Retirement: Thailand vs Spain

TIMMMMM

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Que precios means what prices?

Que precioso or preciosa (adjectives in Spanish reflect the noun gender) means How beautiful or How lovely! However, the order of adjective/noun is normally reversed. Que coche precioso!= What a lovely car! Of course, there are many adjectives with similar meanings to beautiful or lovely. Guapo or guapa is very common but traditionally used for handsome or pretty children/boys/girls/men etc as well as dogs or cats or even, these days, inanimate objects.

How much (for price) is Cuanto es?

Note also that all sentences which have exclamation marks or question marks have TWO in Castillian (normal) Spanish. One at the beginning, inverted (upside-down) and a "normal" one at the closure. There are a couple of other differences with letters, including LL (one letter) as well as a normal L, and something called a TILDE (which my keyboard will not do, but it normally sits on top of S to give a different sound from a normal S).

Spanish is much easier to learn than Thai, partly because of the script (abcd) and because it has tenses (unlike Thai) which are similar to those of the other Romance languages (and English), so you will say I walk, I am walking, I walked, I will walk etc etc with one or two subtle differences (as compared to the standard English tense system). Although some of the sounds are quite difficult (like the rolling rrrrrr), Spanish is not a tonal language as is Thai (5 tones). Spanish also has articles (a cat, the cat, some cats--OK, some is not an article--). above all, spanish people are not always 'strict' and will understand you if you mangle the language as a beginner.

Spain is big. I think that only France is fractionally larger. The size of Spain means that there are many regions. Green and wet, hot and dry, very hot and very dry, etc. Madrid sits on a plateau which can bake or freeze. I have also lived in Valencia and Barcelona, and you need heating on winter nights. You will also scrape your windscreen for frost on some January mornings.

For the real Spain, you should avoid Benidorm and Torremolinos, unless you want Lager and chips and "are you lookin at my bird?" But, you may feel at home because there are English mechanics and plumbers and whatnot.

Unfortunately, you will pay tax in Spain, even on Offshore Banking. Things have tightened up a lot, and you will be on the computers as soon as you buy a flat or rent a house.

With the Euro standing at 1.44 to a Pound this week, Spain is bloody cheap again. Wine lovers cannot go wrong, either.

Lidl and Aldi are everywhere. Upmarket a bit is Mercadona--a bit like Sainsbury's but also ubiquitous. Spanish Blackfoot Pig ham is as good as the best Italian cured hams, or better.

If anyone wants to know anything about Spain, feel free to PM me.

Eddy.

I would say that is pretty spot on.

The problem with that site is that in many instances it simply doesnt compare like with like.

For example: it compares a meal in a local Spanish restaurant at 385B (10EUR) and one in Thailand at 50B.

Well, yes, you can get a bowl of noodle soup at a street stall here for 50B and very nice it is too. But it just cant be compared to what you can get in Spain. Even in France 15EUR buys you a very good 3-course meal served in a proper restaurant with real tables and chairs, clean dishes and cutlery, air-con, free water and free bread.

If you take a truly comparable meal here it will probably cost you 300+B, maybe more. And the wine you have with it will cost a small fortune here whereas in Spain it will only cost a Euro (40B).

So I am very wary of the figures quoted on that site.

Below is based on Global retirement index, Thailand no 10 and Spain no 7:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-countries-to-retire-in-2015-170424541.html

Spain can be cold during the winters so as mentioned, if one can afford to share the time between the 2 countries that would be ideal.

If you can live in Thailand as a Thai, eating Thai food only, Thailand will be cheaper to live in(I can't, LOL).

I don't know what cars/bikes cost in Spain? If you stick with Thai made cars/bike the price is cheap for me here in Thailand.

I work in oil off-shore and pay 0% tax here in Thailand and save app 30-40% of my income for retirement, not possible if living in Spain.

A speeding violation in car/bike is about 500-1000baht here, it would likely be the same in Spain but in Euros, he-he.

As a EU citizen many advantages of living in Spain as mentioned: Stay as long as you like, no visa's to worry about.

Buy a house and own it 100%, no bullshit as here.

Easy to tour EU from Spain.

And so on.

Best to go there and look around, check the prices yourself and see if you like it generally.

Except Spain is notorious for building houses with no planning permission,building on land not fit for building on. Houses bearing illegal land papers, beware! many people migrating have been ripped off,and forget the EEC,they will not get your money back.

Except Spain is notorious for building houses with no planning permission,building on land not fit for building on. Houses bearing illegal land papers, beware! many people migrating have been ripped off

Excellent point! That never happens in Thailand ….

Except Spain is notorious for building houses with no planning permission,building on land not fit for building on. Houses bearing illegal land papers, beware! many people migrating have been ripped off

Excellent point! That never happens in Thailand ….

Indeed.

Some people have surely been ripped off in Spain but many times more have been ripped off here.

I would say that is pretty spot on.

The problem with that site is that in many instances it simply doesnt compare like with like.

For example: it compares a meal in a local Spanish restaurant at 385B (10EUR) and one in Thailand at 50B.

Well, yes, you can get a bowl of noodle soup at a street stall here for 50B and very nice it is too. But it just cant be compared to what you can get in Spain. Even in France 15EUR buys you a very good 3-course meal served in a proper restaurant with real tables and chairs, clean dishes and cutlery, air-con, free water and free bread.

If you take a truly comparable meal here it will probably cost you 300+B, maybe more. And the wine you have with it will cost a small fortune here whereas in Spain it will only cost a Euro (40B).

So I am very wary of the figures quoted on that site.

Yesterday took the lady to a local restaurant (Pattaya, dark side), admittedly a cut above your average Thai restaurant. I had a mussel entree, followed by halibut and chips, she had two basic Thai dishes, plus 4 beers between us. Bill came to 1080 baht, so if you want some decent quality food in Thailand, you pay for it. Quite honestly, I'm sick of the rubbish that's served up for 50 baht, full of MSG, salt and sugar, unwashed vegetables and mystery meat.

Language is much simpler.

Basic conversational fluency, even for the terminally stupid, in just a year.

That, and you won't find Chef scrutinizing a booger while preparing your meal.

I can understand you,looking the pics of your profile, simple man

Women...in Spain...?

YES, OFCOURSE...WOMEN FOR REAL MEN, write real comments constructive , realistic and critical knowledge ... not stupid words about Spanish food. IS NOT A COUNTRY FOR DONALD "trump" ducks.

Edited by pijus magnificus

Spanish living in Thailand: Roads here are really dangerous. For my breadfast, chocolate or cookies i pay a fortune compared with my country. There are no many choice to drink a imported German beer and the ones are very expensive. No many place for do exercise outdoor. If you care your life you will avoid ride bycicle. Poluttion in thailand is really hight. Swim on the Beaches of Thailand is a hight risk "sport". The smell of banana and jet ski will stuck in you body.

Walk after 8.00 pm can be dangerous due to no light working. TV is very bored in Thailand so need to add True TV to my budget.

As i can't own a house here i won't feel like this is "my" country.

Really bored go to buy in big shops (home.pr.., thai watsha...,etc) as you will feel like a "falang".

As Spanish i choose my country 1000 VS 1.

If i would buy a house i always use a lawer. Only need comun sense. If you buy a house 10 times the market prices something smell. That can happend in Thailand too.

If my thai wife could adapt to my country i will move tomorrow morning.

The best thing about Thailand is that you can't get paella.

Yes you can get paella.

YES , paella , bullfighters, flamenco ... that simplicity comment .

I need a little more of culture in this post PUYAI

I have lived in Spain for 20 years and divided my time between Spain and Thailand for the last 10 years (approx 6 months in each country) so please feel free to PM me if you want to know my spin on the pros and cons of each destination.

Best wishes

Edited by johnsnapo

Spanish living in Thailand: Roads here are really dangerous. For my breadfast, chocolate or cookies i pay a fortune compared with my country. There are no many choice to drink a imported German beer and the ones are very expensive. No many place for do exercise outdoor. If you care your life you will avoid ride bycicle. Poluttion in thailand is really hight. Swim on the Beaches of Thailand is a hight risk "sport". The smell of banana and jet ski will stuck in you body.

Walk after 8.00 pm can be dangerous due to no light working. TV is very bored in Thailand so need to add True TV to my budget.

As i can't own a house here i won't feel like this is "my" country.

Really bored go to buy in big shops (home.pr.., thai watsha...,etc) as you will feel like a "falang".

As Spanish i choose my country 1000 VS 1.

If i would buy a house i always use a lawer. Only need comun sense. If you buy a house 10 times the market prices something smell. That can happend in Thailand too.

If my thai wife could adapt to my country i will move tomorrow morning.

You mean she adapts to Spain worse than you seem to have adapted to Thailand ? Rocky road ahead....

I have lived in Spain for 20 years and divided my time between Spain and Thailand for the last 10 years (approx 6 months in each country) so please feel free to PM me if you want to know my spin on the pros and cons of each destination.

Best wishes

I think you should write here your informations, not PM

in a public forum like TV, I don't understand people who write with PM, unless it is very private, which is not the case here

I know ( from a forum ) people who live in Canaries Island, they love it and they say that with 1300 euros you have a very good life : as an EU retired member, you have to get a permit of stay every 5 years and show that you have a pension of ( I don't remember exactly ) 1000 euros a month

for me it will be only a solution if there are problems in Thailand, because I prefer Thailand

The women?

Dont they have those in Spain?

I think they do, but they generally dont come with a sick buffalo and an extended family of 20 people who all want to live in your garage.

They do come with mustaches though.

So do MANY Thai women and anyway I like em hairy

Que precios means what prices?

Que precioso or preciosa (adjectives in Spanish reflect the noun gender) means How beautiful or How lovely! However, the order of adjective/noun is normally reversed. Que coche precioso!= What a lovely car! Of course, there are many adjectives with similar meanings to beautiful or lovely. Guapo or guapa is very common but traditionally used for handsome or pretty children/boys/girls/men etc as well as dogs or cats or even, these days, inanimate objects.

How much (for price) is Cuanto es?

Note also that all sentences which have exclamation marks or question marks have TWO in Castillian (normal) Spanish. One at the beginning, inverted (upside-down) and a "normal" one at the closure. There are a couple of other differences with letters, including LL (one letter) as well as a normal L, and something called a TILDE (which my keyboard will not do, but it normally sits on top of S to give a different sound from a normal S).

Spanish is much easier to learn than Thai, partly because of the script (abcd) and because it has tenses (unlike Thai) which are similar to those of the other Romance languages (and English), so you will say I walk, I am walking, I walked, I will walk etc etc with one or two subtle differences (as compared to the standard English tense system). Although some of the sounds are quite difficult (like the rolling rrrrrr), Spanish is not a tonal language as is Thai (5 tones). Spanish also has articles (a cat, the cat, some cats--OK, some is not an article--). above all, spanish people are not always 'strict' and will understand you if you mangle the language as a beginner.

Spain is big. I think that only France is fractionally larger. The size of Spain means that there are many regions. Green and wet, hot and dry, very hot and very dry, etc. Madrid sits on a plateau which can bake or freeze. I have also lived in Valencia and Barcelona, and you need heating on winter nights. You will also scrape your windscreen for frost on some January mornings.

For the real Spain, you should avoid Benidorm and Torremolinos, unless you want Lager and chips and "are you lookin at my bird?" But, you may feel at home because there are English mechanics and plumbers and whatnot.

Unfortunately, you will pay tax in Spain, even on Offshore Banking. Things have tightened up a lot, and you will be on the computers as soon as you buy a flat or rent a house.

With the Euro standing at 1.44 to a Pound this week, Spain is bloody cheap again. Wine lovers cannot go wrong, either.

Lidl and Aldi are everywhere. Upmarket a bit is Mercadona--a bit like Sainsbury's but also ubiquitous. Spanish Blackfoot Pig ham is as good as the best Italian cured hams, or better.

If anyone wants to know anything about Spain, feel free to PM me.

Eddy.

I keep 3 acres there "just in case" I would agree in many ways Spain is much better, no rank stupidity for one.

My Land is down at Villenueva del la Concepcion looking onto El Torcal mountains, beautiful area but occasional snow has been known there.

Language is much simpler.

Basic conversational fluency, even for the terminally stupid, in just a year.

That, and you won't find Chef scrutinizing a booger while preparing your meal.

I agree

In a nutshell, Spain is great and I would move there tomorrow if it wasn't for taxes. Spain is getting similar to US or any other "developed" country for that matter. In this respect Thailand is better, FOR NOW. Also, petty crime is very high in Spain, which is almost non-existent (in my view). I am not afraid of my phone snatching in Thailand. It can happen, but rare. Sounds like it's common occurrence in Spain in many public places. It's may not be the case for small villages. But again, taxes on my already after tax money...not for me.

It's VERY SAD that OECD mafia has created an environment where people can't spend their legally earned money without being taxed again or even lose their savings. Cyprus, Greece come to mind.

It makes much more sense now why so many people stick to Thailand.

The first five years of my retirement were in Spain, and I've now done 10 years in Thailand. Its no contest really, but it does depend where you live in Spain. I chose an area in the South where property was cheap. It was cheap because it was like living in the third world, no electricity no phone lines no water. Rampant corruption! And even worse it was cold in the winter! During our first winter temperatures dropped to minus 10C, there was snow on the swimming pool.

We ended up losing 100,000 euros because our crooked lawyer colluded with the crooked mayor who colluded with the crooked builders to build thousands of illegal villas.

By contrast Thailand has been like a garden of Eden.

I would pick Spain any day than Thailand. Very easy to get visa for wife I did it last year but UK do not recognise the Schenzen visa. Property is very cheap. I lived in Mallorca for 4 years had a charter boat back when Franco was in power. The most greener part of Spain is Galisia, there are thousands of abandoned villages and farm type homes made in Stone. If you are for it you can buy a Finca/farm with many acres from 70,000 to 200,000 Euro depending on it's condition. It can get quite cold and snowy in Galicia Winter.

So many businesses for sale like restaurants/bars cheap. You need to do every thing through a good lawyer.

There is a UK paper click on Google "Olive Press Spain" you can join their expat site bit like Thai Visa another good site is "Think Spain" property's etc.

Property is starting to rise a little. The Spain visa office in BKK are very helpfull their site have the application forms and explains all you need to apply. You apply for residency once you are in Spain.

You can find property agents any where in Spain through Google. Rentals are cheap for long term, 1 yr. the best area in down the east coast between Valencia and Malaga. People are very nice and helpfull and language much easier to learn.

Email me through Thai Visa if you want to ask me things. I went through all this last year we planned to open fashion shops buying from Pratunam Bangkok markets but the rules and conditions did not suit me and my Thai wife did not want to leave her family of house.