Tesco Lotus announces major price-cutting campaign

webfact

Tesco Lotus announces major price-cutting campaign
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- TESCO LOTUS says it has launched its biggest price-cutting campaign in 20 years.

The hypermarket chain said it was spending Bt3 billion to lower prices, focusing on mother-and-baby products with cuts of up to 20 per cent on more than 870 product lines. It will also lower fresh-food prices to wholesale levels - a cut of 15 per cent.

It says the campaign will help customers reduce their cost of living in a tight economy.

"Tesco Lotus has been consistently committed to reducing the costs of essential items for the past 20 years. As Thailand's retail leader, we are well aware of the rising cost of living of the general public, and this year we have invested more than Bt3 billion to help our customers save money," said chief commercial officer Sompong Rungnirattisai.

"We started with adjusting mother-and-baby products to be 10-20 per cent cheaper in an unprecedented price campaign with a budget of Bt300 million. More than 870 mother-and-baby product lines have been discounted, including diapers, formula and UHT milk.

"On top of this, Tesco Lotus has invested Bt600 million on reducing fresh-food prices to wholesale price, after the success of our Wholesale Price campaign on 150 fresh-food lines. The new campaign covers all key fresh-food lines in the department, such as farm produce, meat, eggs and seafood, offering discounts of up to 15 percent to help customers save on their spending on foods.

"Also, Tesco Lotus will continue its usual weekend promotions, discounts, and coupon campaigns with a plan to invest more than Bt2 billion. Tesco Lotus has a price-checking team to ensure that customers are confident that prices are the lowest when they shop at our stores.

Besides investing in price-cuts, Tesco Lotus says it is continuing its campaign to help Thai growers in difficulty, such as buying longan from growers in the three southern provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, and vegetables from farmers who are part of the Kamlang Jai project of the Princess Pa Foundation. The campaign will help farmers sell more of their produce as well as bringing quality fresh produce to consumers at good prices, the company says.

Tesco Lotus says it has strict produce-safety standards, ensuring fruit and vegetables sold at its stores are completely free of chemical residues. Strict traceability inspection regimes give confidence in safety and quality. Tesco Lotus is the first retailer in Thailand to develop QR (quick reference) code labelling for fresh food products, which enables consumers to trace their origins with a simple scan of their smartphones.

"We are confident that Tesco Lotus' continuing price investment will help reduce the cost-of-living burdens of our customers when many sectors are facing reduced incomes and high levels of debt. Many people can benefit from this historic price reduction through the Tesco Lotus network of almost 1,800 stores in 73 provinces across Thailand," Sompong said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Tesco-Lotus-announces-major-price-cutting-campaign-30265841.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-04

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tesco could be much cheaper if they didn't have far too much personell who do nothing all day.

And why do they need so much personell to sell hotdogs? Just pack and price them.

But i really don't like the big tesco's where they have very loud announcements all the time.

Ummmmmm.............so generous!!!!! They spend billions so people can eat.

I have been a good customer for about 20 years since Tesco opened

20 years a go in Rangsit. For the past couple of years I got disappointed

on so many occasions, the fresh produce look good on the outside but\

are rotten on the inside. AWFUL. I work for a living and the thing I dislike

the most is having to buy food meant to be good and throw it away sad.png

I would suggest the Tesco Big bosses to check often on Tesco Klong 4

Rangsit Tanya, there are big bugs running happily on fresh produces,

especially under red potatoes display. Also, please do something

about the quality control in klong 4 opposite moo Baan Burirom.

The quality of the very limited choice of fresh products is lousy.

We are not a third class citizens out here you know?

Our money are good!!!

Edited by doremifasol

Love the place, free napkins all day long no need to buy bogroll anymore.

Just prowl and collect napkins near the hotdog stand, few baht in the back pocket.

Thats on top of what I pull out on the toilet dispensers and stuff in my bag.

Thats how I adjust my cost of living in a tight economy.

Got to think like a Thai these days to survive here.

In reality they will spend nothing to lower prices,they will

use the same tactics they use in the UK,screw the suppliers,

force them to lower their profits,

In my opinion,Tesco is usually more expensive than Big C,

so they need to lower prices.

regards Worgeordie

I wish they would invest in expanding their small range of farang foods ! wink.png

And can't they come up with an alternative to bl**dy banana-cake, I hate the stuff, and can't believe that there aren't alternatives, it just gets so very boring, they (and most other Thai supermarket-chains) have no 'Wow Factor' ! facepalm.gif

Tesco has the worst quality so called fresh food of all the supermarkets. I drive past ours close to Pattaya Tai for Big C every time without hesitation. They're over staffed and their displays are very off putting. Anyone with experience in food sales can see this and they have certainly lost the quality market in Pattaya for many years.

Tesco boring bloody Tesco........staff screaming down megaphones.......sullen unfriendly checkout operators...rotten vegetable/fruit produce (on the inside)....salad bar closing at 4pm...just when you arrive to pick up some salad for dinner......Tesco Radio...OMG...somebody please turn it off...!!!....I could go on........

I hate the place but in my area it is the only choice...unless I want to travel 5km's

Ummmmmm.............so generous!!!!! They spend billions so people can eat.

I have been a good customer for about 20 years since Tesco opened

20 years a go in Rangsit. For the past couple of years I got disappointed

on so many occasions, the fresh produce look good on the outside but\

are rotten on the inside. AWFUL. I work for a living and the thing I dislike

the most is having to buy food meant to be good and throw it away sad.png

I would suggest the Tesco Big bosses to check often on Tesco Klong 4

Rangsit Tanya, there are big bugs running happily on fresh produces,

especially under red potatoes display. Also, please do something

about the quality control in klong 4 opposite moo Baan Burirom.

The quality of the very limited choice of fresh products is lousy.

We are not a third class citizens out here you know?

Our money are good!!!

If you've lived in Thailand 20 years and can't find fresh fruit and vegetables then God help you.

From leaving school I was a butcher for 12 years, Tesco chicken good -----fish good------PORK---NO GOOD This is sow meat, have you seen the size of the belly pork, it is old sow meat years old because of it's size. In the UK this pork is used only for manufacturing pork pies--sausage-by products. Tesco please use the young pigs UK standard because it is tender when cooked---this sow meat is tough as old boots unless it is boiled for ages.

One more thing to add, compare your pork to TOPS they display their meat the same style as UK. Tesco stop piling old sow meat hacked to death and shoveled onto large trays, it looks dreadful. The colour of the pork should not be red but light in colour. red pork is OLD pork.

The first time i saw that there were Tesco outlets here I thought that i would be able to buy a lot of Tesco products that i used to get back home in England. What a great disappointment to find out how wrong I was.

Here in Pattaya I very seldom go into Tesco for food nowadays. They have a lot of check out tills with few of them open, creating queues that make people wait for probably as long as they have been in the stores actually shopping.

My Thai wife and i do some 90% of our shopping in Foodland. Always good quality fresh produce, friendly staff and keen prices with many items on promotion (buy 1 get 1 free, or buy 2 get 1 free), and never have to wait long at the check out area. Foodland may not have clothing or electrical departments, but if I want those sort of things there are plenty of places to go to.

On the subject of clothing, does Tesco not know that a lot of its shoppers are Western foreigners, many of whom are, like me, looking for XL plus sizes? It is very rare that I have ever found items to fit me. So yet another reason not to shop there.

From leaving school I was a butcher for 12 years, Tesco chicken good -----fish good------PORK---NO GOOD This is sow meat, have you seen the size of the belly pork, it is old sow meat years old because of it's size. In the UK this pork is used only for manufacturing pork pies--sausage-by products. Tesco please use the young pigs UK standard because it is tender when cooked---this sow meat is tough as old boots unless it is boiled for ages.

One more thing to add, compare your pork to TOPS they display their meat the same style as UK. Tesco stop piling old sow meat hacked to death and shoveled onto large trays, it looks dreadful. The colour of the pork should not be red but light in colour. red pork is OLD pork.

I appreciate your informative post. I have often wondered why much of the pork I see is so dark I have to read the label to make sure it is not beef. I don't eat very much meat myself, but buy it for the Thai gf. I do occasionally eat beef but I don't recall seeing fresh beef at Tesco.

Look around at the people in a typical TESCO/LOTUS store. You don't see many foreigners. We are not the "target market". We are at FOODLAND.

TESCO is reducing the price of fresh food; meats, fish, produce to compete with local markets and MAKRO. Don't believe that big corporations are altruistic.

Supermarket pork is generally not great. I was in Khon Kaen recently and the pork was to die for. Fresh and pink and tender. the laab muu....wow factor x 10. And the pork at the street markets was still oinking it was so fresh. I am thinking of moving just for the food...BKK cannot compare to what I found up there.

Love the place, free napkins all day long no need to buy bogroll anymore.

Just prowl and collect napkins near the hotdog stand, few baht in the back pocket.

Thats on top of what I pull out on the toilet dispensers and stuff in my bag.

Thats how I adjust my cost of living in a tight economy.

Got to think like a Thai these days to survive here.

I save even more by not making a trip to Lotus at all. I just let my dog lick my ass clean. He gets to all the places the tissue can't get to.

T

I appreciate your informative post. I have often wondered why much of the pork I see is so dark I have to read the label to make sure it is not beef. I don't eat very much meat myself, but buy it for the Thai gf. I do occasionally eat beef but I don't recall seeing fresh beef at Tesco.

The only beef that I would call beef is at TOPS but at a price--Aberdeen Angus sirloin steaks fillet steak. presented well. imported.

Thai beef is the same as the pork fed and worked to large size --ended it's working/breeding life --sold wobbly jelly chunks not recognisable-blood everywhere PEWK. what astounds me is the price 3 UK pound for 1 kilo-----robbery for end of life animal. In the uk--you buy for dog meat.

As stated, little produce is fresh, some like sweet potatoe is always rotten on the inside. No choice in potatoe types and often no potatoes at all. Very limited vegetable choices and those available already going off. produce keeps having the location in the store changed so making it very confusing and hard to find. Almost no beef and the little there is over 1000baht a kg. No Lamb. If I want good beef, lamb, pork I shop at Villa but is more expensive. Too few checkouts staffed but many staff wandering around who know little. This is at TL adjacent to On Nhut BTS. It is obviously very poorly managed.

Standard procedure in the UK : cut the prices of essentials then load it onto everything else they buy while they are in there.

Some things in Tesco are ridiculously expensive. A single blade fuse for a car is 59 baht. Even in rip-off Halfords in the UK, they are only 25 baht.