4G In Chiang Mai

stament

A few questions to knowledgeable TV members :-)

1. How much faster is 4g vs 3G? Is someone able to give some examples please. We currently have 3bb at home and connect via wifi. Does 4g make much of a difference?

2. We use 12call what's their 4g and 3G coverage like in CM?

Any other useful stuff I should be aware of on this topic? Note purposely posting in CM forum.

Thanks

How is the wifi? 3G/4G has download limits so you gotta start worrying about that, also with any multiple access air interface its hard to say how good it will be, depends on how many people are using it, signal strength ect

12Call is AIS, which does not have 4G cell service yet. The only companies with 4G service in Thailand is True and DTAC. Is there a difference in speed, oh yes, 4G downloads are much faster.

You mentioned 3BB, I know they offer internet service to your home, but to my knowledge they do not supply cell service though I could be wrong.

Unfortunately thats what DTAC wants to cover is not what it actually does cover.

Many places in town and in shopping malls (where they should have the best coverage) I still get only 2G or edge.

A lot of it depends on where their cell towers are located.

So for example if you will use this mainly at your home, you might want to check the signal there with a DTAC sim card.

Edited by THAIJAMES

Don't confuse 3G or 4G wireless mobile service (mobile data) obtained via your phone or tablet SIM card with wireless service at home (wifi) obtained via your home modem/router box e.g. 3bb plugged into your home phone line. Two different routes to the same internet, but with very different technologies and performance.

Unfortunately thats what DTAC wants to cover is not what it actually does cover.

Many places in town and in shopping malls (where they should have the best coverage) I still get only 2G or edge.

A lot of it depends on where their cell towers are located.

So for example if you will use this mainly at your home, you might want to check the signal there with a DTAC sim card.

I've never had any problems in town proper and even my last trip up to Mae Sai I was surprised how well the DTAC 4G coverage had improved (only time I hit Edge was in the Mountains after getting off Highway 1, couple of times went back to 3G.)

Occasionally it will go back to 3G HSPA+ coverage out a bit further from the city centre.

My main gripe with it is that it's just not very quick compared to other places or countries. Fasted I've ever gotten out of it is 10mbps down, half the time I'm lucky on 2-3, so it's not much different that 3G HSPA+.