Thailand to retain lead exporter of rice this year

Lite Beer

Thailand to retain lead exporter of rice this year

1-8-2558-12-44-24-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Rice Exporters Association says Thailand will continue to be the lead exporter of rice in the world market although it suffered drought problem.

The association said Thailand’s standing as the leading exporter of rice remains uncontested.
It said figures for the first half of the year showed total rice exports at 4.46 million tons, which although is a drop of around 4.7%, still generated 72 billion baht in income.

The other major players with regard to rice exports are India, Vietnam, Pakistan followed by the US.

The association expects that rice export figures for July should show an increase of between 700,000 – 800,000 tons brought on by customers supply fears as a result of the recent drought problem in the country.

This in conjunction with the lower value of the baht will make Thailand’s rice prices even more competitive, it said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-to-retain-lead-exporter-of-rice-this-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-01

It is certainly hard not be be number one when you have mountains of rice rotting away in the warehouses that are being released to the market.

I am sure had this surplus not been there it may be another story considering this drought.

Looks like the sale of 1 million tons of rice to China at above market prices helped boost revenues.

Unless of course the windfall profits are recycled back to China in other undisclosed deals like maybe purchase of submarines.

Looks like the sale of 1 million tons of rice to China at above market prices helped boost revenues.

Unless of course the windfall profits are recycled back to China in other undisclosed deals like maybe purchase of submarines.

I'm somewhat puzzled how the possible or alleged purchase of submarines could 'deboost' revenue on the sale of rice.

Why would China, or any other country in the world for that matter, pay above market price for rice?

I'm somewhat puzzled how the possible or alleged purchase of submarines could 'deboost' revenue on the sale of rice.

I am somewhat puzzled that after a staggering 19,975 postings you do not understand how Thai Visa works.

You find an ax to grind, and regardless of the topic, find a way to connect the dots .. no matter how weak.

Imagine an article about anything that a man can easily carry .. a carton of cigarettes, a loaf of bread, a box of candles .. anything really ...

That man and that parcel could employ a tuk tuk to get home.

Enter the Tuk Tuk mafia ... and the word "Thainess" .. and we are off the races!

Sriker has a problem with Thailand having submarines, despite the fact this relatively small country ranks 37th ( 3,219 KM) of coastline. But I am confident people like Striker most likely has a problem with anything done in Thailand.

So yes, you nailed it .. I can not imagine a bigger stretch than the historic #1 rice exporter in the world retaining that title, and submarines.

Edited by Guest

It is certainly hard not be be number one when you have mountains of rice rotting away in the warehouses that are being released to the market.

I am sure had this surplus not been there it may be another story considering this drought.

Well it would appear the marketing is quite exceptional - not many would carry the ability to retain the number one rice exporting position by selling rotting rice!!!

I am somewhat puzzled that after a staggering 19,975 postings you do not understand how Thai Visa works.

You find an ax to grind, and regardless of the topic, find a way to connect the dots .. no matter how weak.

Imagine an article about anything that a man can easily carry .. a carton of cigarettes, a loaf of bread, a box of candles .. anything really ...

Enter the Tuk Tuk mafia ... and the word "Thainess" .. and we are off the races!

Sriker has a problem with Thailand having submarines, despite the fact this relatively small country ranks 37th ( 3,219 KM) of coastline. But I am confident people like Striker most likely has a problem with anything done in Thailand.

So yes, you nailed it .. I can not imagine a bigger stretch than the historic #1 rice exporter in the world retaining that title, and submarines.

Rather surprised you have never heard of MOU or trade agreements?

Thai rice is exceptionally good of course, and stands on its own merit, in fact I supported the Thai rice growers just today by buying a 5kg pack so not surprised China is buying quality product

Shows that without (much) government involvement the market can cope nicely although helped by a weaker Baht.

Also by a much lower purchasing price from the producer - which in turn has resulted in the Prime minister insisting the government becomes heavily involved, that Thailand does not leap into the number one position for farmers debt and payment default resulting in loss of land.

Fortunate indeed the Prime minister does not have his head in the sand along with quite a few on this Forum!

Thai rice is exceptionally good of course, and stands on its own merit, in fact I supported the Thai rice growers just today by buying a 5kg pack so not surprised China is buying quality product

OK, so, here we have it.

Since you have not said anything about trade agreements, and MOU between two nations (?) and lastly .. I now leave it to you to produce some evidence that China .. CHINA .. the county .. paid "above market prices."

Oh my, that is SO Chinese! They LOVE to offer above market prices! Well known for that! 555

(1) When did the nation of China sign an MOU that they would pay above market prices for rice, in exchange for the purchase of two submarines?

... or is that just a board room meeting .. with the voices in your head?

Happy to know that the rice crisis is averted! You bought 5 Kilos!

Oh god, you just can not make this stuff up!

Edited by Guest

OK, so, here we have it.

Since you have not said anything about trade agreements, and MOU between two nations (?) and lastly .. I now leave it to you to produce some evidence that China .. CHINA .. the county .. paid "above market prices."

Oh my, that is SO Chinese! They LOVE to offer above market prices! Well known for that! 555

(1) When did the nation of China sign an MOU that they would pay above market prices for rice, in exchange for the purchase of two submarines?

... or is that just a board room meeting .. with the voices in your head?

Happy to know that the rice crisis is averted! You bought 5 Kilos!

Oh god, you just can not make this stuff up!

" I can not imagine a bigger stretch than the historic #1 rice exporter in the world retaining that title, and submarines"

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

And the farmers are still in poverty.....

The farmers are still in poverty, God's in his heaven and all 's well with the

world. thumbsup.gif

Indeed. All going to the long term plan. Did u know that until the 80s, rice exporters had to pay a special tax?

More interesting would be some statistics on rice acreage, yield, location, farmers involved and percentage of poor/medium/rich farmers. all this over the last 30 years.

And the farmers are still in poverty.....

The farmers are still in poverty, God's in his heaven and all 's well with the

world. thumbsup.gif

Indeed. All going to the long term plan. Did u know that until the 80s, rice exporters had to pay a special tax?

More interesting would be some statistics on rice acreage, yield, location, farmers involved and percentage of poor/medium/rich farmers. all this over the last 30 years.

Well, I have some data up until about 10 years ago. Yields were poorest in Isaan, best in the central plains. Farmers needed at least 8 raised to be profitable.

Basically, farmers have been encouraged to grow something for export that the exporters know will not provide a living income for the farmers. The farmers should grow enough to feed the country and barely any more for export.

Some areas should stop production all together.

Well, I have some data up until about 10 years ago. Yields were poorest in Isaan, best in the central plains. Farmers needed at least 8 raised to be profitable.

Basically, farmers have been encouraged to grow something for export that the exporters know will not provide a living income for the farmers. The farmers should grow enough to feed the country and barely any more for export.

Provides a good living for the millers and the exporters though. Which is absolutely the whole point. Keep 'em poor, keep 'em stupid. That way you can rip them off all the easier.

Well, recently farmers have been encouraged to grow something else, in the central plains, hang on!?!

Well, recently farmers have been encouraged to grow something else, in the central plains, hang on!?!

Ironically, the easiest place to grow is the central plains. Problem is they grow the most generic type of rice with the lowest sale price. Isaan has hom Mali but little structured irrigation.

Ironically, the easiest place to grow is the central plains. Problem is they grow the most generic type of rice with the lowest sale price. Isaan has hom Mali but little structured irrigation.

Isn't Jasmin an arid grown rice though? Surely they couldn't grow that in the wet central plains but is fine without the irrigation in Isaan?

Isn't Jasmin an arid grown rice though? Surely they couldn't grow that in the wet central plains but is fine without the irrigation in Isaan?

It needs a minimum amount. Just go and look at the areas in Isaan with paddy and zero irrigation. Huge tracts. They can sell every kilo of hom Mali but a limited area of production.