Workshop to improve the quality of foreign teachers in Thailand

webfact

Over a hundred foreign teachers gather at a workshop to improve their teaching skills

PNSOC580730001005202_31072015_101734.jpg

NONG KHAI, 31 July 2015 (NNT) - A workshop to improve the quality of foreign teachers in Thailand is held in the northeastern province of Nong Khai on Thursday, as part of the project to develop the country as ‘education hub’ in the region.

115 foreign teachers have enrolled in the three-day workshop which will end on August 1st. They are teaching science, maths and English language in fourteen schools nationwide.

The workshop was opened by Deputy Governor of Nong Khai Anothai Thammakun and is conducted at Pathumthep Witthayakhan School. The program has been assisted by several guest speakers from Thammasat University and the Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST).

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-31 footer_n.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 days is a bit long to teach Thainess to farang teachers. 3 minutes more like. If the kid doesn't understand, shout louder. If the kid still doesn't understand, get the parents to pay for after class tuition.

I always thought that the best way to improve the quality of teachers was to make sure the teachers could speak a foreign language. Certainly for the ESL teachers in most cases it would create a bit of understanding what the kids are going through as opposed to having a degree in anything to be able to obtain a WP.

Would be interesting to know how many teachers who teach English in Thailand actually know what it is like to learn a new language.

I would love to know how they got to hear about this course in the first place.

Yes, as a teacher it is also so much more useful to speak the native lingo despite what companies offering TEFL courses tell prospective students who want to teach in a foreign country, maybe especially true in Thailand where the learning ability, intentions and skills are so low.

However there is also a lot to be said for the kids who do show determination to learn and do so enthusiastically. One may say only the rich kids whose parents send them to extra classes can achieve this, but my missus has learnt, and she ain't from a wealthy or bar girl background either.

Basically , I guess you cannot lead a horse to water and make it drink, I guess.

Edited by daiwill60

I would think that the first workshop would be for teachers who are responsible for the education and its improvement or in Thailands case, lack thereof, of the majority of students who attend school.

But its nice that some Thai has decreed that the quality of foreign teachers can /will be improved in a 3 day workshop, which i suspose will be presented by local experts who are familiar with the quality of the foreign teachers involved

Good grief.

Blame it on the foreigners. Easy to make those suckers go to a pointless, hot air blowing meeting on a Saturday morning, they'll do anything to stay in Amazing Puddingbrainland.

Meanwhile, Amazing Puddingbrainland can continue the charade with not a scrap of conscience or integrity in their puddingbrains.

Thailand, you don't deserve any more help with your English.

Thailand- Hub of Hubs. Showing us all how its done.

Perhaps its the reporting, but surely the aim of the course should be to improve the teaching skills of ESL/Mathis/Science teachers in Thailand. Not as stated - the quality of the teachers (3 days is not enough for that)

That said, putting them all in one workshop is not likely to benefit individual disciplines.

It seems common for various education agencies to pay lip service to these ill thought out initiatives, I should know I have taught a few of them myself to the Min Of Ed.

It would be great for any participants to feedback what they thought of the course in this forum..

But I question the veracity of this workshop. Who is teaching what? Why are they qualified to do so. There are good organisations in Thailand with the right skills to benefit this group. Although I doubt they are to be found in the Min of Ed or operating as some kind of education grandee in the wilds of Nong Khai.

Edited by Charlie Croker

As a foreign teacher myself I think that staff development is essential and its value unquestioned.

But having taught in the west already for several years I would want to be assured that those guest speakers really have what it takes to deliver efficient guidance.

Haven't seen many here who are even close to being qualified and skilled enough to do it. I hope however those who went did come away having learned something

If they really wanted to improve the quality of teachers be they foreigners or Thai they should be disciplining the directors for failing to give support to their teachers. When a student can come and complain that you made them try to read in front of the class or you give too much work the schools reply is to discipline or terminate the teacher. Kids have too much control over a teachers authority simply because the directors want their families money more than they want that teacher. A 3 day workshop will not help and it is most assured that the schools did not pay the travel and hotel and course cost. This is just a waste of money again by the MOE. Let them keep thinking they will be the education hub until next years tests scores show they are wasting foreigners money and time with this crap

I can't really tell from the article whether this was worthwhile training. This training session was in Nong Khai, so it would be mostly teachers from more rural schools that attended. Hence, if it was something like TKT (Teachers' Knowledge Test) training, it would be useful. The TKT focuses on teaching methodologies for learners of the English language. Thai teachers need to undergo that as well, and their advancement as foreign language teachers depends on achieving minimum scores on the TKT exam. However, if this training was the usual cultural awareness nonsense, than it was useless.

How about a workshop where people from the MOE listen to suggestions from us ESL teachers and international education experts about how to improve the SYSTEM over all? Many good teachers are always at odds with this outdated, regimented and hierarchical system that benefits some fat cat directors but NOT the students.

ASEAN is forming and English will be the spoken language used. Thailand is far, FAR behind many of their neighbors because of their archaic education system. If the system is improved then the quality of overall teaching (not just foreign teachers) will improve.

Edited by lildragon

From Ajarn.com. One of the 5 facets of the course:

"Thai manners, perhaps the most important if taught correctly, involves standing postures for formal and informal occasions, walking, sitting and how to rise from a seated position, how to Wai to individuals of different social strata, and encountering, receiving from and handing articles to higher-ranking individuals."

From Ajarn.com. One of the 5 facets of the course:

"Thai manners, perhaps the most important if taught correctly, involves standing postures for formal and informal occasions, walking, sitting and how to rise from a seated position, how to Wai to individuals of different social strata, and encountering, receiving from and handing articles to higher-ranking individuals."

Thai manners .... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How many foreign teachers here in Thailand are actually "teachers" with education as teachers from a Western country? I mean it takes usually more than liking the view and surroundings at Formula 1 races before man are certified as an good experienced machine engineer.

Students should be taught to ask questions. Problem is it has to start at a very young age and it is not happening. When you have curious children, they learn easily. However curioisity among children is often frowned upon. So what we have here is an intractable problem.

Best way to improve the quality of foreign teachers in Thailand is to run a police background check on them in their home countries.

I'd say its make sure they are a qualified teacher with years of experience who are rewarded financially with wages commensurate to their skill level myself.

Edited by Bluespunk

I wonder if the lecturers had to dance and jump like monkeys, like we are required to do to make the lessons "sanook"?thumbsup.gif

Seminars like this one are good for new arrivals, unfamiliar with local customs and victims of horrible cultural writings as found on the Lonely Planet "books.

Otherwise, waste of time.

I agree with @Inurhead

ESL teachers should be able to fluently speak a second language.

Only those that understand what it is like to

learn a second language can successfully teach it.

I'm sorry, but that's <deleted>.

I always thought that the best way to improve the quality of teachers was to make sure the teachers could speak a foreign language. Certainly for the ESL teachers in most cases it would create a bit of understanding what the kids are going through as opposed to having a degree in anything to be able to obtain a WP.

Would be interesting to know how many teachers who teach English in Thailand actually know what it is like to learn a new language.

You are partially language or mainstreamorrect in my opinion. Learning a second language or foreign language, requires different skills and strategies than is required for teaching in the first language. Knowing how to speak a foreign language is not essential to being a quality teacher but I understand were you are coming from.

As for the 3 day course. It has nothing to do with teaching foreign teachers about teaching methodologies, learning styles or teaching practice. The Thai education system needs to look closely at how it teaches, its own teachers. Bombarding them through a microphone and repetitive learning, is hardly progressive. This is just another usless PR stunt. I wonder how much each teacher had to pay to get on this 'wonderful course? If it is anything like the Thai culture course, them I have sympathy for those who have to sit through that tedious and painstaking proopaganda.

Ceratinly in International Schools a CRB check is mandatory and I believe should be for TEFL and any other type of teacher..

Thai Instructor to foreign teachers:

"Some of you believe that, like in your own countries, it is permissible to fail a student. I am here to tell you that is blatantly wrong!

"Failing a student would cause severe loss of face. Not only to the student, but to their parents as well. This could lead to serious depression, suicide, and a raging temper which could result in mass murder. Therefore, for the sake of our country's health, and all important image, you are never allowed to fail a student. Ok,seminar over."