SURVEY: Will Thailand be successful in becoming the regional education hub?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Thailand be successful in become a regional education hub?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. Is Thailand well positioned to be a regional education hub?

• Yes, it is.
    • No, it isn't.

This poll is closed to new votes

I spent a few years on the School Boards of both my sons' primary and secondary schools in the UK. Even back then I advocated strongly that foreign languages should be tought by their respective native speakers.

Here it is clearly even more important and critical to the learning and effective use of English as, particularly, the principal language of commerce in ASEAN.

The standard of English in Thailand, on the rare occasions that it is actually used, is absolutely atrocious compared to Singapore and even Malaysia.

Errors in grammar and pronunciation in particular are compounded by Thai English teachers who can barely speak the language they are supposed to be teaching. Many of us here have similar stories of trying to engage Thai teachers of English in conversations that invariably grind to a halt after just a few words of greeting.

Whenever I receive a phonecall, or even have to speak face-to-face, with 'English' speaking Thais I invariably have to hand the conversation over to my Thai wife. The few exceptions shine in their rarity.

And this is only one aspect of the lamentable education here, although a very important aspect.

So, a very emphatic NO!

But both Singapore and Malaysia were both British colonies and English was taught in schools from an early age. Thailand of course was never "colonised" and is proud of that, fair enough, but the standard of English taught ranges from not very good to atrocious.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a retired educator, I am sorry to report that, based on my past four years of observation, Thailand is not prepared to offer itself as a hub of English language. Should the Mistry of Education be interested, I would be willing to advise for a short term contract and their clearing the necessary red tape.

There are many, low cost things that Thailand could do immediately to enhance Thai students' use of English. But I also think, on the basis of observation, that there would be resistance to the changes necessary. OK, Thais certainly have the right to determine their national direction but that direction will not get the desired results regarding English language knowledge.

Retired educator?? Your field of expertise hasn't been writing I reckon...and what has education to do with English proficiency...or do you mean whoever isn't proficient in English is uneducated???

The infrastructure is there but that's it. The intangibles are not though i.e. foreigner friendly policies. If you want to be a hub of anything you need to have something to attract the talent, and I'm not speaking specifically about teachers of European descent. I've met brilliant African Maths teachers that can't get a job because the color of their skin. Indians, Pakistanis and yes of course Caucasians too. But with Vietnam offering higher salaries and similar way of life whats Thailand got to promote it as the "hub"? Certainly not the money. There is also a glass ceiling for teachers. Have you ever heard of a foreign director of a Thai school? Not unless it's private. So no room for advancement, no salary, no pension, and no development for foreign staff, it will just be more of the same.

It wont happen in my life time.

The Thai attitude and arrogance is the killer.

My step daughter 13 YO. I have been at her to learn English as she wants to be a Doctor.

Her reply is always the same "I am Thai I live in Thailand I don't need English"

What chance do they have with that attitude?

Can anybody who voted "yes" please explain?

I've always wanted to be in a minority. The results show I am in the 1.29% who voted yes.

I believe Thailand is already successful in it's education policies. If we look at the Dusit polls the vast majority of the population are happy with the present government. That is education. In many countries with less enlightened governments the people are clearly unhappy and protest about it, particularly students. In Thailand should that happen then students are given opportunities to be re-educated, government officials are pro-active in this, soldiers will visit you and your family to help you along the correct path.

Obviously, looking at the results of the poll it would seem that some foreigners are not truly appreciative of the massive steps that Thailand has taken in it's education system. Whilst I would argue for an exemption for tourists, I seriously believe that anyone intending to live in Thailand should undergo at least 7 years of Thai classes, this will enable them to be at least as fluent in Thai as the average Thai student is fluent in English.

As a regional hub I strongly support the notion. I recently spent time both in Singapore & Vietnam watching students having to work out mathematical sums without the aid of calculators. It's time to bring in these backward nations that are slowing the growth of Asean.

I've always wanted to be in a minority. The results show I am in the 1.29% who voted yes.

I believe Thailand is already successful in it's education policies. If we look at the Dusit polls the vast majority of the population are happy with the present government. That is education. In many countries with less enlightened governments the people are clearly unhappy and protest about it, particularly students. In Thailand should that happen then students are given opportunities to be re-educated, government officials are pro-active in this, soldiers will visit you and your family to help you along the correct path.

Obviously, looking at the results of the poll it would seem that some foreigners are not truly appreciative of the massive steps that Thailand has taken in it's education system. Whilst I would argue for an exemption for tourists, I seriously believe that anyone intending to live in Thailand should undergo at least 7 years of Thai classes, this will enable them to be at least as fluent in Thai as the average Thai student is fluent in English.

As a regional hub I strongly support the notion. I recently spent time both in Singapore & Vietnam watching students having to work out mathematical sums without the aid of calculators. It's time to bring in these backward nations that are slowing the growth of Asean.

Like I said, trolls. DON'T FEED THEM!

ermm.gif I'm highly disappointed. Your well-meaning humour through sarcasm will go right over the heads of the snoopers, and instead will be grabbed as evidence that the idea is approved of by the farang.

(Sorry to any snooper who actually got it...my generalisation is valid for the most, you've got to admit....and since you are smart...please PM me and we can discuss issues in depth thumbsup.gif )

As a retired educator, I am sorry to report that, based on my past four years of observation, Thailand is not prepared to offer itself as a hub of English language. Should the Mistry of Education be interested, I would be willing to advise for a short term contract and their clearing the necessary red tape.

There are many, low cost things that Thailand could do immediately to enhance Thai students' use of English. But I also think, on the basis of observation, that there would be resistance to the changes necessary. OK, Thais certainly have the right to determine their national direction but that direction will not get the desired results regarding English language knowledge.

Retired educator?? Your field of expertise hasn't been writing I reckon...and what has education to do with English proficiency...or do you mean whoever isn't proficient in English is uneducated???

I apologize for seemingly upsetting you. Fortunately, with billions of people inhabiting the globe, you do not need to waste your time with me. Yes, we don't need no stinkin education...I reckon.

I apologize for seemingly upsetting you. Fortunately, with billions of people inhabiting the globe, you do not need to waste your time with me. Yes, we don't need no stinkin education...I reckon.

Still haven't got it...

Still haven't got it...

Yep. It's a mistry.