“Bike for Mom” set to hit Guinness World Records, PRD chief says

Lite Beer

“Bike for Mom” set to hit Guinness World Records, PRD chief says

BANGKOK, 1 August 2015 (NNT) - The “Bike for Mom” campaign is set to become a new "Guinness World Record" breaker with an unprecedented number of registered cyclists who will take part in the first ever event in the history of Thailand and possibly the world to be held simultaneously at all corners of the country, Director-General of the Public Relations Department (PRD) Apinan Juntarungsri revealed on Saturday.

Guinness World Records, the universally recognized authority on record-breaking achievement, has been contacted by the Public Relations Department (PRD) to include the event in their catalog.

To hit the record as hoped, Mr.Apinan has assigned PRD offices in all provinces to coordinate with provincial governors in getting everything, both people and systems involved, ready for the world record. Road signs and routes for the campaign are to be clearly identified. Barcodes will be distributed to participating cyclists to help the Guinness World Records team scan and count their number.

The Bike for Mom campaign will take place in the next two weeks on Sunday 16 August nationwide in honor of Her Majesty the Queen on the auspicious occasion of her 83rd birthday anniversary on 12 August, four days ahead the event.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-01 footer_n.gif

Since a number of past cyclists, while in Thailand during a world tour, attempting to set a world record, or just locals out for a morning ride, have been run over and slaughtered by errant Somchais who get fined five hundred baht, maybe Guinness should be prepared to immortalize another category of accomplishment …. most participants killed trying to set a world record.

Upside of this event, the road has been resurfaced and touched up pedantically to make it look and feel perfect. MEA has been working to clear up anything unsightly in their sphere of responsibility. Army and police tents already setting up along the route, manned daily.

Maybe they might even throw a coat of paint over some of the less than presentable buildings along the route.

Does anyone know what the world record they will be aiming to set.... just bums on seats?

“Bike for Mom”, this event is initiated by a bike constructor. Thailand cannot be a country for bikers. Cycling is only for the very poor, most of them are non Thais. As soon as a Thai can buy a motorbike or a car, he's so proud, must show it, and don't want to lose face by cycling like a poor.

I have been seeing stuff about bike for mum for weeks now. Nobody takes the trouble to explain what it is about or why it is about. I can't be bothered to google it if the organisers can't be bothered to explain what it is about.

Bike for Mom, this event is initiated by a bike constructor. Thailand cannot be a country for bikers. Cycling is only for the very poor, most of them are non Thais. As soon as a Thai can buy a motorbike or a car, he's so proud, must show it, and don't want to lose face by cycling like a poor.

Wrong! In Bangkok metropolis at least. Here there are many cycling clubs patronised by affluent professionals. More than a few own race style bicycles worth several times that of a new scooter. There's also a growing fixed gear (kamikaze) culture. There's a camaraderie between this new breed of cyclists as well - it's the rule rather than the exception nowadays that they acknowledge similar cyclists with a wave.

when we have bike-a-thons or whatever-a-thons, we do it to raise money for a good cause, you know, fight cancer, MS, etc...

For mother's day we phone home and send flowers...

It's to celebrate the Queens birthday. Participating in the event is intended as a public demonstration of loyalty to her.

when we have bike-a-thons or whatever-a-thons, we do it to raise money for a good cause, you know, fight cancer, MS, etc...

For mother's day we phone home and send flowers...

It's to celebrate the Queens birthday. Participating in the event is intended as a public demonstration of loyalty to her.

yes i think we know what it's for dude

Where does one sign up for this? Went to the City Hall last month and the young kids there said all the registrations (= free t shirts?) were closed/full?

Will there be a lot of un-registered cyclists as well?

Here, I think.

https://www.bikeformom2015.com/

Yes, I went there last month, and for my province it says all full:

*** *** Sorry

Now the system has been registered participants

Since registrations are free and resources limited they cannot actually add more. They won't know how many actually participate. I was going to go along for ride anyway.

........Tom...remember when I told you 'Thailand should develop cycling and bicycle paths'.....and you laughed in my face.......

...well...somebody took the mindset and ran with it.......rode with it.....

Edited by SOTIRIOS

World records are pretty easy to set. All you need to do is be obscure and add multiple levels of detail.

For example., Yesterday I set a world record for playing tiddlywinks while sat on the loo at 9am, keeping one foot off the floor at all times while wearing a bicycle helmet just like our esteemed PM's..

Would anyone like to congratulate me?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif hard time stop laughing ... the people from Guinness World Records are gonna see something they wouldnt believe was possible ... I hope they are gonna drive on closed roads or the mayhem will be out of this World ...

BTW too bad the Chilean cycklist (and many many others) could not participate in "Bike for Mom" but he was mowed over and killed by one of these crazy drivers that afterwards got a fine for reckless driving ... blink.png

Good luck to all, I hope you survive ... whistling.gif

Thais are actually discovering the bike as a good workout. I have seen more and more people on bikes in recent years, both for sport and for utility (like a quick trip to the local store or ATM).

And your generalizing has a bit of a condescending tone. Why?

“Bike for Mom”, this event is initiated by a bike constructor. Thailand cannot be a country for bikers. Cycling is only for the very poor, most of them are non Thais. As soon as a Thai can buy a motorbike or a car, he's so proud, must show it, and don't want to lose face by cycling like a poor.