2015 PPV (Body on frame SUV) Comparison

IMHO

The guys over at headlightmag.com have been doing some acceleration and FE tests on these new PPV's... No data on the new Fortuner as yet though

Pajero Sport 2.4L 4x4 GT-Premium 8AT:

0-100: 11.54s

80-120: 8.44s

FE: 11.58 KM/L

Everest 3.2L 4x4 Titanium+ 6AT:

0-100: 12.33s

80-120: 9.32s

FE: 11.16 KM/L

Everest 2.2L 4x2 Titanium 6AT:

0-100: 13.77s

80-120: 10.13s

FE: 12.59 KM/L

As noted, no tests on the new Fortuner's yet, as a comparison I guess we can look at the old model:

Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 V 4AT:

0-100: 13.28s

80-120: 10.30s

FE: 10.63 KM/L

Fortuner 3.0L 4x2 V 4AT:

0-100: 12.71s

80-120: 10.14s

FE: 12.37 KM/L

And we could also look at the new Revo:

Revo 2.8: 4x4 G 6AT:

0-100: 11.63s

80-120: 8.55s

FE: 12.52 KM/L

What can we glean out of this so far?

1. The PJS has the best acceleration times (out of the new gen), but FE is lower than expected given the small engine capacity and 8AT (even the lighter Revo 2.8L is slower).

2 .The 2.2L Everest is slow off the line, but has the best FE - while still retaining similar on-the-go performance to the old Fortuner 3.0L 4AT.

3. It's highly unlikely any of these PPV's are going to get into the lower tax bracket next year.

Source / further reading: http://community.headlightmag.com/index.php?topic=46505.0

so better off buying this year you mean?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guys over at headlightmag.com have been doing some acceleration and FE tests on these new PPV's... No data on the new Fortuner as yet though

As noted, no tests on the new Fortuner's yet, as a comparison I guess we can look at the old model:

Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 V 4AT:

Fortuner 3.0L 4x2 V 4AT:

1. The PJS has the best acceleration times (out of the new gen), but FE is lower than expected given the small engine capacity and 8AT (even the lighter Revo 2.8L is slower).

2 .The 2.2L Everest is slow off the line, but has the best FE - while still retaining similar on-the-go performance to the old Fortuner 3.0L 4AT.

3. It's highly unlikely any of these PPV's are going to get into the lower tax bracket next year.

Source / further reading: http://community.headlightmag.com/index.php?topic=46505.0

No matter what the CO2 output, the taxes go up next year - all these numbers indicate is that they're going up by the maximum amount, not the minimum amount. Yes, this year is the time to buy - next year's price increases are pure tax, not extras.

Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 V 4AT:

Fortuner 3.0L 4x2 V 4AT:

No matter what the CO2 output, the taxes go up next year - all these numbers indicate is that they're going up by the maximum amount, not the minimum amount. Yes, this year is the time to buy - next year's price increases are pure tax, not extras.

I seem to remember seeing a posting in my facebook that showed just about all of the mazda range will increase in price. The most dramatic increase is for the cx-5, over 200K baht. There are also significant increases for mazda 2. If anything it will bode well for the used car market. More cash strapped people will turn to used cars.

The other thing to bear in mind is that most manufacturers have annual price rises as well.

It won't be long before a 1.6M Baht Tuna/EV is 1.8M Baht, and the 1.45M PJS is 1.65M.

By the time this new generation reach mid-life, they'll be pushing or even exceeding 2M Baht.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone posted some delivery (sales) numbers for August, so I thought I'd follow up with September's numbers:

Fortuner: 4,605

Everest: 879

MU-X: 763

Trailblazer: 115

Pajero Sport: 8

Note: this is actual deliveries, not bookings - we won't have a clear picture on actual market share until early next year, as Ford & Mitsubishi aren't yet able to deliver on sales demand.

Someone posted some delivery (sales) numbers for August, so I thought I'd follow up with September's numbers:

Note: this is actual deliveries, not bookings - we won't have a clear picture on actual market share until early next year, as Ford & Mitsubishi aren't yet able to deliver on sales demand.

I saw 4 or 5 everests over the weekend but only couple of new fortuners. They are starting to hit the roads now.

Like you said, the picture is somewhat blurred so early on.

... but here are the market shares so far anyways

post-247739-0-82604700-1445834061_thumb.

It looks like the Everest is the new K2

... and that Thais unsurprisingly still love their Toyotasfacepalm.gif

Thats what Im after but need to decide on top models Pajero Fortuner or Everest. Price not matter.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Only you can determine the criteria that matters, and what are dealbreakers for you..

If it's off-road capabilities: Everest > Pajero Sport = Fortuner.

If it's on-road capabilities: Everest > Pajero Sport > Fortuner. (PJS in front of Fortuner for AWD availability)

If it's safety features: Pajero Sport = Everest > Fortuner (I'm giving the PJS 1st for it's excellent camera)

If it's ride comfort and quietness: Everest > Fortuner = Pajero Sport.

If it's real-world fuel efficiency: Pajero Sport > Everest > Fortuner (note: on paper it's Pajero Sport > Fortuner > Everest though)

If it's outright acceleration: Pajero Sport > Everest > Fortuner

If it's standard features (bragging rights): Everest > Pajero Sport > Fortuner

If it's service center proliferation: Fortuner > Pajero Sport > Everest

Want a moonroof? Everest only

Hate moonroofs? Pajero Sport or Fortuner only (There are Everest models w/out the moonroof, but they also miss out on several other features)

Want AWD? Everest or Pajero Sport only

Want 3rd row seats the fold flat into the floor? Everest and Pajero Sport only (note: Everest one's are electric)

Want a remote open/close rear tailgate? Fortuner and Everest only.

Want it this year? Forget the Everest*, and be prepared to be flexible on color for PJS and Fortuner for a slight chance.

*Unless you're willing to pay extra to buy someone else's position in queue.

Edited by IMHO

Some more smile.png

Want factory GPS Navigation? Fortuner and Pajero Sport only.

Want a DVD Player? Fortuner and Pajero Sport only (PJS also has a roof mounted screen for rear seat passengers)

Want the best audio sound quality? Everest (end of story - in a different league)

Care about rear seat passenger HVAC? Everest (only one with both rear heater, and foot+face vents in every row)

Need the most trunk space? Everest wins easily with 450L (7 seats), 1050L (5 seats) and 2010L (2 seats).

On that last point, the Pajero Sport and Fortuner both have tumble-forward 2nd row seats, that impact their maximum cargo area in 2 seat mode - but make 3rd row access easier than the Everest. The Fortuner has fold-up 3rd row seats that impact it's cargo area in both 2 and 5 seat configurations. Indeed, the Everest in 5 seat mode has similar cargo area to the Fortuner in 2 seat mode (!)

Edited by IMHO

Mr Beefslapper, here's a summary,

1. If you like the modern but slightly awkward styling of the PJS, buy it, it's a good deal.

2. If you are patient, like conservative styling and don't mind the price next year (Ouch), buy the Everest T+.

3. If you are a Toyota Fan, buy the Fortuner and ignore the rest.

Look at the 3 cars (and drive if you can) so you can decide.

The internet is wonderful for many things but judging cars is not one of them.

and don't mind the price next year (Ouch)

There's an expectation in the market that the 2016 taxes will be applied based on booking date, rather than delivery date. Most probably because that's how it worked with the 1st car buyer scheme. However, I am yet to see anything official along these lines - so don't take that as gospel.

Some good tips here.

So Far its Pajero for me.

As Jitar says - do some test driving if you can. A lot of these 'paper specs' have much less weighting if you find yourself preferring the way one of them drives, and feels behind the wheel.

e.g. no point buying a car if the seating position just doesn't work for you, or the seats are too hard / too soft for the type of travelling you do, or your head hits the roof no matter how you adjust the chairs. When it comes to performance, there's more to it than just acceleration figures - on the road it's about torque availability, gearing, and engine responsiveness.

Edited by IMHO

One thing that these pre-views brought to my attention is that the PJS does not have airbag protection in the 3rd row seats:

05.jpg

Source: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.th/all-new-pajero-sport/

Whereas the Fortuner and Everest do:

Fortuner:

bgDetail.jpg

Source: http://www.toyota.co.th/fortuner/safety.html

Everest:

post-163537-0-21252900-1446261112_thumb.

Source: http://www.ford.co.th/en/suvs/all-new-everest/features/quality

Some good tips here.

So Far its Pajero for me.

As Jitar says - do some test driving if you can. A lot of these 'paper specs' have much less weighting if you find yourself preferring the way one of them drives, and feels behind the wheel.

e.g. no point buying a car if the seating position just doesn't work for you, or the seats are too hard / too soft for the type of travelling you do, or your head hits the roof no matter how you adjust the chairs. When it comes to performance, there's more to it than just acceleration figures - on the road it's about torque availability, gearing, and engine responsiveness.

Those are good points - if you don't like the driving environment and feel behind the wheel, the bells and whistles really don't matter. For example, if I can't rest my arm on the 'arm rest' comfortably in the pjs, I probably wouldn't consider it.

The first Aussie review of the Everest has appeared overnight:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/392313/2016-ford-everest-trend-review/

Of course, you can ignore the "pricey" comments and score hit - because in Thailand it's the same price as Fortuner smile.png

All manner of sharp corrugations and rapid sequences are absorbed well, rounded-off and dispatched in a way reminiscent of a European luxury SUV
Edited by IMHO

The Fortuner has now been through Aussie FE, emissions and noise testing, so that leaves just the new PJS without official data.

Here's how they rate (all are top-spec, AT, 4x4 versions)

Model / Combined FE / Combined CO2 / Stationary Noise level

MU-X 3.0L: 12.05 KM/L / 219 g/KM / 78dBA

Everest 3.2L: 11.76 KM/L / 224 g/KM / 73dBA

Fortuner 2.8L: 11.63 KM/L / 228 g/KM / 75dBA

Trailblazer 2.8L: 10.87 KM/L / 243 g/KM / 81dBA

Note: +6dB sounds twice as loud to the human ear.

Edited by IMHO

The 200g/km barrier is a bugga.

Can the PJS beat it?

Is the stationary noise data particularly useful?

According to sources, the PJS's Thai "eco sticker" is going to say 199 g/KM - which makes it even more interesting to see numbers from the Aussie test cycle..

I guess stationary noise shows a difference between how noisy engines are at idle, so you don't have to take some journo's word for it if you weren't able to judge them in a quiet enough environment yourself wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Be interesting to see how Mitsu manage the tax benefit since they are already the price leader.

The EV was tested a very low 2,250 rpm because the EV has a low power peak. Generally the test is at 75% of max power speed.

73dBA is very low, helped by the low speed and a quiet exhaust system.

The noise level is also measured outside near the exhaust so it's not really an indicator of what the driver will hear.

Clever Mitsu marketing strategy since the PJS is under 200g/km and the tax hit is not that large anyway.

If only they were smart enough to do something with the rear end styling.

Hehe.. Apparently the president has been going from dealer to dealer to personally do handover to new owners too - which is making him a bit of a celebrity, and has many customers gushing :)