Fired because I look Asian

Ops - this is quite disgusting... Are you a Native English Speaker ? Where were you born?

The reason I ask: You mention that you are Asian, if you speak English with an accent the School may not want this. I don't think this would be racist.

However, if your Accent is perfect (i.e. a Perfect and fluent English Accent) then I'd suggest the School are being highly racist and you could take this as a Complaint to the relevant authority (employment board).

Before you make a formal complaint: Did you have a Work Permit and Contract in place?

Do not waste your time, just look at his recent threads

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845770-can-a-teacher-agency-sue-me/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/843630-totally-passed-on-job-interview/

After going through the two threads, not surprise why he got fired. Nothing to do with him being Asian, probably has everything to do with his stuck up over confident attitude.

I have Indian and even Thai friends who speaks fluent English, they teach at English and local schools and are well liked by the locals. Many Thais are pretty racist with Indians too, but if you carry yourself well, you are no different than any other likable human being.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The teaching of English is simply overused as most, not all just figure, well, I speak it so I will teach it.

It wasnt very many years ago that even under qualified "English teachers" were held in high esteem here and were refered to as Ajarn and not simply Kru.........

Before I retired I had A few patients that were bonified , tried and true English teachers....They made very decent money .

Nowadays its a job that will just let you stay here at a subsistence level, in most cases.

I posted in another topic about Asian looking English teachers in Vietnam.

I know an English born man who runs a English program school in Vung Tau, Vietnam........just south Of Ho Chi Minh City.

His Vietnamese wife actually owns the school, he acts as the headmaster of the school.

He told me quite candidly, that it is hard to hire Asian looking English teachers there.

This is because there is a feeling among Vietnamese that to teach English you must LOOK like an English man or woman.

In his school many Vietnamese -Chinese parents pay a premium fee for an education in English in his school.

It is the parents who feel that they are paying for an English based education for their children and therefore they want "real"

English teachers that look English.

I know, as does he, that it doesn't make sense..... but it is what the parents who pay for a "true" English education want and they are the ones who pay the bill.

I expect some of the same mentality applies to Thailand also.

It does make sense,, I would not like a child of mine to learn English from a Asian with a American accent. The school has brains,and knew it would cause

problems

So quick surgery

Why?

OB

Because I would want him to learn English, Not end up sounding like John Wayne. American is NOT English is it?

Still not real English,, Most is just English slang that all. Nothing sound worse than an asian speaking English with a American/Asian accent.

Are you... ?? He says he's an NES from California. What's this Asian thing about? There are more than 1/2 as many NES's in California as there are in all of England.

America is known as a melting pot and Asians may be several generations into being Americans and may never have been to Asia.

California has 38,802,500 people. English speaking @ 57.4%.

England has a population of 53,012,456. 85.4% White so presumably English speaking.

The UK is obviously also a melting pot of Asians predominantly from India and Pakistan (unfortunately)

All figures from wiki.

When English singers sing. They lose there accent........I think there right though. We missed the boat on not saying we speak American. Could put all the girly arguments to bed if that were the case.....

When English singers sing. They lose there accent........I think there right though. We missed the boat on not saying we speak American. Could put all the girly arguments to bed if that were the case.....

I speak American.

Some Thai people are complimenting me on my speech. Sometimes I like to fancy that I speak like Michael Douglas but I don't.

I speak American.

Some Thai people are complimenting me on my speech. Sometimes I like to fancy that I speak like Michael Douglas but I don't.

Stop whining on here and go get a job. Plenty available. BUT stop playing the race card.. Your either American or Asian.. Make up your mind and stick to it!

Worked for my mate, he's Thai/American on the outside but 100% American on the inside, attitude, speech etc

I speak American.

Stop whining on here and go get a job. Plenty available. BUT stop playing the race card.. Your either American or Asian.. Make up your mind and stick to it!

Worked for my mate, he's Thai/American on the outside but 100% American on the inside, attitude, speech etc

I am still curious to know whether the OP took his case of unfair dismissal to the the DOL as suggested

Still not real English,, Most is just English slang that all. Nothing sound worse than an asian speaking English with a American/Asian accent.

Are you... ?? He says he's an NES from California. What's this Asian thing about? There are more than 1/2 as many NES's in California as there are in all of England.

America is known as a melting pot and Asians may be several generations into being Americans and may never have been to Asia.

England has a population of 53,012,456. 85.4% White so presumably English speaking.

The UK is obviously also a melting pot of Asians predominantly from India and Pakistan (unfortunately)

All figures from wiki.

Yes correct

When English singers sing they dont.

All figures from wiki.

Indeed , another of our former colonies that is doing pretty nicely thank you very much. we call the language Indian English, similar to our former colony in the new world, used so that tribes with different native toungues all over India can still communicate with each other. to my ear its a nicer sounding English, as for population , well this former colony has plenty of space to grow, and is doing so.

As for melting pot, a good thing too. genetic diversity is what we need rather than receeding jaw, buck tooth, misguided xenophobic , bigotted types. I look forward to seeing this former colonies economy grow further.

Having reviewed this thread, I am surprised it managed to go this long.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

CLOSED