problem with windows, 10 how to get a clean download

steveb6

Downloaded and installed Windows 10 from Windows 7. During the installation it said it had a problem and needs to restart and after installation this happened quite a few times. Went back to Windows 7 but would like to try it again. I may have downloaded a corrupt copy. When I go back to try, it is already downloaded and only gives the option to install. How to downloaded it again?

The link posted is for a microsoft Media Creation Tool. It both downloads the Win10 installation program and can format end-user media (USB, DVD or .ISO).

Windows 7, 8, 8.1 retail product license keys are all good for Windows 10 installs, upgrade or new/fresh. If OEM then it should pull the data automatically from qualifying PCs BIOS/UEFI firmware

This was posted before in the other ThaiVisa Win10 topics:

Download Windows 10

microsoft.com

Select either the 32-bit or 64-bit Download Tool

This was the only way I was able to upgrade to Win10. I was never offered a Win10 icon to upgrade on task bar of Win7. After running 64bit ver I tried upgrade PC option #1 and whilst it seemed to create some 3GB folders in C drive they seemed to stop expanding and nothing ever happened. The app gave no idea what was wrong and if I rerun it gave message "Something Happened" whilst deleting the GB folders of data it previously created. I gave up and tried the ISO disk second method, and didn't use a CD or USB drive to boot off but ran the set up file from my D drive. It installed effortlessly over my Win7 on C drive with everything running (all app/data as before etc), within 50 minutes - so I was pleased as I have over 100 apps according to settings!

Saw a report on Windows 10 on BBC (click) program, the reporter,

although slightly enthusiastic said she tested the program but will

stick to Windows 7 and advised people to wait until all the bugs are

fixed.

fixed.

But I thought Windows 8 was the Windows 10 debugger utility?

fixed.

I keep seeing these posts saying, "wait until all the bugs are fixed." Could you list a few of these bugs....maybe some major ones in the list?

My upgrade to Win 10 went easy and fast...took 24 minutes...after the upgrade I only had one issue with Outlook not being able to "send" email...could receive fine...but I got that issue fixed within 24 hours of upgrading to Win 10...plus this Outlook send issue I had is not unique to Win 10 but happens on earlier operating systems also...it's just a Outlook bug that appears sometimes for some people regardless of operating system.

Knock on wood (my head), and not counting above mentioned Outlook issue against Win 10, but I haven't experienced any Win 10 bug yet....going into my 3rd day of Win 10 use. But I did prepare for the Win 10 upgrade by ensuring my Lenovo laptop had the latest drivers loaded...I was running Win 8.1...and Lenovo did release a bunch of updated drivers in early, mid July which I installed before doing the Win 10 upgrade.

And no I'm not saying many folks won't have issues....just like when people try to go from XP to Win 7 or Win 7 to Win 8.1 they experience issues/bugs....you are going to experience issues in any operating system upgrade with your "particular hardware and software" being a prime cause of success or failure.

After every new Windows OS release many reporters say wait a while for the bugs to be fixed...but all they did was to change a few words from an old article talking about the last upgrade release....need to pay bills by getting their article published...gotta write about something.

Yes, that's basically what i did as the Win7 operating system I had previously was giving no indication of offering or doing an upgrade. Therefore an install of the full ISO file was done manually by me using the Win7 o/s to execute the setup from the Win10 ISO files and it installed new o/s keeping all existing apps and data.

anybody knows why they are giving it for FREE?

is it that worthless ?

or is it full with tools to spy on you, NSA sponsored ?

Yea, I think you covered all the reasons except maybe one or two like maybe to cover-up something related to the President Kennedy assassination and whatever happened to Jimmy Hoffa.

No problems with my windows 10 install...It DOES say that it will stop and re-start several times...This is normal....I think the OP should continue with his install and not worry about problems yet.

No problems with my windows 10 install...It DOES say that it will stop and re-start several times...This is normal....I think the OP should continue with his install and not worry about problems yet.

Now that you have Windows 10 fully installed, do you know whether system restarts will still be required for future software updates (i.e. those not related to the OS)?

One of my pet peeves with Windows is the constant need to restart the system for even trivial updates (e.g. iTunes).

I've read that Windows 10 now (finally!!!) offers virtual desktops. I wonder what the flock was going on at M$ that took them so long to offer this feature.

Used for two days. Only problem with initial download was Microsoft loaded and incorrect video driver for my Toshiba. Once that was corrected all is operating fine and no bugs have appeared. Windows 10 gives you many more capabilities and advances over Windows 7 or 8.1. I would not hesitate to download and install. If you do encounter an incorrect driver for your system the fixes are already out there; it's called Google.

is it that worthless ?

Ms is NSA !

If they cant read your Firmware from your PC - they dont give you an update !

It means,

they open for them any access to your computer,

propably so much spion sw will be installed,

that if you type "A" on your keyboard,

they know already which type of keyboard and language you use !

This is US today !

Russia is a milkman against them !!

First you need to check for compatibility. I believed Windows 10 will not install on all computers. I know that when I first received the notification, Microsoft checked for compatibility for the download. When their program finished, it listed all the specs of my laptop, including ram and disk free space. If your computer has insufficient memory ( ram or hard drive space), or a video card, that will not support the upgrade, it will not download. Windows 10 was installed on this laptop yesterday, which was Windows 7. So far I have not had any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

is it that worthless ?

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out | BGR

Go to Settings, Privacy and turn off or on what you desire. Plus follow the other instructions in the link you gave above. During the upgrade/install a person was given the option/choice what to allow and not allow (two screens worth of stuff), but I expect most people blew through that in the rush to install Win 10.

Edited by Pib