why can't foreigners own land? if Indonesia can change, cant Thailand ?

Of course they could change it , but they don't want to. Their country they get to create the rules

As to reason's, to many to count really, but few of top one's, keeps land prices down for thai's, they avoid foreigners owning huge percentage of the country (be major risk with Chinese), they would have to fix mess land title system is in first, the hiso's like it is at the moment.

Have to agree with Lashay on most points. I'll use Australia as an example. Foreigners can own land in Australia. As a result more foreigners own land in Oz than aussies and this is having a huge impact on the housing market. These foreign owners are paying over inflated prices for the land and houses and condos and inflating real estate costs through the roof just so they can outbid the aussies at auctions. Your average aussie can't compete with what the foreigners are prepared to pay. Sydney is now more expensive than London to own real estate and it is almost on par with New York. As a result of this younger couples and/or singles struggle to get a foot in the door with the current average house & land cost being AUD $1.1 million. There is also a shortage of quality rental accommodation because the foreign owners will only rent to tenants from their own country. As an example, the apartment I'm renting in BKK, fully furnished and including water and electricity, 70 sq metres costs me 15000 baht per month ( AUD $590 approx. ). The same size apartment in Sydney (unfurnished) would cost me 21675 baht ( AUD $850) PER WEEK.

As much as I would like to own a house and land in Thailand, I believe this is one economic strategy that the Thais have got right. Australia should be following their example.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ask this question about foreign land ownership only to Thailand?

Probably because few people here know or care about foreign ownership of land in neighboring countries. The short answer is that when it comes to land ownership rights, foreigners here have it better than in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, the Philippines, Hong Kong, and Indonesia (despite the OP), but not as good as in Malaysia or Singapore. For anyone interested in the subject there's a good website called something like Doing Business Thailand that I believe has a very detailed comparison.

Can Thailand change? Sure! Will they, nope. Still hanging on to centuries old pride of not being colonized, and subsequent self imposed Thai centric culture and arrogance. Multiculturalism is a sin to Thai's.

They were not colonized only because they declared neutrality in the 2nd World War. Had they not done that Japan would have been the occupying country

The rich families that control all of Thailand incl. Govt., PM etc. dont have any interest in getting competition from rich foreigners - They want it all for them self ... reason why the education system is mainly useless and the poor are kept from knowledge to whats going on in the World ...

The rich families dont care if foreigners dont Invest in Thailand since they already have plenty of Money - Personally I would never Invest 1 satang in a country that would not give me anything in return ...

Just look at the TV-programs on Thai channels ... Not exactly informative programs but only nonsens soap and ignorant gameshows ... crazy.gif

Thailand will stay like it is now (or probably go backwards) and nobody is gonna do anything about it - The World move on but Thailand will stay behind as the Asian middle age country ...

These threads always amuse me - -

Why can't I find a country where I can go and not even as a citizen change all the laws to suit me? I mean, we all should be able to do that - right? We can just call it ME WORLD.

I doubt Thai people go to Western Countries and think they should have laws there that suit them at the moment…

It would matter little to the elite powers, if a foreigner was given the right to own two rai of land and build a house. The amount invested in the land and house could count toward an investment they would allow for a longer stay visa. Easier and simpler for all parties. It would not harm Thais on any level. But, that is something that would be characterized as progress, vision and long term planning. Not a quality you see much here, especially from the government. Thailand needs to be more competitive, and needs to start thinking of ways to attract and retain prosperous foreigners. Will they? Can they?

If you are a 'prosperous foreigner' you can do almost anything you want here in Thailand.

I know several billionaires here in Thailand and I don't hear them complaining about the rules the way people on this forum do.

As a foreigner you should fall into 3 categories, tourist, working or retired.

If you are a tourist the rules are simple and don't need changing.

If you are working here then again simple rules that don't need changing.

Finally, if you are retired, simple rules, which again don't need changing.

As for Land ownership, if your family needs to own land then let your wife own the land.... if you have kids then the land can be passed from your wife to your kids.

And they could throw in a new visa as well.....You own land and a house, you can stay and renew the visa every 5 years....online.

....and WHY would they want to Simplify a complicated issue. Welcome to the Land of Take, take, take !

Only if your silly enough to give,give,give.

“Foreigners are absolutely not allowed to own an inch of land in Indonesia. It’s clear in line with the constitution,” Minister of Agrarian and Spatial Planning/Head of the State Land Board Ferry Mursyidan Baldan reportedly said to Antara.

http://indosurflife.com/2015/03/indonesia-government-to-crackdown-on-foreign-land-ownership/

Foreign ownership of property in Indonesia has recently come under increased scrutiny, with the head of the National Land Agency (BPN) and minister of Agrarian Affairs Ferry Mursyidan Baldan clamping down on the issue. The focus is on land illegally owned by foreigners throughout the archipelago, in particular on the resort islands of Bali and Lombok. Reports suggest that the BPN will soon begin to survey and inventory land ‘owned’ by foreigners in Indonesia.

At present, foreigners are able to legally secure land by way of a long-term lease. This can be under their company name using Hak Guna Bangunan (Building Rights Title) or personally using Hak Pakai (Right of Use). With the latter, the foreigner must be domiciled in Indonesia, and as such is rather limited from an investment standpoint. Outside of these two lease options, many foreigners have chosen the popular nominee method to purchase property and thus are able to ‘own’ land through an arrangement with an Indonesian citizen.

“It is absolutely not allowed for [a] foreigner to own a single inch of land in Indonesia. This is as stipulated by the National Constitution,” the minister told reporters in early March. He went on to highlight that the survey and inventorying of land ‘owned’ by foreigners must be conducted to verify that there is no land in Indonesia controlled by outsiders. Much of this stems from what Baldan views as the widespread use of Indonesian nominees to acquire land.

http://indonesiaexpat.biz/featured/foreign-property-ownership-under-the-magnifying-glass-in-indonesia/

so much for the Indonesian "change" coffee1.gif

Looks like the same deal as Thailand.

All the good land is owned by the government/upper classes.

What is left is very overpriced.

I am not very interested in buying...at all. Seems, in the end, you are just leasing a piece of land so that someone else can pawn if for some cash. If you could buy it in your name only...and verify all the documents....then it might be interesting. Problem is...it's all in somebody elses' name.

Chinese somehow get around all this....big families, big money, or in a corporation. I believe many have dual citizenship. They are monopolizing all this, I do believe.

Of course they could change it , but they don't want to. Their country they get to create the rules

As to reason's, to many to count really, but few of top one's, keeps land prices down for thai's, they avoid foreigners owning huge percentage of the country (be major risk with Chinese), they would have to fix mess land title system is in first, the hiso's like it is at the moment.

Have to agree with Lashay on most points. I'll use Australia as an example. Foreigners can own land in Australia. As a result more foreigners own land in Oz than aussies and this is having a huge impact on the housing market. These foreign owners are paying over inflated prices for the land and houses and condos and inflating real estate costs through the roof just so they can outbid the aussies at auctions. Your average aussie can't compete with what the foreigners are prepared to pay. Sydney is now more expensive than London to own real estate and it is almost on par with New York. As a result of this younger couples and/or singles struggle to get a foot in the door with the current average house & land cost being AUD $1.1 million. There is also a shortage of quality rental accommodation because the foreign owners will only rent to tenants from their own country. As an example, the apartment I'm renting in BKK, fully furnished and including water and electricity, 70 sq metres costs me 15000 baht per month ( AUD $590 approx. ). The same size apartment in Sydney (unfurnished) would cost me 21675 baht ( AUD $850) PER WEEK.

As much as I would like to own a house and land in Thailand, I believe this is one economic strategy that the Thais have got right. Australia should be following their example.

Lot of rash statements there mate,including foreigners owning more land than Ozzys!Sydney is not Australia and if you go to Adelaide or Tassie prices will be a lot cheaper,but then you have the job problem.

The rich families that control all of Thailand incl. Govt., PM etc. dont have any interest in getting competition from rich foreigners - They want it all for them self ... reason why the education system is mainly useless and the poor are kept from knowledge to whats going on in the World ...

The rich families dont care if foreigners dont Invest in Thailand since they already have plenty of Money - Personally I would never Invest 1 satang in a country that would not give me anything in return ...

Just look at the TV-programs on Thai channels ... Not exactly informative programs but only nonsens soap and ignorant gameshows ... crazy.gif

Thailand will stay like it is now (or probably go backwards) and nobody is gonna do anything about it - The World move on but Thailand will stay behind as the Asian middle age country ...

You should try PBS and PSI channel 0,plenty of docos about the outside world.Went back to Oz recently,nothing but house reno programs,cooking shows,dancing with C grade wanabe stars shows and get me a wife show,plus yank crap repeats.People actually watch these programs,so people are being dumbed down everywhere.

Lot of rash statements there mate,including foreigners owning more land than Ozzys!Sydney is not Australia and if you go to Adelaide or Tassie prices will be a lot cheaper,but then you have the job problem.

Foreign investors face crackdown on Australian property purchases

Coalition announces package of measures for foreign buyers, including new fees, lower review thresholds, increased penalties and more enforcement.

Foreign investors mostly aren’t allowed to buy existing residential real estate but, subject to approval, can buy new residential property on the basis that this drives demand for housing stock.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/03/foreign-investors-face-crackdown-on-australian-property-purchases

It's a small country who's people are insecure and xenophobic. The folks with money want to avoid a level playing field with foreigners. That is why you have so many protected industries and professions. Keeping foreigners out of land speculation works best for those with money. They will tell you the law is in place for sovereignty protection. It's clear that is nonsense. Large and small countries all over the world allow foreigners to buy land and have no issues. Again, it's all about the money and protecting prices for the benefit of the rich.

It would matter little to the elite powers, if a foreigner was given the right to own two rai of land and build a house. The amount invested in the land and house could count toward an investment they would allow for a longer stay visa. Easier and simpler for all parties. It would not harm Thais on any level. But, that is something that would be characterized as progress, vision and long term planning. Not a quality you see much here, especially from the government. Thailand needs to be more competitive, and needs to start thinking of ways to attract and retain prosperous foreigners. Will they? Can they?

If you are a 'prosperous foreigner' you can do almost anything you want here in Thailand.

I know several billionaires here in Thailand and I don't hear them complaining about the rules the way people on this forum do.

As a foreigner you should fall into 3 categories, tourist, working or retired.

If you are a tourist the rules are simple and don't need changing.

If you are working here then again simple rules that don't need changing.

Finally, if you are retired, simple rules, which again don't need changing.

As for Land ownership, if your family needs to own land then let your wife own the land.... if you have kids then the land can be passed from your wife to your kids.

The government is grateful for your defense. I was referring to progress. Improvement. Keeping up with the neighbors and such.

thank you. understand but doesnt seem fair. maybe other countries could stop thais from owning land in their countries.

Two could play at that game and you could find Thailand tightening visa laws to make them reciprocal with those countries.

It's not fair at all (and open to abuse, especially in case of thai/farang marriage),

Ahhhh the Thai/Farang marriage. There is nothing stopping a farang importing his money to this country and then transferring it over to dear loving wife and she can buy all the land she wants in her name and you can both live happily ever after. Or is it that the farang doesn't trust his wife?gigglem.gif

Australia was as smart as Thailand concerning saling of land. Our government is allowing our best food producing land to be sold to other nations. No long term gain for Australian people, good on the ThThai's for not allowing foreign ownership.

Wish Australia was as smart as Thailand concerning saling of land. Our government is allowing our best food producing land to be sold to other nations. No long term gain for Australian people, good on the Thai's for not allowing foreign ownership.

I wish Australia had the same rules.

Now and before all the best and prime land and farms are being bought out by overseas interests. The Chinese now are buying the best farmlands bidding beyond the fair price to exclude local purchasers. Locals cannot compete. Overseas owned farms with overseas workers. That's what Australia is facing. Is it 200 million or collectively one billion dollars of land purchases before it come under Government scrutiny ? So as long as each transaction is under 200 million dollars it doesn't have to be scrutinised. Prime farm after prime farm is being sold off 3 million or 5 million - no problem for overseas investors Each Government has blood on it's hands for the sell off of Australia's prime farms & real estate. Australia's long term future of controlling it's own landholdings and destiny is fked.

In the future forget export markets as Chinese interests will own the best farms and mines and export their goods back to China. Nothing in it for Oz workers or Government.

As the rich Chinese drive around in their cars and buy properties by the handful. Successive Australian Governments of both persuasions are oblivious to what happening - or just don't care enough. Poor old Bill Heffernan is a lone voice fighting against this but alas too little and way too late.

Again - I wish Australia had the same rules on who owns their own country.

This policy of not allowing Foreigners to own land cost me my life savings, but That is a long and ugly story. They are wise to do this! I wish my country, Canada would do the same thing. We sell to anyone from anywhere, even if they have never been to Canada and will never go there. Our forefathers fought and died in wars to preserve or peace and freedom and we are selling it to the highest bidder!

I can not afford to live in my own country any more, because of how welcoming Canada is to foreigners

Good on the Thais, cant see why they should open it up and if ya dumb enough to buy in Indonesia you deserve all that you will get.

As others posted wish we had the same sort of rules in OZ, with overseas snapping up land and 180000 being brought into the country each year land and housing gets further out of te reach of many.