How to Open TBH Account with Non-O Visa

It seems to go back to, "it is up to the discretion of the individual branch." Just like everything else, there may be rules but they are looked upon as guidelines and any bank manager may do as they please.

I have had to suspend my search as my fiancé had to go back to work and most branches close at 3:30 and I do not yet speak Thai (begin classes on Monday). It seems they will allow me to open an account once we are married and on her family's tabian ban. After that I can deposit my money and get a visa extension based on marriage.

It is not up to the discretion of the Manager. The requirements are clearly printed on their websites.

Your first mistake is taking a Thai with you to open an account.

Second mistake is probably not knowing what type of account you want.

The account needs to be in your sole name for Immigration purposes.

If nobody in your branch speaks English they have a telephone and you can speak to someone at their Head Office.

Opening a basic account has nothing to do with being married, having a WP or holding an Extension.

They can be opened on a Visa exempt with Passport and Proof of Address.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will get the apartment complex to give me a letter stating I reside there (I hope), then I will try again with that and my passport. I will try some of the banks around Asoke BTS since that is where I will be starting Monday. I will update with my progress.

Before you open an account bear in mind that any changes to the account ( new passport number, telephone number, closing account, etc.) must be done at the branch you open the account with. This can be rather inconvenient if it is far from your home or work. I suggest you also bring some type of bill with your address on it as supporting evidence for address.

I will get the apartment complex to give me a letter stating I reside there (I hope), then I will try again with that and my passport. I will try some of the banks around Asoke BTS since that is where I will be starting Monday. I will update with my progress.

So you have a landlord/lady.

A copy of their ID card and Tabian Ban is proof of address (signed copies).

I'm guessing you also have a Rental Agreement with address.

All you need to start off is a Savings Account with Debit Card.

You can make International deposits to this account, and the debit card allows you to make ATM withdrawals and pay for bills, shopping etc.

Before you open an account bear in mind that any changes to the account ( new passport number, telephone number, closing account, etc.) must be done at the branch you open the account with. This can be rather inconvenient if it is far from your home or work. I suggest you also bring some type of bill with your address on it as supporting evidence for address.

The Thais don't make anything easy do they; but then they are still using the antiquated passbook system here. As for a bill with the address, my name is not on any of the bills so I am not sure that will prove anything. As I said in my initial post, I have been here less than two weeks. Do you think a bill with my fiancé's name and the address along with a letter from the apartment complex confirming that I live at that address will be acceptable? If not I will have to wait until we get married and her tabian ban is updated to include me. We are doing what we need to get married either sometime this month or very early in September.

Also, can anyone tell me if I must have my money in a Thai bank account for 2 months for the initial visa extension based upon marriage or do I merely have to show I have the funds? If it is the former rather than the later then one way or another I must have an account opened before August 20 as the use before date on my visa is October 20.

Edited by MeanUncleBuck

The Thais don't make anything easy do they; but then they are still using the antiquated passbook system here. As for a bill with the address, my name is not on any of the bills so I am not sure that will prove anything. As I said in my initial post, I have been here less than two weeks. Do you think a bill with my fiancé's name and the address along with a letter from the apartment complex confirming that I live at that address will be acceptable? If not I will have to wait until we get married and her tabian ban is updated to include me. We are doing what we need to get married either sometime this month or very early in September.

Also, can anyone tell me if I must have my money in a Thai bank account for 2 months for the initial visa extension based upon marriage or do I merely have to show I have the funds? If it is the former rather than the later then one way or another I must have an account opened before August 20 as the use before date on my visa is October 20.

I suppose your home Country make it easy for foreigners to reside there then?

Your not listening!

You rent an apartment, that apartment has an owner. Get a copy of their ID card and Tabian Ban as proof of your address and you should also have rental agreement.

In theory when you rented that apartment you should have completed a TM28 (change of address) and submitted that to your local Immigration office. Your landlord should also have completed a TM28 (alien taking up residence) and submitted that to Immigration, but my guess is you are oblivious to any requirements to live in Thailand.

What worries me is that you state your Visa has a 'must use before date', which suggests your on a double entry Tourist Visa?

Firstly, you can only get an 'extension of stay' based on marriage or retirement by being on a Non Imm O Visa.

Secondly you will be working illegally without a Work Permit.

I think you need to do some research and open some specific topics on TV to get some answers, otherwise your going to find yourself in the shit. Your the foreigner in their Country. Sorry if my post appears condescending, it's not meant to be, but I am worried about your naivety regards living and working in Thailand.

Your Thai g/f won't be able to help you, regardless of how nice and helpful she may be. She is a Thai citizen and has different rules to you or I.

Edited by Faz

Additional information:

My fiancée talked to Kasikorn again (the first time she did not emphasize that it should be a TBH account) and she was given another number to call. The person that she talked to at the new number said that bank requirements are that one must have a WP to obtain an account; however, it is up to the individual branch's discretion as to whether or not they follow those rules. She suggested that we visit different branches until we find one that will allow us to open and account. I have only been in Thailand one week and already I am understanding all that I have read for these many months about how things work here.

I posted over a year ago that BOT had changed the rules over visa status but everyone ridiculed the post.

This is what I was given by the bank in May last year. My multi Non O based on marriage was considered acceptable.

1. For Customer with Work Permit, please bring these items:

A) Your passport. (Branch staff will take care of making copies of certain page such as Visa page and immigration stamp page).

A copy of your Work Permit

2. For Customer with no Work Permit but possessing a visa for long-term stay:

You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

3. For Customer who is currently enrolled in academic institute and has no Work Permit.

A) Your passport.

A letter from your academic institute to certify your status as a student.

C) A copy of your student ID card.

I really don't know what type of account your trying to open, or ask for?

I wasn't trying to open an account, I had had the account for about 12 years. The bank got in touch with me to say that my visa status was inconsistent with the new regulations and that if I did not visit the branch and show evidence of a long term visa I would lose the online banking facility.

You should be well aware that this is Thailand and each entity will interpret the rules to suit themselves. Just because one branch does things in a certain manner does not make it right.

The information I posted came in an email from the bank headquarters in Bangkok.

I suppose your home Country make it easy for foreigners to reside there then?

Your not listening!

You rent an apartment, that apartment has an owner. Get a copy of their ID card and Tabian Ban as proof of your address and you should also have rental agreement.

In theory when you rented that apartment you should have completed a TM28 (change of address) and submitted that to your local Immigration office. Your landlord should also have completed a TM28 (alien taking up residence) and submitted that to Immigration, but my guess is you are oblivious to any requirements to live in Thailand.

What worries me is that you state your Visa has a 'must use before date', which suggests your on a double entry Tourist Visa?

Firstly, you can only get an 'extension of stay' based on marriage or retirement by being on a Non Imm O Visa.

Secondly you will be working illegally without a Work Permit.

I think you need to do some research and open some specific topics on TV to get some answers, otherwise your going to find yourself in the shit. Your the foreigner in their Country. Sorry if my post appears condescending, it's not meant to be, but I am worried about your naivety regards living and working in Thailand.

Your Thai g/f won't be able to help you, regardless of how nice and helpful she may be. She is a Thai citizen and has different rules to you or I.

Condescending or not, I will take your reply at face value and accept it at that. As a matter of fact my home country does make it easy to reside there as a foreigner. Once you are accepted you receive a green card and it is good for two years. You do not have to report anywhere or do anything except follow the laws of the US and you are fine; after two years renew the green card and life goes on.

The most important thing you said in your above post is "in theory." My fiancé (a bit different from a gf,) moved into this apartment about a month before I moved here; I am not on the rental agreement. When I arrived the people in the apartment office didn't want anything from me. My fiancé had to go get someone from the office to program the door with my fingerprints so I can enter the building and I told her that I thought I should go with her so they could copy my passport and have me fill out any required paperwork since I am a foreigner. She told me to wait because it wasn't necessary and she came back with someone from the office who didn't ask me for any ID, did not ask me to fill out any documents, she merely programed me into system to open the doors.

As for my visa, I am sorry but I made a mistake that opened up the door for criticism on that too. I mistakenly said there is a use before data when in fact it is an enter by date. My visa is a single entry Non Imm-O. Now on that I may be confused and I will reread much of what I have read in the past about when the visa is good until. I also know that I must have WP in order to work in this country, I am not an idiot. When I have gone through sufficient Thai lessons that I think I can pursue a job I will do so and obtain said WP.

As for the apartment not having me fill out a TM28, I will go to the office and ask them for the form and fill it out, after which I will ask for copies of their Tabian Ban and ID to take to the bank.

Buck, not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, ........I'm actually trying to help you.

Ask your Fiance to get a copy of the owners Tabian Ban and ID card. You'll need copies of these not only to open a Bank account but also for Immigration later as proof of address.

Nobody will give you forms to complete. Most Thais are oblivious to Immigration laws and rules, especially if renting privately.

You need to download the forms yourself and complete them.

It's important that you report your address to your local Immigration office now, as that's where you will apply for an extension later.

Download Forms: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

TM28 Notification of address

TM30 Notification of Alien at address.

TM7 Extension of Stay.

I've also attached the Immigration Act. Please read Chapter 4, Sections 37 and 38 especially to understand the requirements for address reporting.

Your Non Imm O Visa is valid for 90 days from the date of entry.

Check your entry stamp and count that as day one.

You can apply for an extension up to 30 days before your Visa expires provided you meet the financial requirements.

The requirements can be found in Police Orders 327/2557 (attached)

Section 2.18 Marriage.

In the case of Marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than 40,000 baht per month, or must have no less than 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand for the last 2 months.

Hope the information assists you.

Thai Immigration_Act_EN.pdf

Police Order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en - immigration.pdf

Thanks Faz, I really do appreciate your help. I will get the immigration forms filled out and take them to the immigration office in Samut Prakan this week. I will also carefully read everything you linked (much of this information does not stick when you read it while you are not yet living here) and attempt to become an expert at all things immigration that pertain to me. You have answered all my questions (indeed it is easier when I give correct and proper information) and I believe I have all I will need to open my bank account. Thanks again for your patience and help.

MeanUncleBuck

(but you can call me David)

Additional information:

My fiancée talked to Kasikorn again (the first time she did not emphasize that it should be a TBH account) and she was given another number to call. The person that she talked to at the new number said that bank requirements are that one must have a WP to obtain an account; however, it is up to the individual branch's discretion as to whether or not they follow those rules. She suggested that we visit different branches until we find one that will allow us to open and account. I have only been in Thailand one week and already I am understanding all that I have read for these many months about how things work here.

I posted over a year ago that BOT had changed the rules over visa status but everyone ridiculed the post.

This is what I was given by the bank in May last year. My multi Non O based on marriage was considered acceptable.

A) Your passport. (Branch staff will take care of making copies of certain page such as Visa page and immigration stamp page).

You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

3. For Customer who is currently enrolled in academic institute and has no Work Permit.

A) Your passport.

I wasn't trying to open an account, I had had the account for about 12 years. The bank got in touch with me to say that my visa status was inconsistent with the new regulations and that if I did not visit the branch and show evidence of a long term visa I would lose the online banking facility.

You should be well aware that this is Thailand and each entity will interpret the rules to suit themselves. Just because one branch does things in a certain manner does not make it right.

The information I posted came in an email from the bank headquarters in Bangkok.

A long term Visa is any Non Imm O type as far as BKK are concerned.

Did you temporarily use a Tourist or Visa Exempt Visa, which doesn't qualify for online banking?

A) Your passport.

The management of TMB state

Did you temporarily use a Tourist or Visa Exempt Visa, which doesn't qualify for online banking?

Account opened at Thai Military Bank in Pattaya in 1999 on visa exempt and complete with online banking. In 2014 they say that long term visa required to retain online banking.

You really should refrain from making speculative assumptions.

Account opened at Thai Military Bank in Pattaya in 1999 on visa exempt and complete with online banking. In 2014 they say that long term visa required to retain online banking.

Sorry Sandy, to which point exactly am I making a speculative assumptions?

I'm going off facts and information provided by Bangkok Bank.

Edited by Faz

When I took my passport in for checking I saw the bank manager and she explained what had transpired.

We all know that bank managers have no credibility and that people like yourself are much more conversant with the banking system than any bank employee.

No doubt you will continue to tell people that the banks have got it wrong when account applications are declined.

When I took my passport in for checking I saw the bank manager and she explained what had transpired.

We all know that bank managers have no credibility and that people like yourself are much more conversant with the banking system than any bank employee.

No doubt you will continue to tell people that the banks have got it wrong when account applications are declined.

If you read all posts, then you'd know that I suggested one of the reasons accounts are declined, is because the foreigner requests the wrong type of account.

As your from the UK you'll be well aware that most accounts are known as 'current accounts' and that is the type of account they may request, which unfortunately unless your Thai or hold certain documents, will be refused to most foreigners.

A 'Savings account' is available to any foreigner merely on production of Passport and proof of address, so new expats, tourists can transfer funds and get a debit card to start of their retirement in Thailand.

My original reply was to Mean Uncle Buck re Bangkok Bank, before you gate-crashed and started waffling on about the Military Bank.

<deleted> has that got to do with Bangkok Banks regulations!

The topic was how to open an account.

The topic was how to open an account.

From the OP.

" I am attempting to open a TBH bank account; however, bank after bank tells me that they cannot open an account with this type of visa."

You are perfectly free to believe that the BOT has not imposed restrictions on accounts for foreigners.

The US changed worldwide requirements this year, and now demand that the Thai banks report any earning from monies of Americans in Thai banks. The Thai banks have wisely decided that they do not wan to deal with this requirement, and started refusing new accounts for Americans. Blame the US Government for this action. I am certainly not laundering money in Thailand. Few would.

Thai banks are in agreement to new reporting requirements and have indicated so. They are not refusing new accounts to Americans - opening accounts for any foreigner has always been 'if at first you don't succeed try, try again' and that still works.

Yes. ..what lopburi3 said.

As a U.S. citizen and since FATCA went into affect 1 Jul 14 I've opened two new saving accounts with ibanking at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank. I'm on a Retirement Visa/Extension of Stay.

Yes there were two FATCA related forms to complete at each bank...one where you certify whether you are a U.S. citizen or not (asked of all foreigners now) and a W9 form to enter my social security number. Easy...just took a couple of minutes.

All Thai banks have agreed to FATCA by agreements they signed with the U.S. govt over a year ago.

Funny how some uniformed folks keep saying Thai banks no longer open accounts for Americans. So untrue.

Now does this mean any branch will open an account for an American? No, because some branches apparently try to avoid opening accounts for foreigners "of any nationality." Always been that way in Thailand....still is that way. Just keep trying branches and/or give them the docs they want even if it means a trip to the embassy. Some branches can be a pain...some branches are just not farang-friendly to new accounts.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The less than enthusiasitc woman that works in the office of my apartment complex finally, after continual asking by my fiancé, got a copy of the owner's ID card and tabian baan to me this past Thursday. On Friday I went to the nearest mall which contains the following banks: Kasikorn, Siam Commercial, Krungthai, Thanachart and BoB. I did not bother with BoB because the require a certified letter from the US Embassy confirming I am a US citizen. I checked with the embassy a week ago for a notary appointment since the ID and tabian baan were taking so long to get to us but there were no appointments until September.

I dressed as if heading to a business meeting and headed to the mall. First stop was Kasikorn Bank because Faz was certain that I could get an account there with the documentation I was bringing. I printed out in both English and Thai the requirements for an individual to open an account from their website and brought them along with the copies of the owner's tabian baan and ID card. The people in the bank seemed to want to help me but after looking at my passport their next question was, "where is your work permit?" The insisted that I had to have a WP or they could not open an account but no one there spoke English well so they made a phone call to get someone who could speak English. Regardless of how politely I explained that I had all the documents required by them on their website and that I had lots of money that I wanted to deposit into their account the guy kept saying the only way to open and account was with a WP. I explained, again very politely, that that was not the only way to open an account, it was the easy way and maybe he could put someone else on the phone that understood other ways to open accounts. This went on for 10 minutes all together and I walked out of the branch without an account.

Next I went to Siam Commercial Bank. They do not list any requirements for opening an account on their website so I went in without documentary backup. When I entered a woman came up to me and asked how she could help me and I told her I wanted to open a savings account. She asked me for my passport which she carried to a woman in the back. After they talked for a few seconds she came back to me and asked for (drumroll...) my WP. Of course I told her I don't have one and she went back to the woman with that information. By then I had walked to the back of the bank where there were 4 desks with women assisting customers. The woman she had been talking to spoke English and told me from across the room, I had to have a WP to open an account. I politely told her that no, that was not true but that was the easy way, without a WP was more work so most people don't like to open accounts for those people. Mind you, she never bothered to come over to me, she spoke from as far away from me as she could, talking loud enough for everyone in the bank to hear (although few could understand) but she insisted that no, without WP no bank could open an account for me. Apparently all the workers at the desks speak English because the all smiled and shook their heads affirming what their boss told me. All I can say about this woman is that she was bitchy from the get-go while I maintained my cool and smiled while I told her that I would get an account with some bank and when I did I was going to come back and wave their passbook in her face (sorry, she just pissed me off with her unprofessionalism).

I then went to Thanachart Bank but it was basically rinse and repeat what happened at Kasikorn, down to the person on the phone to tell me that without a WP I could not get an account. I then went to Krungthai Bank with documentation from their website that stated, among other things such as a WP, that a passport and a visa with at least a three month validity was required. I walked up to the desk and told the young lady there that I wanted to open a savings account, she told me to sit down and she started the paperwork. She had to get some help from a co-worker that spoke better English to help her and it seemed to be something they either never or seldom had done but after about 45 minutes I had a Krungthai Bank savings account with my passbook and debit card. I had to fill out some paperwork stating I was US citizen and a W9 form but all that aside, I have my bank account and as of this afternoon I have my 400,000 THB in the account.

My entry date into Thailand was July 29 and I got my money in the bank on August 29 so that should meet the 2 month requirement for getting an extension based on marriage, right?

Edited by MeanUncleBuck

What a drama, better to simply visit as many branches of as many banks as possible until success, as oh so many previous threads over so many years have instructed.

Hmm, there must be something wrong with my keyboard, I thought my "drama" basically described me doing just that. Or better yet maybe all future bank account seekers should just go to Krungthai Bank since they are willing to do the extra work required to open an account without a WP and they say so on their website.

It is not so much the bank - it is the branch manager. You could go to another branch and get or not get account with any of the banks - it is a local decision in the end as it is that manager who is going to be held accountable. And if possible go with a Thai who can provide reference of where you stay.

What a drama, better to simply visit as many branches of as many banks as possible until success, as oh so many previous threads over so many years have instructed.

Hmm, there must be something wrong with my keyboard, I thought my "drama" basically described me doing just that. Or better yet maybe all future bank account seekers should just go to Krungthai Bank since they are willing to do the extra work required to open an account without a WP and they say so on their website.

I mean that's what you needed to do from the very outset. The problem you describe and "your" solution to it is probably the most often discussed subject on TVF over the past ten years hence the solution is widely known because of those threads. And limiting the solution to just Krungthai is silly since the problem is branch management which is infinitely variable in terms of quality and professionalism, among all banks in Thailand. As an aside, I've been here for eleven years and have held/currently hold accounts with most of the banks, the only one I do not hold is TMB. This is because there is one single branch manager on Chan Klan Road who insists only work permit holders can open an account there and he refuses to budge on this issue. On my rare low days, when I need cheering up, I go and visit him and try to open an account, just to bait him, it's worth noting that this is not a problem with other branches of TMB.

I think possibly you were the cause of all the drama, when you walked into each bank. My take of the scenario is you walked into the bank, asked to open an account and then started explaining why. "I need to put 400,000 baht in a bank account, to get marriage visa". This could be a red flag for the bank to question your legal status. Never explain anything, only supply enough information to achieve your goal, any more only complicates everything else. It took you 3 weeks to achieve what most of us, that responded to your post, have done in less than a day. I myself have saving accounts at 3 Thai banks, all opened since the US government implicated the new tax information. It took me less than one hour to open each account. This was my scenario when I opened my first account at Krung Thai bank, on which I had a 30 day entry stamp. The other two opened with 60 tourist entry. Went to the bank with future BIL who had account at the bank. Asked to open a savings account, to get an atm card. Put passport and money on counter. Signed all the paperwork and set PIN code. Whole process less than 45 minutes. Have since opened accounts at Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank without reference assistance. Also have set up account with New York branch of BB for money transfers. Living in Thailand is only as hard as you make it for yourself.

I did not consider TMB because they do not offer English language on their website.

TMB has a English or Thai language selection in the upper right hand corner of their screen. But even with that sometimes what a website calls their English pages is still mostly Thai. That's where Google Translate comes in very handy and many times does a pretty good screen translation like for the TMB pages. Google Translate is your friend in Thailand.

Google translate can be great at times - it can also be very, very bad at others (much worse than below) - use extreme caution. Below is Google translation and below the company (human) translation.

Thank you choose to Lhasa Florida. The destinations of shopping online. We hope you have a good time from shopping with us and are happy to use your new product.
If there are some items in your order, pending delivery. You can track your package by using tools to track our website or through trucking companies that work with us, which we have noted in previous e-mail.
Thank you for shopping on Lazada! We hope you had a great time shopping with us and enjoy your newly bought items.
If you still have item (s) pending delivery in your order, you can still follow them using our tracking tool or our logistics partner website as advised in our last emails.

I mean that's what you needed to do from the very outset. The problem you describe and "your" solution to it is probably the most often discussed subject on TVF over the past ten years hence the solution is widely known because of those threads. And limiting the solution to just Krungthai is silly since the problem is branch management which is infinitely variable in terms of quality and professionalism, among all banks in Thailand. As an aside, I've been here for eleven years and have held/currently hold accounts with most of the banks, the only one I do not hold is TMB. This is because there is one single branch manager on Chan Klan Road who insists only work permit holders can open an account there and he refuses to budge on this issue. On my rare low days, when I need cheering up, I go and visit him and try to open an account, just to bait him, it's worth noting that this is not a problem with other branches of TMB.

As someone previously stated, I need to bank within close proximity to where I live because the branch you open the account with is the one you must use for any type of account changes. It was not really feasible to go to every branch of every bank I saw or came to so I hit the ones near my apartment. As it turns out, all totaled, I visited 9 branches of various banks. BoB wanted the letter from the embassy and all other branches, many different branches of the same bank, all refused to open an account without a WP except for Krungthai. Given how I was treated by the staff at the Krungthai branch near me, I have glowing praise for that bank and nothing but condemnation for all the other banks. I will always recommend them and advice avoiding the other banks. Of course, your mileage may vary.

My hope, is that future bank account seekers, will simply read the Pinned Topics Section on opening accounts, and and not start another whining and bitching thread.