small forearm problem, how to speed up recovery

h90

3-4 weeks ago I did some shoulder exercises with too heavy weights and got a minor muscle in the forearm "damaged"

Only very specific movements hurt and some specific points when I press down. Frequently I move something and it hurts again.

It is getting better but slowly.....slowly also because sometimes I hurt it again.

Any ideas how to speed up recovery? Does massaging that area help or does it make it worse?

I am not sure if it is the muscle, or the connection to the bone or a tendon. But when I press down where I think the muscle connects to the bone it hurts most.

Usually if it is just the muscle it should be good in 3-4 days.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that...

Recovery depends on your age and ability to recover.
If there is a tear in there somewhere, have a doctor check on it and have it stitched up.
Allowing it to heal on its own would take a long time (months to even a year)
and it might not go back to its full capacity.

If it is just minor, fish oil can help you recover faster.

Just make sure you don't stress that muscle too much until its back to 100%

Source: Experience

Ripped a part of my right bicep
Didn't go to a doctor
Took me a year before I could even do painless curls

Edited by sensei

Sorry to hear that...

Recovery depends on your age and ability to recover.

If there is a tear in there somewhere, have a doctor check on it and have it stitched up.

Allowing it to heal on its own would take a long time (months to even a year)

and it might not go back to its full capacity.

If it is just minor, fish oil can help you recover faster.

Just make sure you don't stress that muscle too much until its back to 100%

Source: Experience

Ripped a part of my right bicep

Didn't go to a doctor

Took me a year before I could even do painless curls

No won't go to a doc....the same as with the last 100 problems. Fish oil....will use it.

Yes with this speed of recovery, it needs at least another 4 weeks (I guess it isn't linear so +/- 2 weeks)

Age 44, as I just started 1.5 years ago to train (and gained lots of muscles) I am sometimes a bit too strong than other parts of the body can handle (different than someone who trained the last 20 years)

Don't massage. Just keep resting it (i.e. avoiding whatever movements cause the pain, otherwise can use the arm as normal -- but no heavy woirkouts).

If there is a tear in the tendon, it will take time to heal. Basic measures such as enough sleep and a healthy diet will help, but basically it is tincture of time.

Do gentle range of motion exercises to keep it from freezing up due to internal scar tissue. If painful, do gently without any weights or resistance. If there is persistent inflammation (pain without any movement or pressing) acupuncture can help to speed up recovery. Once pain is gone, the right kind of massage can break down internal scarring and adhesions so that there are no restrictions in the future. Unfortunately, this kind of massage is not very available in Thailand.

Sounds like a ripped or strained tendon.

Total rest for 6-8 weeks.

Do not massage or lift anything heavy which could cause further damage and delay healing.

A heat lamp 15 minutes, twice a day can increase the healing process, but it's really down to your own body to heal naturally.

Edited by Faz

Massage might work, but only with an experienced masseuse. That means avoid the 25 year olds. Look for a plus 50 year old. It is unlikely a good masseuse will do more damage than is already there.

Physiotherapy is OK, although in my experience they want the patient to do most of the work.

Alternatively, you could try acupuncture. I was extremely skeptical of this technique, until it cured my golfer's elbow. There is a scientific basis for acupuncture, although it was derided by Western medicine for a long time. Usually 2 - 3 sessions are enough.

Sounds like lateral epycondylitis, or tennis elbow. As said above, rest and time. However, it's nearly impossible to completely resit it, especially if it's your dominant arm.

I just went through this, and it recovered about 75% over three months, and then just plateaued, with sort of a nagging pain that would come and go.

A visit to the orthopedist and a quick local injection of steroid (cortisone) into the affected area, and it completely resolved in about four days.

I had a similar problem with my wrist, and a doc at Bumrungrad did the same thing (about 11 years ago), same result.

Give it time first, but if it lingers, there are options.

Good luck, and a quick recovery.

Concentrate extremely hot water on it in the shower for as long as you can take it and as hot as you can take it.

I have solved many muscle and back problems this way. The concept came to me from a doctor. It works.

I developed something similar, along with tennis elbow, both caused by over exertion. I bought a support strap containing a pressure pad that sits on my forearm and applies pressure to the tendon when it becomes stressed, very effective.

Massage might work, but only with an experienced masseuse. That means avoid the 25 year olds. Look for a plus 50 year old. It is unlikely a good masseuse will do more damage than is already there.

Physiotherapy is OK, although in my experience they want the patient to do most of the work.

Alternatively, you could try acupuncture. I was extremely skeptical of this technique, until it cured my golfer's elbow. There is a scientific basis for acupuncture, although it was derided by Western medicine for a long time. Usually 2 - 3 sessions are enough.

would be 2 25 year olds OK?

(I can almost see Sheryl yawning at all these male jokes)

Don't massage. Just keep resting it (i.e. avoiding whatever movements cause the pain, otherwise can use the arm as normal -- but no heavy woirkouts).

If there is a tear in the tendon, it will take time to heal. Basic measures such as enough sleep and a healthy diet will help, but basically it is tincture of time.

I can't really tell, yesterday I would say it is where the muscle is connected to the bone, today it feels more like it is in the middle of the muscle. I thought of slightly moving it to get some blood flow there. I guess it would be right if it is the muscle, but wrong if it is the tendon.

I'll avoid moving it too much, don't need it get chronic......

If in Bangkok - go to Wat Poh - here is a massage therapist monk who teaches the massage courses, he speaks english and can work wonders - he helped me get past a serious tendonitis problem that the Doc's in B-Grad thought would take a year to heal correctly. I went for seven days straight and followed his directions, was fine after a few weeks.thumbsup.gif

I am intrigued. Is it a small forearm, problem or a small, forearm problem? blink.png The post title does not make this clear.

Now, before anyone berates my lateral thinking, I am short and compared to a tall person I would have a short forearm? gigglem.gif

It is more likely to be Golfers Elbow from what you say.

I used a compression splint when I had this a few years ago, but it must not be too tight.

A Cortisone injection will help speed up recovery.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/golfers-elbow-basicsattachicon.gifge.jpg

That seems very possible! When I grap something there is nothing but when I try to lift up the laptop holding it on the open display, the small torque on the forearm hurts.

No Cortisone is out of question.....I see it as minor problem and don't want to push a needle into it, risking any other problem. I guess waiting is the solution.