2015 PPV (Body on frame SUV) Comparison

IMHO

Someone posted some delivery (sales) numbers for August, so I thought I'd follow up with September's numbers:

Fortuner: 4,605

Everest: 879

MU-X: 763

Trailblazer: 115

Pajero Sport: 8

Note: this is actual deliveries, not bookings - we won't have a clear picture on actual market share until early next year, as Ford & Mitsubishi aren't yet able to deliver on sales demand.

October's delivery numbers:

Fortuner: 4,278

Pajero Sport: 3,289*

Everest: 937

MU-X: 857

Trailblazer: 150

* Figures above supplied by Toyota. Mitsubishi's press release overnight says they delivered 3,279 units in Oct.

November's deliveries:

Pajero Sport: 5,318

Fortuner: 4,910

MU-X: 1,174

Everest: 1,036

Trailblazer: 145

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so every month there's about 115-145 people who get a stroke while buying their car

LOL.

Or just get sucked in by the 500Nm on the brochure, but that actually looks like this on a graph: ^ tongue.png

Not sure on the stroke, but they sure are deaf! biggrin.png

Some updated charts...

Green = Can claim "best in class"

Red = Missing feature

4WD Top Spec:

attachicon.gif2015PPV-4WD.png

2WD Top Spec:

attachicon.gif2015PPV-2WD.png

In the 2WD charts I included two Fortuner versions, as they have a model that far exceeds to price points of others.

Feel free to let me know if I've got something wrong here smile.png

Where is take?

In pajero sport have electric passenger s have!!!

Another article from Drive that puts the Everest and Fortuner up against the Land Rover Discovery Sport and Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for their Best 4WD of the year:

http://www.drive.com.au/car-of-the-year/2015-drive-car-of-the-year-best-4wd-20151124-gl6t25.html

Given their COTY choice, no awards for guessing which one came out the hottest tongue.png

Ha Ha

its serious?

so new Fortuner so far away from 2013 ?

Because i have both ( Fortuner, Land Rover Discovery Sport) Its FAAAR.

Fortuner

Why not X3? Q5?

Realy funny.

Another article from Drive that puts the Everest and Fortuner up against the Land Rover Discovery Sport and Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for their Best 4WD of the year:

http://www.drive.com.au/car-of-the-year/2015-drive-car-of-the-year-best-4wd-20151124-gl6t25.html

Given their COTY choice, no awards for guessing which one came out the hottest tongue.png

Ha Ha

its serious?

Fortuner

Why not X3? Q5?

Realy funny.

Sorry couldn't understand any of that or what point you were trying to make.

Ha Ha

its serious?

Fortuner

Why not X3? Q5?

Realy funny.

Clearly enjoying excess Christmas spirit me thinks

Ha Ha

its serious?

Fortuner

Why not X3? Q5?

Realy funny.

Not sure either, but maybe his point is that X3 is overpriced and that Q5 loses its value and has no service or parts capability? All referenced SUVs in the post pale by comparison with the new Everest on value for money.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm not spending much time at my Thai home lately, but after being back for a week I can't help thinking 'what the hell were the Toyota designers thinking', when they penned the new Fortuner. The window line around the rear doors is dead wrong. It looks awful to me and the new Pajero is pretty damned unfortunate looking too.

Ha Ha

its serious?

Fortuner

Why not X3? Q5?

Realy funny.

I can't speak for publication, but the publication previously awarded the Jeep - so it think it was arranged as "the cheap pair" (Fortuner/Jeep) vs "the expensive pair" (Everest/Disco Sport).

BMW and Audi don't make proper off-roaders. Take them on a real offroad course (not just one built for demo) and they'll be lifting wheels at the first little dip in the track - they just don't have the wheel articulation of the wagons in this group, nor do they have diff locking, which is considered pretty essential for people who buy these types of cars because they actually need them ;)

Don't worry, your German brands were represented in the Luxury SUV category: http://www.drive.com.au/video-cars/video-car-of-the-year/best-luxury-suv-2015-drive-car-of-the-year-20151203-479h5.html

:)

I can't speak for publication, but the publication previously awarded the Jeep - so it think it was arranged as "the cheap pair" (Fortuner/Jeep) vs "the expensive pair" (Everest/Disco Sport).

BMW and Audi don't make proper off-roaders. Take them on a real offroad course (not just one built for demo) and they'll be lifting wheels at the first little dip in the track - they just don't have the wheel articulation of the wagons in this group, nor do they have diff locking, which is considered pretty essential for people who buy these types of cars because they actually need them wink.png

Don't worry, your German brands were represented in the Luxury SUV category: http://www.drive.com.au/video-cars/video-car-of-the-year/best-luxury-suv-2015-drive-car-of-the-year-20151203-479h5.html

smile.png

I do not worry.biggrin.png

Just funny.

So you try tell me fortuner its realy ofrroads car ?

I do not know about New fortuner. But my 2013 its real shit. plastic parts ( due to the wind speed) above the front left wheel polamat plastic mount. Now there is a gap between the bumper.

The whole car creaks. I can hardly imagine that for x3 or Disco.

but I did, and half did not use off-road as my x3 or x 5.

And real point its Disco its more Luxury suv for me. and Fortuner it very FAAAR comfort from Disco. SO if have Disco its logical have X3 or Q5 its more compare closer than Fortuner.

Of course if the New Fortuner far quality and options . it can be comparison. But I had the opportunity to try the new Fortuner. In the options it lags behind modern cars even more. Quality do not know too little time has passed.

PS

Real ofroad its Land cruiser 80,100(105),Patrol, Gelenvagen, Defender,Wrangler, Pajero(i mean real not sportrolleyes.gif ).... etc.

wai.gif

Ha Ha

its serious?

Fortuner

Why not X3? Q5?

Realy funny.

You try drive the mentioned car? I drive them all except for the new Cherokee.

I guess if you try ALL this is car. You will be understanding , what about i talkingsad.png

You think that the Fortuner could be compared with Disco?whistling.gif

So why Can not with X3 or Q5?biggrin.png

I don't think anyone's saying that a Fortuner is comparable to a Land Rover ;)

I do agree the Fortuner seems an odd choice to include in the finalists. I can only imagine it was a wildcard entry to see how it would compete on value for money, not on product substance. The Prado or Landcruiser actual would have been a smarter Toyota choice to include in the field - but I suspect they had a budget in mind. That would also explain why they put up the Disco Sport instead of the Disco4.

BMW and Audi don't make proper off-roaders. Take them on a real offroad course (not just one built for demo) and they'll be lifting wheels at the first little dip in the track - they just don't have the wheel articulation of the wagons in this group, nor do they have diff locking, which is considered pretty essential for people who buy these types of cars because they actually need them wink.png

smile.png

I do not worry.biggrin.png

Just funny.

So you try tell me fortuner its realy ofrroads car ?

I do not know about New fortuner. But my 2013 its real shit. plastic parts ( due to the wind speed) above the front left wheel polamat plastic mount. Now there is a gap between the bumper.

The whole car creaks. I can hardly imagine that for x3 or Disco.

but I did, and half did not use off-road as my x3 or x 5.

And real point its Disco its more Luxury suv for me. and Fortuner it very FAAAR comfort from Disco. SO if have Disco its logical have X3 or Q5 its more compare closer than Fortuner.

Of course if the New Fortuner far quality and options . it can be comparison. But I had the opportunity to try the new Fortuner. In the options it lags behind modern cars even more. Quality do not know too little time has passed.

PS

Real ofroad its Land cruiser 80,100(105),Patrol, Gelenvagen, Defender,Wrangler, Pajero(i mean real not sportrolleyes.gif ).... etc.

wai.gif

Yes, the Fortuner does offroad well - the combination locking diff, ground clearance and wheel articulation means it will get in & out of places where crossovers like the BMW x's and Audi Q's just won't. Remember - this wasn't "SUV of the year" it is "4WD of the year" - and thus could have even included pickups as well.

Yes, the Fortuner does offroad well - the combination locking diff, ground clearance and wheel articulation means it will get in & out of places where crossovers like the BMW x's and Audi Q's just won't. Remember - this wasn't "SUV of the year" it is "4WD of the year" - and thus could have even included pickups as well.

Get in- maybe. out its Not sure, becouse if crankcase of the engine is the same as on the previous model. This is not more batter plastic on X3.

And please not BMW x's , BWM X3 , becouse even X6 can "in & out " more far than x3.

And ofcause Q5 it not ofroad car.whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

I'm sorry, but I really ridiculous comparison of such vehicles. Yes Fortuner can show off-road, if you change the engine protection, change the bumper and protect (hide) some pipes under the car. in the condition that I see in Thailand, he will Not go ofroad very far x3.
Well, if you consider the comfort and specification.
Then for the same price , Disco and Cherokee -Fortuner?
You look spec Disco as price "top fortuner" 69k AU$ ??
Exactly FJ cruiser more suitable for comparison if you take the off-road .
Ofcouse can say it not same engine ,fuel consumption. Not same comfort and option in salon.
Haha
100-120 km/h fortuner 2.8 near 9 l/100km , 100-120km/h FJ cruiser 4 near 11 l/ km.
Disco 2.2 near 6.5 .
disco an fortuner its NOT same angine too.
whatever
Any side look, its funny comparison
In Australia have Highlander(Kluger), Prado near only 10% up price. Its in Thailand not to big choicesaai.gifannoyed.gif
PS
4wd its not only offroads.
And xDrive its so good as 4WD sport drive and little be offroadrolleyes.gif
drunk.gif
Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quoting myself biggrin.png

I actually didn't ever think we'd see top-spec vs top-spec comparison like this out of Australia, given the wide price gap between them there (AUD$15,000 = THB 380,000).

Even more unexpected is that the Everest still beats the top Fortuner even with an almost 400K Baht price premium weighed into the equation - that's the kind of money that can make you overlook a lot of shortcomings... I have to admit that if I could have bought the top-spec Fortuner for 1.2M Baht (400K less than what I paid for my MY15 T+), I would have given it a second or third thought, rather than just dismissing it off-hand.

Note that the price gap between these two here in Thailand is 120K Baht - The Everest Titanium+ 3.2L AWD 6AT is 1,749,000 and the Fortuner "V" 2.8L 4WD 6AT is 1,629,000 Baht.

RE: the misquoted Fortuner ground clearance, these are the guys that raised the error with Toyota: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2016-toyota-fortuner-gx-manual-review/

I'm surprised the guys at Drive are still misquoting the old figure, given Toyota admitted the wrong figure 9 days before this comparison was published.

Archived