One in four fishing boats still unregistered as deadline passes

Lite Beer

The Nation

30265653-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The registration deadline for fishing vessels is approaching at midnight Fridday, with one in four boats still unregistered and barred from going out to sea.

The Fisheries Department said that 12,270 of 57,141 fishing boats had yet to register as of press time. Also, 880 fishing vessels have been found to not have the equipment required, and hence are barred from taking to the seas.

Sompote Kribkratok, inspector general of the Fisheries Department, said if any unregistered boats are found fishing, the operators will face a fine of up to Bt300,000 and/or three years in jail.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/One-in-four-fishing-boats-still-unregistered-as-de-30265634.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-31

Are they actually "barred from taking to the seas" or simply barred from fishing?

If it's the former, I doubt that they'll be watched closely enough to keep them docked. If it is the latter, I suspect they will go out, fish, transfer their catch to a registered boat, then come back claiming it was just a pleasure cruise and that no fishing took place. I don't expect things to change while there's money to be made.

One in 4 fishing boats unregistered
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION

30265653-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The registration deadline for fishing vessels passed at midnight yesterday, with one in four boats still unregistered and will barred from going out to sea.

The Fisheries Department said that 12,270 of 57,141 fishing boats had yet to register as of press time. Also, 880 fishing vessels have been found to not have the equipment required, and hence are barred from taking to the seas.

Sompote Kribkratok, inspector-general of the Fisheries Department, said if any unregistered boats are found fishing, the operators will face a fine of up to Bt300,000 and/or three years in jail.

"Vessels will not be allowed to register after the deadline, and the date for the next round of registration will only be set after the Command Centre for Combating Illegal Fishing [CCCIF] completes its discussion on marine sustainable yield, which is the index for Thai seafood resource," he said.

As for compensating those suffering from the government's policies on fishing, he said that the CCCIF was looking into the issue.

"The public hearing on the fisheries business was completed last Sunday, and comments gathered at the forum have been passed on to the CCCIF at a meeting on Wednesday. From now on, the CCCIF board will seek ways of helping fishermen based on how well they follow the regulations," he said.

Yesterday, Fisheries Department director-general Jumpol Sanguansin said that the department was planning to hold a public forum to seek solutions for illegal fishing as well, and opinions gathered will also be handed in for the CCCIF's consideration.

This is part of an effort to come to a compromise with fishermen who use any of the four banned fishing equipment that severely destroy marine life.

These actions are being taken to tackle illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing practices after the European Union gave Thailand a "yellow card" in April and demanded that the Kingdom make an effort to solve the chronic problems in the fisheries sector by October.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/One-in-4-fishing-boats-unregistered-30265653.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-01

...add to this yet another report of a slave boat registered to Thai owners ( this one impounded in PNG, a refrigerated factory ship...according to today's The Nation).

What to the authorities intend to do when the big boys get caught red-handed involved in slave labour? Will they finally act to punish those engaged in the trade or are they too 'connected'. Rhetorical questions.

If these were sim cards then they would not be able to operate by now..., right? coffee1.gif
True true, but ais things stand I am sure the dtac is you can't register a fishing boat at 7/11:) Edited by JAG

57,141 fishing boats

How would they know it`s exactly 57,141? Have they registered all these boats already?

And btw... 57,141? I think they forgot a couple of digits there... It`s more like 1,057,141, and 4,057,141 if you include all the small boats and kayaks used for fishing.

...add to this yet another report of a slave boat registered to Thai owners ( this one impounded in PNG, a refrigerated factory ship...according to today's The Nation).

What to the authorities intend to do when the big boys get caught red-handed involved in slave labour? Will they finally act to punish those engaged in the trade or are they too 'connected'. Rhetorical questions.

No, but the owner's of the slave boat may charge the reporter with libel and definition defamation of character.

57,141 fishing boats

How would they know it`s exactly 57,141? Have they registered all these boats already?

And btw... 57,141? I think they forgot a couple of digits there... It`s more like 1,057,141, and 4,057,141 if you include all the small boats and kayaks used for fishing.

I'm not sure exactly BUT I think that's just boats over 10 tons!

Smaller boats aren't registered.

Pretend it does not happen.sad.png

It seems like it's not on the Nation online, any links or a picture?

I hope EU will proceed and ban imported fish from Thailand. Probably the only way to show the soldier a lesson

Do you honestly believe that the General had ordered all the fishing boats out to fish?

He will not starve now will his family, nor will yours for that matter.

Many thousands of Thai people will but you don't care about them, just about trying to score political points on a forum that the Thai people have probably never heard of and wouldn't care about anyway.

57,141 fishing boats

Wow. That is about 1 fishing boat for every man, woman and child in Thailand.

Are you sure you have your figures right?

57,000 fishing boats! Wow...

No wonder it's hard to catch anything over 10 cm when we go fishing in the Gulf.

What i hear the only good sea fishing is birma banks.. but its a long trip and cost around 20k. Then you have some chance to catch nice fish. That is why I in general fish in stocked lakes. More about the day out then catching fish. Still its nice to catch and have fun with friends.

Sorry, I got the papers wrong: it's the BP page 4 of the print edition ( Investigation prompts new round of slave rescues). The boat in question is the Blissful Reefer ( some ambiguity in that name on a couple of counts). Describes the ship as "massive" , "Thai -owned refrigerated cargo ship"

Sorry, I got the papers wrong: it's the BP page 4 of the print edition ( Investigation prompts new round of slave rescues). The boat in question is the Blissful Reefer ( some ambiguity in that name on a couple of counts). Describes the ship as "massive" , "Thai -owned refrigerated cargo ship"
It's a Honduras flagged ship, is it Thai owned?

Yes,no but certainly operated by a Thai company according to a report PDF here: https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.itfseafarers.org/files/seealsodocs/1359/iiulowres.pdf&ved=0CDIQFjAIahUKEwi--b2azYfHAhURjo4KHbqdCvo&usg=AFQjCNHsKrrHBNOuZwaYBNzLxmZv66bSAw&sig2=_k4oMzZXucSanDYY-EOODA

Edited by casualbiker

I hope EU will proceed and ban imported fish from Thailand. Probably the only way to show the soldier a lesson

Do you honestly believe that the General had ordered all the fishing boats out to fish?

He will not starve now will his family, nor will yours for that matter.

Many thousands of Thai people will but you don't care about them, just about trying to score political points on a forum that the Thai people have probably never heard of and wouldn't care about anyway.

No, that's not the point. It's about illegal fishery, means using not adaequat nets, fishing too much so it's not sustainable. It's just the opposite you wrote. I'm very much concerned about Thai's future, especially in the fishing industry. If you overfishing now, who will feed you in future. And this is the soldier should think about. Your kind of view is jusr too short. Sorry