2015 PPV (Body on frame SUV) Comparison

IMHO

Now that the new Pajero Sport is out, some side-by-side comparisons can be made.

This chart focusses only on the differences between the top-spec 4WD variant of the current generation PPV's - features they all share in common (e.g. leather seats, fog lamps etc) have been omitted. It's all purely objective - there are of course many other considerations to take into account as well.

post-163537-0-84507000-1438401636_thumb.

Edit: Sorry for the small text size - I've tried uploading it twice, but this site keeps on shrinking it down :(

Edited by IMHO

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new 3 are all pretty well loaded with gadgets, with the New PJS being particularly good value.

Be interesting to see a comparison of acceleration or power to weight ratio.

The titanium + is about 2.5 tonnes. Not sure on the other new ones. And a ranger 3.2 is considerably lighter than the 2.2 everest. Better comfort in the everest, better acceleration in the ranger.

The new 3 are all pretty well loaded with gadgets, with the New PJS being particularly good value.

The titanium + is about 2.5 tonnes. Not sure on the other new ones. And a ranger 3.2 is considerably lighter than the 2.2 everest. Better comfort in the everest, better acceleration in the ranger.

Yep, an SUV version of a pickup platform is always going to add 300-400KG.

We'll likely need to wait until October when these are all launched in AU/NZ before we'll get detailed/accurate weight, FE and crash test comparisons :(

Edited by IMHO

I think the audio system comparison pretty much shows the intended target market for each vehicle. Everything but the Ford has a dated DVD player and fewer speakers, probably for all the crap karaoke videos and stuff. The Ford has 9 speakers for audiophiles, and only a CD, which is obviously a concession to legacy guys who still have some laying around but not digital. No DVD cheap diversions for the Everest snobs. laugh.png

Nice chart there. Is it really true that the Ford doesn't offer GPS or rear seat entertainment. If so I feel that is a huge oversight for the thai market. Yes it seems better in every other way than say the mu-x but I feel missing those 2 features will still drive many Thais away.

Edited by Dellie

Nice chart there. Is it really true that the Ford doesn't offer GPS or rear seat entertainment. If so I feel that is a huge oversight for the thai market. Yes it seems better in every other way than say the mu-x but I feel missing those 2 features will still drive many Thais away.

When I met 'those involved' and asked WHY no GPS ... they said ... "so that we can give you something else" ... "anyway people use their phones now". I think 'somewhere' someones IQ slipped ....

When I met 'those involved' and asked WHY no GPS ... they said ... "so that we can give you something else" ... "anyway people use their phones now". I think 'somewhere' someones IQ slipped ....

The SYNC2 system does support GPS, so it's a conscious decision to not include it in the Everest.

As for DVD - for me, I don't care what type of disc a car audio system takes, it will never get used - my phone, or a passenger's phone is always going to be where music comes from. The only discs I've been buying over the last few years are Blu-ray's anyway - which none of these cars support... It's been over 8 years since I bought a DVD disc.

The same applies to back seat entertainment - my kids are either going to be listening to their phones with headsets, or maybe an iPad on a longer journey.

Some updated charts...

Green = Can claim "best in class"

Red = Missing feature

4WD Top Spec:

post-163537-0-97305200-1438473002_thumb.

2WD Top Spec:

post-163537-0-66776300-1438472735_thumb.

In the 2WD charts I included two Fortuner versions, as they have a model that far exceeds to price points of others.

Feel free to let me know if I've got something wrong here smile.png

Edited by IMHO

The conclusion seems pretty clear to me. If price is your main consideration and bang for buck, the Mitsui is the winner. If overall best in class and you are not price sensitive, Ford is the clear overall winner. All the others pale by comparison. And, we have not addressed design, styling, and other issues.

The conclusion seems pretty clear to me. If price is your main consideration and bang for buck, the Mitsui is the winner. If overall best in class and you are not price sensitive, Ford is the clear overall winner. All the others pale by comparison. And, we have not addressed design, styling, and other issues.

.... Ditto! thumbsup.gif

There's a reason those models got the 1st and 2nd columns :D

The PJ also has an electronic parking brake. Although I know some drivers prefer the manual version. It would be perfect if it also had an automatic tailgate.

Would like to upgrade early next year. Any idea how much more the GT Premium will cost in 2016 due to the new tax rates?

Edited by pj123

I understand the rate will increase from 20 to 25% as the CO2 output is less than 200.

I estimate the pre-tax price is 1,090,342, based on less 7% VAT then less 20% tax.

Add 25% plus 7% on that = 1,458,333.

So another 58,000 THB in 2016?

Edited by pj123

We'll likely need to wait until October when these are all launched in AU/NZ before we'll get detailed/accurate weight, FE and crash test comparisons sad.png

200hp and 2.5 tonnes does not sound like a recipe for any performance improvement over the current crop.

Oh well, at least the new trucks have more toys to play with or brag about at the pub.

The crash test results from Australia may not be as accurate as we would hope. In the past some models just inherited the pick up relatives ratings.

The SYNC2 system does support GPS, so it's a conscious decision to not include it in the Everest.

As for DVD - for me, I don't care what type of disc a car audio system takes, it will never get used - my phone, or a passenger's phone is always going to be where music comes from. The only discs I've been buying over the last few years are Blu-ray's anyway - which none of these cars support... It's been over 8 years since I bought a DVD disc.

The same applies to back seat entertainment - my kids are either going to be listening to their phones with headsets, or maybe an iPad on a longer journey.

I can deal with the rear seat entertainment not being there. Like u said the kids can just use their tablets or whatever. The lack of built in gps is a dealbreaker for me though as I wanna be able to use my phone during stops at traffic lights (600 second lights in BKK for example) or in traffic jams to read news, check forums, watch youtube, etc. Im not a patient man and having something to do during down time in traffic is vital to my mental health here :)

Oh and normal external gps systems also not an option as I dont like stuff cluttering up the front window.

We'll likely need to wait until October when these are all launched in AU/NZ before we'll get detailed/accurate weight, FE and crash test comparisons sad.png

200hp and 2.5 tonnes does not sound like a recipe for any performance improvement over the current crop.

Oh well, at least the new trucks have more toys to play with or brag about at the pub.

The crash test results from Australia may not be as accurate as we would hope. In the past some models just inherited the pick up relatives ratings.

Dont Mention the weight, it upsets the Clonker Folk.They like to think its got performance better than a Vios or Swift.

Strange that the new pjs doesnt have elec seats for the passenger and missing elec tailgate. For the rest mitsu big winner for me.

Agreed, particularly as the current model has electric front passenger seat. Strange that it would be omitted in an upgrade.

Strange that the new pjs doesnt have elec seats for the passenger and missing elec tailgate. For the rest mitsu big winner for me.

I guess they have to leave some features for their like-clockwork January minor change :)

I didn't know what SYNC2 was. So I googled and saw a video on youtube of the unit in a Ford Focus and it mentioned navigation and I saw a map on the screen and spoken directions. Could this have been via a smart phone with some sort of Ford App? Edited by JAS21

I didn't know what SYNC2 was. So I googled and saw a video on youtube of the unit in a Ford Focus and it mentioned navigation and I saw a map on the screen and spoken directions. Could this have been via a smart phone with some sort of Ford App?

he

Outside of ASEAN, SYNC2 almost always have built-in GPS navigation. Here in ASEAN, we get an electronic compass.

IIRC, the SYNC2 & SYNC3 Navi is powered by Bing maps, which could explain why Ford have elected to feature-delete it.

I agree with those involved.. car GPS has become a niche product pretty quick. I use GPS once a year - let's face it you're not going to drive brand new routes every single day - and in those times phone handles itself very well. Car Navi system is a bit like a car phone - remember those? Yeah...

What is bizarre on the new Everest - no LED lights.

Edited by nikster

I agree with those involved.. car GPS has become a niche product pretty quick. I use GPS once a year - let's face it you're not going to drive brand new routes every single day - and in those times phone handles itself very well. Car Navi system is a bit like a car phone - remember those? Yeah...

What is bizarre on the new Everest - no LED lights.

It has lots of LED lights - DRL's, taillights, cabin ambient lights, even the door sills have LED's in them ... I have no problems with xenon headlights - I'm sure in the event a fault you'll find replacement xenon bulbs and ballasts a lot easier than a replacement LED ;)

Some preliminary FE specs, based on Australian test cycles:

Trailblazer 2.8: 4WD 6AT: 10.87 KM/L

Ford Everest 3.2L 4WD 6AT: 11.76 KM/L

Isuzu MU-X 3.0L 4WD 5AT: 12.05 KM/L

The Pajero Sport and Fortuner 2.4L should both achieve low-mid 13.x KM/L based on the fact that both are < 200gm/KM CO2.

No data to work with on the Fortuner 2.8L

It's hilarious when you see those figures of big trucks being lower than a chevy cruze type car(11.5~)

Those trucks have diesel engines ... could that have anything to do with it ...just wondering