How to get best Baht to GBP rate?

I know the baht is down at the moment so his may seem like a bad time to be doing this but Im going to the UK this week and need to change some money to UK pounds, is it better to do this at Swampy or when I get to the UK? Im guessing its the former...

Also is there any difference in rates before or after Ive passed through passport control?

If anyone knows anywhere else I can get a good exchange rate please let me know thanks

Dammit I didnt know that, always wondered why I get so little back each time!

Thing is Im miles away from the centre of Bkk, I live right next to the airport actually so is there anywhere around Bangna or something?

Also I just looked at the Superrich website and it seems pretty much most of them will only buy foreign money?

What about banks in general say at Mega or Central? Do they have currencies and do xe?

If you don't want to go to Superrich or VASU then a bank is probably your next best bet.

Superrich and/or VASU changes money both ways. If you look at their website, under the "buying" column for GBP, for example, you'll see the rate in Thai baht for which Superrich will buy your GBP (54.60 when I checked just now.) So Superrich will give you 54.60 Thai baht for one GBP.

Conversely, under the "selling" column is the number of Thai baht you would pay Superrich if you want them to sell you one GBP (54.75 when I checked.) So for every 54.75 Thai baht you give to Superrich, they will sell you one GBP.

The difference between the buy and sell rates is commonly referred to as the "spread".

This explanation from TA:

"At Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, there are exchange booths right in the Customs Hall (after clearing Passport Control, in the baggage claim area) as well as in the general arrivals area. ATMs are also readily available in the airport.

Thai Military Bank (TMB) are largely represented at the Airport. Their advertised rates of exchange are notoriously lower (3-4% less) than ALL others, irrespective of their location (airport, city, country -- they offer the same low rate everywhere).

Unfortunately the only other major airport exchange operator, Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), now seems to have pegged its rates at the airport on TMB's rates, even though its rates at non-airport locations remain considerably higher. This means that ALMOST ALL exchange booths at the airport are now offering IDENTICAL rates, LOWER than the norm elsewhere in Thailand.

There seems to be only one exception: Kasikorn Bank's sole outlet on the Airport Rail Link Level (two levels below Arrivals). Since it's officially on ARL property, not in the airport proper, K-Bank's booth is able to offer exchange rates consistent with its rates outside the airport. For major currencies, that could mean 1.20 or more baht per dollar, pound or euro. On trades of 1000 units or more, that could add up to a significant amount".

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand:Banks.And.Money.html

Edited by chiang mai

Thanks, I see theres a super rich at the swampy airport link which buys and sells so will try there

Just a FYI there are 2 different Super rich company's, the one at the airport is from "orange super rich" or super rich 1965 http://www.superrich1965.com

The other "green super rich" or Superrich Thailand http://superrichthai.com/exchange

Rajdamri

45 Soi Rajdamri 1, Rajdamri, Patumwan

Bangkok, 10330, Thailand

Monday - Friday

9:00 - 18:00

Saturday and Public Holidays

9:30 - 16:30

Orange super rich has several locations they say that they have different exchange rates at each location and is usually very close to Vassu, Green Superrich has only one and in my experience is always better, or at least the same as the best "orange" rate.

However AFIK any Superrich has a better rate than any bank.

Airport Rail Link Suvarnabhumi Station (Buy & Sell)

Address :Booth No. SVB RC29. Bangna-Trad Rd., Rachathewa Sub_Dist, Bangplee Dist, Samut Prakarn.

We are on Basement, near ARL Express Line.

Open : Daily : Monday - Sunday

09.30 am - 8.00 pm.

Please look at this link to super rich locations.

They are close to where you are, and easy to get to via BTS:

Bad luck on having to do the exchange ... have a safe journey.

http://www.superrich1965.com/location.php

But please note on the list that only some sell you GBPs. The branches on the BTS stations only buy GBPs not sell. At the airport they sell GBPs although the exchange rate is less by B0.40 per GBP bought. So GBP 1,000 would cost you B400 more than going to the Head office Rajadamri or Silom Branch.

Edited by Estrada

1 more thing that I didn't see mentioned - buy the smallest notes you can here with your baht as they are cheaper than the large notes. Then change everything into the largest notes you can in the UK before coming back and you'll get a higher rate of exchange upon your return. Did this last year when going to the states. Bought all $20s here and paid less than the $50s or $100s. Went to the nearest bank in the states and traded straight across for $100s to reduce the bulk. :) I made about 5,000 baht.

Never, ever, ever change money at an airport unless you are desperate.

Worst rates ever.

The exchange rate offered between Nz banks and Bangkok bank is 2 BHT less than BK Bank,the banks will rob you blind I always change money here where you can barter in your favour, airports are sometimes/ usualy worse than banks as well.

ATM's give the TT rate which is better than going to any currency exchange. Although check what the exchange rate is for each bank. You can Google that ìnfo.

Yes though it depends upon which bank(s) one is using.

High ATM fees can reduce the effective rate of exchange, particularly if one is charged for using Bank A's ATM while simultaneously being charged a fee by Bank B who issued the ATM card itself.

If you have the time find someone on Facebook or wherever and offer to buy GBP or USD for even exchange as per the daily rate No fees involved. If you have PayPal fund there account, done it many times if works well meet the person face to face.