Thai Booze Ban...did not go down too well.....

menzies233

The ban on booze for the past two days had no effect in our place yesterday.

The missus just did a great deal on our Lam Yai crop, I worked it out that going by past yields and current prices we should be up for about 250K (based on about 8 tons)

Well low an behold she sells it in advance for more than 300k!!!! They pick it and we have nothing else to do, 1 month from today they come and pick...mad really, I would never gamble with the prices as Lam Yai are currently 33 Baht for AA but if the supply increases it can drop to less than 20 Baht.

Anyway, back to the booze storey, I found a five litre container of "high end" (ho ho) Hooch in the kitchen, after 5 bottles of beer I thought it a great idea to sample the hooch, well, it ended in major sorrow!

Death threats to the wife because she is a stingy bitch, she borrowed 40K to buy fertiliser from me ( I bought the land and bought the trees and looked after them for more than 10 years but always made virtually nothing)

This year however, I loaned the money and they seem to have scored some money, however, they seemed to think that repaying the 40K was all that was required..... well not in my book, I want 50% of the money after expenses, sounds reasonable to me eh?

Not to a Thai! They seemed to think that they were entitled to the entire profit!

Well, things went from bad to worse, I promised to cut every damn tree down and burn the crop if I didn't get a bit of the share, the lao kao was a real fuel for anger, lucky I didn't strangle her at the time.

Woke up 10 am this morning with 70K on the bed with promises of more to come.\

Thank you Lao Kao!

These buggers will milk you dry (hopefully at a good hotel) if given a chance!

only natural that if you paid for the land, paid for the trees and then helped to plant and take care of them you would be entitled to at least a minimum 50% of the profits. Want to take it further if she whinges about it, tell her she has to pay rent for the use of the land and trees you paid for as well as the percentage of profit, only fair after all seeing it hasnt cost her bugger all to start with.

I simply stockpiled 2 days worth of booze before the ban. Had absolutely no effect on me. Now I can continue to buy booze again.

Lesson I learned: Me still smarter than Thai government 's puny, nonsensical laws.

I simply stockpiled 2 days worth of booze before the ban. Had absolutely no effect on me. Now I can continue to buy booze again.

Lesson I learned: Me still smarter than Thai government 's puny, nonsensical laws.

You have not learned the No1 lesson------------------ Never seriously upset a Thai,Male or Female---------- so I say to you(also serioysly) be prepared for real trouble------ you're not at home nowcoffee1.gif

Only difference dealing with Thais would be that I would make perfectly clear what my cut would be before buying, renting or planting anything. That way they would not have one word to say. I am too careful not to get in any business dealings with Thais that require planning and long-term maintenance. I have sometimes bought something cheap when they were out of business selling furniture or similar. I have nightmares if I need to think I'm in business with most of the people around. Nothing against helping or starting business with family as such but when I have discussed the alternatives and ROI they have no clue so I rather leave it at that. Helps to maintain my sanity.

But to be honest, you are probably the only person I know who has ever made any money from agricultural endeavors here in LOS. Maybe there are more but only heard rumors, not verified.

Longan seems to make nice money, though. I might plant few trees myself for personal use.

A huge amount of face has been lost. This is the worst offense that can happen to a Thai. I wouldn't be sleeping well at all.

If you have a normal relationship with a Thai, just as Thais do; no, that's no loss of face. Maybe somewhat less booze to keep control, but quarreling happens everywere and everytime. Don't do it with outsiders though, that's another story. About the booze: I always by in advance, it's cheaper and doesn't seduce to more drinking (at least in my case).

Well done sticking to your guns mate. I get sick and tired of the abuse foreigners face here. To those that say don't upset Thai people, lose of face etc.... Sometimes Thai people actually respect it when you' re upfront. All this pussy footing around only leads to one thing, getting taken advantage of.

Only difference dealing with Thais would be that I would make perfectly clear what my cut would be before buying, renting or planting anything. That way they would not have one word to say. I am too careful not to get in any business dealings with Thais that require planning and long-term maintenance. I have sometimes bought something cheap when they were out of business selling furniture or similar. I have nightmares if I need to think I'm in business with most of the people around. Nothing against helping or starting business with family as such but when I have discussed the alternatives and ROI they have no clue so I rather leave it at that. Helps to maintain my sanity.

But to be honest, you are probably the only person I know who has ever made any money from agricultural endeavors here in LOS. Maybe there are more but only heard rumors, not verified.

Longan seems to make nice money, though. I might plant few trees myself for personal use.

Believe me, the rules were well laid out when we bought the land and the trees, it was a fifty fifty split after expenses, however, this only applies when the trees lose money, once there is some cash to be made, the Thais change like the wind!

Take the 70k and leave would be my advice to you sir (even if you didn't ask for it).

I wonder if they'll reinvest in the crops without you ?

No way am I leaving, there are more ways to skin the proverbial cat!

I already removed her name from all of the Chanotes and put them in my son's name, the threat of bringing in outside help on a percentage basis seems to have rattled them, I expect some more cash in the next few days.

Last night I ended up with yet another 20K, so now I am 50% of what has been paid up front, but still out of pocket for expenses.

The boy has been given 3K to spend with a promise of at least another 3K in the next few days, so we will see.

No one is going to force me off what I paid for, believe me, if it comes down to that then I can shoot them just as well as they can shoot me, except I am the only one in the house with the gun.

Besides, the missus over the years has had a million opportunities to kill me, and some deservedly so, she isn't really that way, she kills nothing.

As regards reinvesting in the crops, well they probably will, but they will just go to some loan shark and end up owing more money than they ever make.

They have zero accounting skills, they write everything down on a million pieces of paper, which they loose and can never find!

Try asking them for a phone number, do you think it is stored on the phone memory? Never, it will be tucked away in some bag with another thousand pieces exactly the same, it probably takes them a week and they might find it. Hilarious, (The older generation I mean (Like Me) -the young kids are pretty on the ball with tech stuff)

Edited by menzies233

A huge amount of face has been lost. This is the worst offense that can happen to a Thai. I wouldn't be sleeping well at all.

You worry too much, in all the years I have been here, the village I live in does not really worry so much about face as killing or hurting something, I sleep very soundly at night. They are not really that way inclined around here.......up to now!

The older Thais are extremely tolerant, more than me, it is the younger kids and the Ya Bah freaks that worry me.

I have had a few run ins with them here in the past, nothing serious, they are not a bad bunch to be honest and they never really get riled up in the same way as a foreigner. Some of my outbursts would have got me killed in the UK, here it is like water off a ducks back, they just assume I am an idiot.

Edited by menzies233

See what you can really accomplish in life if you try hard and drink lao kao.

Yes indeed, the hardship and toil and expense that Lao Kao has cost me over the past few years, at least 6 hospital stays of 3 to 4 days due to its amazing effects on the Pancreas, fantastic stuff, it makes the world so rosy until it tries to kill you.

Never understand all you girlies who say, ooohh you made em lose face time to go home.

I had several scrapes in Thailand over the years, if you are a pussy they will walk over you, if you behave like a modern western man with your womenfolk they will walk over you.

If you show em you are the king of the heap they will respect you.

The mistake westerners make in Thailand is to behave with Thais like they would a westerner. Act like a Thai, you are the man of the house, be it.