Warning on riding busses

Robert64

A word of warning to the people who ride the busses on a regular basis. Yesterday I got on a bus and there was the single seat, I took it. The ticket woman was none too happy a farang was on the bus but she did take my money. As soon as the fares were taken she went up to the front to use her phone. Shortly a guy got on, even though there were many empty seats, he found his place next to me. The ticket woman never went to him to get his fare but did get her phone and started filming. As the bus went farther down the road the guy next to me started moving closer and closer until I was pushed against the window. The whole time the ticket women kept filming and not taking any fares. Again the bus was not crowded, as I tried to get off the bus I had to force my way past the guy. Has anyone else had this happen to them? The bus was a number 1 down Charoen Krung Rd. Caught the bus at Saphan Taksin sorry I didn’t think fast enough ot get the bus number.

You said, "Yesterday I got on a bus and there was the single seat, I took it". Then you said, "As the bus went farther down the road the guy next to me started moving closer and closer until I was pushed against the window".

Soooo, what kind of seat were you in, one reserved for monks perhaps!!

You said, "Yesterday I got on a bus and there was the single seat, I took it". Then you said, "As the bus went farther down the road the guy next to me started moving closer and closer until I was pushed against the window".

That would be a real good explanation.. Thais certainly would not like this kind of behavior. Sometimes there are seat reserved for monks. That would explain her filming him.

Smart thinking chiang mai.

Ah! The No. 1 (mini-bus) along Charoen Krung road. Know it well.

Nearly got slapped in the face by the bus conductor because I would not move over on the bench seat. There was a space on either side of me. Mind you I did insult her under my breath!

When you get on those buses all your human rights are forfeit!

Ah! The No. 1 (mini-bus) along Charoen Krung road. Know it well.

Nearly got slapped in the face by the bus conductor because I would not move over on the bench seat. There was a space on either side of me. Mind you I did insult her under my breath!

When you get on those buses all your human rights are forfeit!

and conductors are exempt as they arent "human"laugh.png

any thoughts on why this happened robert?

you were on a single person seat, on an almost empty bus and soemone joined you on the seat and squashed you while the woman videoes it?

its so bizarre, do you think its the Thai equivalent of happy slapping? perhaps they will put this up on social media to show how the Thai is superior to the farang? what do you think was going on?

Nothing to do with being a foreigner - I bet it's because you spoke English to her.

When you are illiterate or expect a Thai bus conductor to speak English, you deserve being treated as a buffoon.

So that's why the som tam lady keeps flobbing in my Pappaya.

Nothing to do with being a foreigner - I bet it's because you spoke English to her.

When you are illiterate or expect a Thai bus conductor to speak English, you deserve being treated as a buffoon.

And lets hope thats reciprocated to any Thais in England, good plan

So that's why the som tam lady keeps flobbing in my Pappaya.

No she's being polite, normally she'd do it in your face.

That would be a real good explanation.. Thais certainly would not like this kind of behavior. Sometimes there are seat reserved for monks. That would explain her filming him.

Smart thinking chiang mai.

I would also sit in the empty seat if I was there

Its hardly a crime to sit in the monk seat if there isn't any monks around, is it?

I would give up my seat for a few people, firstly disabled, then pregnant women or young children etc and then maybe monks in that order...

All Thais I've met in the UK have the decency to learn the language and in fact it is a requirement if they want a visa. The sooner they make Thai proficiency a requisite in visas for here, the better.

All Thais I've met in the UK have the decency to learn the language and in fact it is a requirement if they want a visa. The sooner they make Thai proficiency a requisite in visas for here, the better.

you have a good point, then perhaps real rewards made for contribution to the Thai society.

the only flaw I see, is the language skills are so poor compared to their neighbours laos, burma, vietnam etc they don't have a hope of catching up without letting any English speakers in.

So only "decent" people learn the language?

For permanent residency in Thailand "yes" for anything less nooooo ,Uk visitor visa requires no English test and a 6 month stay

There are several #1 bus services (Thanon Tok - Tha Tien):

Regular(Beige - Red)
Regular Beige - Red(Fare "Free")
Sharing Service(Mini Bus)
Were you on the "free" bus? I guess I could see why there might be some Thais who feel you are taking a free seat? There could even be "rules" about these free buses only being for Thais?
Free service on the red/beige buses is due to end on Nov. 1.
there was the single seat
To me this means that there was a group of two seats on either side of the aisle, and the OP chose to sit in one of those two, adjacent, open seats. Again, to me, it doesn't mean that there was only one available seat on the entire bus.
Edited by bamnutsak

I'm willing to bet a beer that only reason UK gets away with a "language requirement" is because they aren't in Schengen. But that's the first time i hear of such requirement...

you have a good point, then perhaps real rewards made for contribution to the Thai society.

the only flaw I see, is the language skills are so poor compared to their neighbours laos, burma, vietnam etc they don't have a hope of catching up without letting any English speakers in.

Only thing foreigners do in Thailand (those lawfully residing) is just that... contributing to the thai society without getting back a satang.

There are several #1 bus services (Thanon Tok - Tha Tien):

Regular(Beige - Red)

Regular Beige - Red(Fare "Free")

Sharing Service(Mini Bus)

Were you on the "free" bus? I guess I could see why there might be some Thais who feel you are taking a free seat? There could even be "rules" about these free buses only being for Thais?

Free service on the red/beige buses is due to end on Nov. 1.

there was the single seat

To me this means that there was a group of two seats on either side of the aisle, and the OP chose to sit in one of those two, adjacent, open seats. Again, to me, it doesn't mean that there was only one available seat on the entire bus.

this is the kind of roll over and point your anus up while relaxing sphincter remarks I dislike.

were you in your country free would apply to all, not an apartheid type system. free is free for all. there are disadvantages to the free buses such as no ac , etc but free is free. and if your theory is correct don't you think the thai, however ignorrant, would at least try and explain it instead of filming someone squashing the farang as if it was over ripe?

Weird incident, indeed. However, I don't think it was just the fact that you were a foreigner riding a public bus that made the ticket lady acting like this. I've been riding free busses over 4 years and never ever had any incident that would be worth mentioning. Every ride I was treated exactly as the other (Thai) passengers, no matter if it was one of the fixed fee busses (red, blue) or the yellow/orange ones with varying fares. I'd even been giving the correct change even though it would have been easy for a conductor to cheat out a few Baht from a foreigner that - presumbly - doesn't know the fares.

Regarding the explanation with the monk seat: They do have seats reserved for monks and others reserved for old or handicapped people. However, as long as none of them gets on the bus, everyone is allowed to sit there. A few times I've seen Thais sitting on a monk seat when a monk got on which he didn't notice and remained seated. Then the ticket lady came and reminded him and then he simply stood up. End of story.

I cant think why the conductor would have been filming this, doesnt seem to be anything unusual there.

I would like to ask this though; what is with the leg spreaders?

Had this a few times, got on a bus, people standing, although one seat vacant next to some richardHead with legs spread near 90 degrees, so that one leg is taking over a good portion of the seat next to him?

Is not like they were fat either..i dont get it, some kind of overcompensating statement?

I'm willing to bet a beer that only reason UK gets away with a "language requirement" is because they aren't in Schengen. But that's the first time i hear of such requirement...

This is to do with a residency visa not a tourist visa. To get residency in Thailand u have to prove u can speak a level of Thai. Thailand gives out few residencies every year.

UK gives out far more.