution on their premises.

Sad, but this is a reaction to the US downgrading Thailand to Tier 3 on the human trafficking list of countries. This will demonstrate that the authorities are doing something about it. But only the authorities really know the true scale of it. Two brothels or is this just the beginning? Wait and see!

Wasn't there a story a while back where some investigative journalust paid the mamasan to 'release' a couple of girls, and the first thing they did was to go straight back to their place of employment?

I'm not saying it's good or right, but everyone has their own motives.

That said, there is a massive difference between a girl working in a bar and a girl working in a Thai brothel.

The end result/objective may be the same but the methods of achievement are completely different.

Certainly not OK from the patrons' point of view but many girls do make this choice. Travel around the North-East of Isaan and you'll find plenty of them. Sad but very true.

Edited by TEFLKrabi

under aged girls tricked or sold into sex slavery are not the same as Thai "bar girls" talking on their iphones to their Thai boyfriends.

these are young Laotian girls in back rooms being ass raped. they get nothing. they are prisoners.

I wonder for how many years those two brothels have been frequented by some members of those very "authorities" when they were off duty and wanted to have a good time.

Luckily, the "authorities" were able to assign some "spies" who were not yet well-known faces (i.e. customers) there.

I don't know if the same place in Ta Baw, but i have been, just for a drink as my friend lives very near. The police road blocks are often placed outside on the main road, sure everybody knows. But the girls i saw were for sure not young, in fact quiet old.

I like your post because the majority of self consumed and full of shit guys love to claim " I don't pay the girl to be with me, I pay her to leave in the morning". What a total crock!!

I hope well for any lady in SEA whether in the sex trade business or not.

The Lao-Thai border in that region is very porous and I cannot understand why the girls at any time did not simply refuse to work and ask the nearest fisherman to take her across the river.

Locals criss cross the river all the time to work or go shopping

under aged girls tricked or sold into sex slavery are not the same as Thai "bar girls" talking on their iphones to their Thai boyfriends.

these are young Laotian girls in back rooms being ass raped. they get nothing. they are prisoners.

And you know this? How?

Aged 15-17. Sounds like trafficking to me. Probably sold by their parents though.

Under-aged are always trafficked and those that run the brothels surely must have paid off a lot of people to allow child prostitution on their premises.

A quick google search shows the age of consent in Laos is 15. Seems the girls may not have been underage as far as they were concerned.

They may well be much cleverer than people give them credit for. Especially to oversensitive westerners.

Caught in a brothel, most likely illegally in country...easiest way to try and get off any charges would be the to claim having been trafficked.

Go to any jail and ask the any of the inmates if they are guilty. None...all are innocent but have been wrongfully imprisoned.

No. Don't jump to conclusions.

Mind you, to be fair, I did forget that aspect...so fair call.