Fired because I look Asian

Yet another troll post from the resident troll.rolleyes.gif

Well done I love to see the sharpest pencil in the pencil case,have you ever thought that if you did not have fodder to feed of then your sad life might be more vacant than it is now.You must be a hawk waiting for prey.You and the others keep this miserable site going.

A translation would be good , thanks in advance

Translation: He means that every topic you participate in you area know all <deleted>. Understand now?

For some reason, i think i know more then you and him put togetherthumbsup.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NeverSure

English has been is butchered daily by various tribes in the UK who can barely understand each other, much less can the majority of world English speakers understand them.

cheesy.gif

Have you seen them play darts.

Perhaps , If the manager is a westerner.

He is a member of TV and has read your threads. Easy to figure out if thats the case.

As you have linked your web page with your video and resume...........

A few times I have been in a bar in Bkk and have been engaged in random conversations and recognized people from there posts. Floored thwm both times. But Bangkok is not as big as people think.

Do you have tattoos?

I'm guessing they might want actual English teachers that look like they came from England(not just ones that can speak English)unsure.png . Either that or they might think you are a Filippino.

Sorry about the job. There are no p.c.(political correctness) laws in Thailand.

At another time, you may have been able to complain that your constitutional rights were violated. Believe it or not, Thailand has been ruled under martial law for some time and, under martial law, the constitution has ben suspended. Find other employment.

The topic, I believe is about someone who is Asian by race and yet a native American NES. I'm not an English teacher but I do know Thais well enough to know that they aren't PC in the ways of the West and they might in fact have let someone go because he wasn't Caucasian.

The OP has received a lot of personal attacks in this thread and I don't like it. I have pushed back against some who have attacked him personally. I normally don't correct spelling or grammar but when people start out by being better than someone they are asking for it. That's true here for me since the topic is teaching English and the critics abound.

IMHO the topic began as a basic question or presumption that an Asian could have trouble keeping a job teaching English in Thailand. Instead of getting serious discussion he got personal insults. That's too bad because it's a worthwhile topic.

I'm not interested in teaching English but I'm interested in English education for the Thai children. They need it. Any time a true NES is run off, perhaps to be replaced by a Thai or Filipino, a resource is lost. It's a shame.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

In no way shape or form is this about one being better than the other, it's a case solely of recognizing the differences between the two. So when the client requests a native English speaker, I put it to you that what they expected was an English person. Why? Here's some of the reasons:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/british-and-american-english

EDIT: and I would react the same if the OP had been a Brit. but not qualified to teach. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not and never been an English teacher.

Edited by chiang mai

In no way shape or form is this about one being better than the other, it's a case solely of recognizing the differences between the two. So when the client requests a native English speaker, I put it to you that what they expected was an English person. Why? Here's some of the reasons:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/british-and-american-english

EDIT: and I would react the same if the OP had been a Brit. but not qualified to teach. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not and never been an English teacher.

I agree back to the bit about this unfair treatment. sereiuously you google employment laws( not sure of evil junta have voided all laws under martial law or not) and you will see racism is not tolerated, if told because you look asian then that is racist- or prejudic or something.

as for above, yeah I agree all are equal, and some are more equal than others

A decade or so back I applied for a job at a company and didn't get it. Months after that I was asked to apply at the same company. I did. they remembered me - same interviewers - at senior level - a Singaporean and Thai.

They told me that the reason I didn't get the first job was because they "wanted an Asian face. It wasn't being racist, just that they felt that the position should go to an Asian face".

Didn't bother raising the definition of racism to them. The concept really isn't that well developed here and to an extent in Asia generally. Even if it is they'll ignore it if inconvenient or doesn't suit. Unfortunately the West often goes too far in racism concepts and the East not far enough :)

What I'd say to OP though is that here you'll often find people don't discriminate about who they discriminate against. So at least find some comfort in that. laugh.png

The topic, I believe is about someone who is Asian by race and yet a native American NES. I'm not an English teacher but I do know Thais well enough to know that they aren't PC in the ways of the West and they might in fact have let someone go because he wasn't Caucasian.

The OP has received a lot of personal attacks in this thread and I don't like it. I have pushed back against some who have attacked him personally. I normally don't correct spelling or grammar but when people start out by being better than someone they are asking for it. That's true here for me since the topic is teaching English and the critics abound.

IMHO the topic began as a basic question or presumption that an Asian could have trouble keeping a job teaching English in Thailand. Instead of getting serious discussion he got personal insults. That's too bad because it's a worthwhile topic.

I'm not interested in teaching English but I'm interested in English education for the Thai children. They need it. Any time a true NES is run off, perhaps to be replaced by a Thai or Filipino, a resource is lost. It's a shame.

Cheers.

The Guy is a troll,thats for sure. You are interested in teaching English, otherwise you would not be interested in the thread. Its not a worthwhile topic,becuse its stupid

Yesterday I started a job to finish out the semester with a school.

I taught a few classes but when I met the manager I knew something was wrong.

In the middle of the day the agency spokesperson told me that the school didn't want me. I asked and they basically said it's because I look Asian. I am Asian.

What the hell is wrong with Thailand? Why are do many people so dumb and racist? I love this place but too many people are brought up to be imbeciles.

Welcome to Asia. Western countries aren't that bad overall are they?

OB

Cheers.

The Guy is a troll,thats for sure. You are interested in teaching English, otherwise you would not be interested in the thread. Its not a worthwhile topic,becuse its stupid

Neversure doesnt even live in Thailand he lives in Oregon which is in America, if you didnt know, but please dont get him started

Cheers.

Neversure doesnt even live in Thailand he lives in Oregon which is in America, if you didnt know, but please dont get him started

OK I was never sure about that, are you sure?

I posted in another topic about Asian looking English teachers in Vietnam.

I know an English born man who runs a English program school in Vung Tau, Vietnam........just south Of Ho Chi Minh City.

His Vietnamese wife actually owns the school, he acts as the headmaster of the school.

He told me quite candidly, that it is hard to hire Asian looking English teachers there.

This is because there is a feeling among Vietnamese that to teach English you must LOOK like an English man or woman.

In his school many Vietnamese -Chinese parents pay a premium fee for an education in English in his school.

It is the parents who feel that they are paying for an English based education for their children and therefore they want "real"

English teachers that look English.

I know, as does he, that it doesn't make sense..... but it is what the parents who pay for a "true" English education want and they are the ones who pay the bill.

I expect some of the same mentality applies to Thailand also.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I know an English born man who runs a English program school in Vung Tau, Vietnam........just south Of Ho Chi Minh City.

His Vietnamese wife actually owns the school, he acts as the headmaster of the school.

He told me quite candidly, that it is hard to hire Asian looking English teachers there.

This is because there is a feeling among Vietnamese that to teach English you must LOOK like an English man or woman.

In his school many Vietnamese -Chinese parents pay a premium fee for an education in English in his school.

It is the parents who feel that they are paying for an English based education for their children and therefore they want "real"

I know, as does he, that it doesn't make sense..... but it is what the parents who pay for a "true" English education want and they are the ones who pay the bill.

It does make sense,, I would not like a child of mine to learn English from a Asian with a American accent. The school has brains,and knew it would cause

problems

So quick surgery

Ops - this is quite disgusting... Are you a Native English Speaker ? Where were you born?

The reason I ask: You mention that you are Asian, if you speak English with an accent the School may not want this. I don't think this would be racist.

However, if your Accent is perfect (i.e. a Perfect and fluent English Accent) then I'd suggest the School are being highly racist and you could take this as a Complaint to the relevant authority (employment board).

Before you make a formal complaint: Did you have a Work Permit and Contract in place?

Do not waste your time, just look at his recent threads

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845770-can-a-teacher-agency-sue-me/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/843630-totally-passed-on-job-interview/

Yes, it would appear that the OP is full of it. Why do people just make-up stuff?

Yet another troll post from the resident troll.rolleyes.gif

Well done I love to see the sharpest pencil in the pencil case,have you ever thought that if you did not have fodder to feed of then your sad life might be more vacant than it is now.You must be a hawk waiting for prey.You and the others keep this miserable site going.

A translation would be good , thanks in advance

Translation: He means that every topic you participate in you area know all <deleted>. Understand now?

sigh. perhaps if you typed the words in the order you want them read, i wouldn't be struggling.

It does make sense,, I would not like a child of mine to learn English from a Asian with a American accent. The school has brains,and knew it would cause

problems

So quick surgery

why, i know plenty of asian native english speakers. in fact i have raised one, though admittedly things would have to go pretty wrong for her before she took an esl job

Edited by HooHaa

problems

So quick surgery

Why?

OB

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Picking up on this I would like tos ee if others would like to lobby with me on this one. If you sell certain foods such as cornish pasties , they need to have been made in the land of the cornish. similarly if you are an English teacher you ought be English. Lets lobby the EU to make a start on this and by law we can remove some of the rabble out there pretending they are English.

That will mean to teach English you must have been born in England, a British passport will not do.

Come on people lets unite and see the riff raff spoiling our good name and good language is legally prevented from calling themselves English teachers.

We shall see them renamed as something else. while I like the idea of shister and fraud, I expect other names would be more politically correct.

What say you?

Tally ho

Edited by mmh8