SURVEY: Will Thailand be successful in becoming the regional education hub?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Thailand be successful in become a regional education hub?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. Is Thailand well positioned to be a regional education hub?

• Yes, it is.
    • No, it isn't.

This poll is closed to new votes

Thailand has one of the worst education systems imaginable, with University Degrees not worth the paper they are printed out outside of Thailand, where independent and rational thinking is put down at every opportunity, and they want to be an education hub?

Next joke, please.

Edited by Just1Voice

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon guys....put your vote in. Vote NO, and then make a reasoned post.

Why? Because it's a very important issue for everyone, including farang, that Thailand's education system is given a huge shake-up, and the powers-that-be DO take notice of the big issues on TVF. They DO hear when we have strong feelings on various topics and they do, sometimes, react favourably...after all, it was "their own idea"...they were not told by any farang.wink.png

As a retired educator, I am sorry to report that, based on my past four years of observation, Thailand is not prepared to offer itself as a hub of English language. Should the Mistry of Education be interested, I would be willing to advise for a short term contract and their clearing the necessary red tape.

There are many, low cost things that Thailand could do immediately to enhance Thai students' use of English. But I also think, on the basis of observation, that there would be resistance to the changes necessary. OK, Thais certainly have the right to determine their national direction but that direction will not get the desired results regarding English language knowledge.

we are a lot here negative.......surprisingly i had a young thai customer this week in my resort...a 19 years old student, a hell of inteligence, talking in a perfect and fluent english and knowing about geography, history, science etc etc ....i mean an amazing fellow with modern ideas ...!

i told him....your father can be very proud of his son and honestly thailand need people like you, because here the nivel is so low...!

it took me 10 years to find such an interesting person....so much age diference... but otherwise absolutly nothing...i wish thailand could take care and keep that kind of people here for the benefit of their own country....there are so few!!

coffee1.gif

First, they must hire 3 million well qualified teachers.

Second, they must teach independent and objective thinking.

Third, they must learn to speak English, the official language of the AEC, so that it can be taught.

Edited by maderaroja

According to the announcement..."The Ministry of Education is establishing a center to develop Thailand as the education hub of ASEAN. The center will coordinate ASEAN-related affairs and implement the association’s policies at the local level."

If ASEAN sets the agenda and Thailand follows, then yes...they can do it. Historically, the Blueprints for the ASEAN Political Security Community, ASEAN Economic Community, and ASEAN Social Cultural Community have been followed and implemented by Thailand. If they apply the same level of commitment to this as they have the Blueprints, then I think they can do it.

No chance it can compete with Singapore, India, Malaysia, even Indonesia, yes Indonesia.

All of these countries attract a lot of overseas students. Each has its own selling points and market niche. Thailand has no selling points, at least none related to education, and no market niche.

As a thai teacher told my wife when she went up to complain " i have more important things than you" then he went to lunch, it shows how a little power corrupts and that was thai to thai so how are the kids treated, i feel more teacher training let alone english half the kids in my village cant read or write thai.

Thais must all live in La La land, not Thailand. How can you possibly hope to become regional education hub when their own education system is total crap and a bung to the school will ensure a top grade.

The Quickest and best way to get a lot of English speaking teachers is to hire bar girls, their living depends on it, so they learn it. You could find a 100 no problem in Pattaya, only problem maybe the wages.