Phuket tourism boss finally vows to deport illegal Chinese tour guides

Lite Beer

Phuket tourism boss finally vows to deport illegal Chinese tour guides

Suthicha Sirirat

1439008733_1-org.jpg

About 200 Chinese-speaking Thai tour guides are on strike to protest illegal guides still working in Phuket’s tourism industry. Photo: Suthicha Sirirat

PHUKET: Santi Pawai, the director of the Ministry of Tourism (MoTS) Phuket office, has finally vowed to deport any foreigners caught working illegally as Chinese tour guides and to revoke the business licenses of any companies found hiring them.

Mr Santi announced the news in response to 200 Chinese-speaking Thai tour guides in Phuket staging a general strike to protest illegal guides still working in the industry.

About 30 of the guides, all from the Chinese-Thai Guide Association and led by Nonphuree Phattarakunakorn, 49, marched on the Phuket MoTS office on Thursday (August 6).

Their mission: to file a formal complaint to Phuket MoTS office director Santi Pawai and demand that officials resolve the issue once and for all.

“For the past six months, Chinese tour companies have been sneaking in their own tour guides and allowing illegal tour guides to work in Phuket without any concern for tourism laws and regulations.

“Even worse, these illegal tour guides have no knowledge of Thai culture. They are destroying Thailand’s tourism image as they conduct tours,” Mr Nonphuree said.

“These illegal guides are costing Thais more and more jobs in Phuket and in other provinces. Many Chinese-speaking Thai tour guides are suffering and we want the authorities to hear our voice and help preserve the legal right for Thai tour guides in accordance with the Tourism Act 2008.”

Mr Nonphuree stated that general strike by about 200 Chinese-speaking Thai tour guides, which began on Tuesday (August 4), will continue until next Wednesday (August 12).

“These Chinese tour companies never listen to Thai guides and continue to allow foreigners to work illegally as guides. If they [the tour companies] never perceive Thai tour guides as valuable assets to them, then Thai guides will no longer work for them,” he said.

Mr Nonphuree said that the tour companies involved repeatedly claim that Phuket does not have enough Chinese-speaking Thai tour guides to serve the burgeoning market.

“This is not true,” he said. “We have more than 2,500 guides in our Chinese-Thai Guide Association today, which is more than enough to cover the tour guides’ duty on the island.

“These tour companies claim that the Thai guides available do not speak Chinese proficiently enough to serve their tours,” Mr Nonphuree explained.

Defending the efforts by the Phuket MoTS office to eradicate illegal guides from Phuket’s tourism industry, Mr Santi said, “I can assure you that we doing all we can to suppress illegal tour guides and we are clearly enforcing every aspect of the Tourism Act 2008.

“Our department has been working closely with many other departments to rid Phuket of foreigners working illegally as tour guides, as it is an occupation reserved for Thais by law.

We have been inspecting tour companies, guides and tourism businesses to check for any illegal activities and constantly inform them of rules and regulations.”

Mr Santi said his office will now move to deport any persons working illegally as tour guides and to any companies found hiring them.

“From now on, any persons arrested for working illegally as tour guides will be deported and their names added to the [immigration Bureau’s] blacklist so to ensure they can never return to Thailand ever again,” he said.

“Tour companies that provide or employ illegal guides are destroying the tourism industry. If any are found guilty for breaking tourism laws, they will have their businesses suspended, or worse, revoked.

“If you want to be in the tourism business, you must follow the rules and regulations of the Tourism Act,” Mr Santi warned.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourism-boss-finally-vows-to-deport-illegal-chinese-tour-guides-53550.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-08

Fairly reasonable if you ask me. A tour guide should be a local who knows the local lingo and regulations, not some foreigner stealing jobs from the locals.

I highly doubt a Thai tour guide could find work in China, and the Chinese authorities wouldn't be happy if that were found out to be the case, so quite obviously Chinese shouldn't be able to get away with it in Thailand. Besides, Chinese tour guides can't speak Thai anyway (or if they can, very bad, highly accented Thai that is worse than most "farang" bar stool Thai) so they are of dubious value when interacting with locals anyway.

There are thousands of Thais studying Chinese in China. Many of them return home to Thailand to work as Chinese language tour guides. Their Chinese is reasonably good and they are entitled to have preference when it comes to this kind of work upon returning home.

It seems strange that there would be any hesitation in sending back illegal Chinese tour guides, why did the Tourism Boss have to be forced to make this decision , TAT should take a good look at Khun Sabti Pawai contract with the view of shipping him out , however if things go to plan this is only the tip of the iceberg with the problems the Chinese will give Thailand.coffee1.gif

“These tour companies claim that the Thai guides available do not speak Chinese proficiently enough to serve their tours,” Mr Nonphuree explained.

This is what needs addressing, one way or another the tour companies need to feel happy with quality of the guides supplied. Those of us who have dealt with guide who claim to speak English can understand this.

Having said that, a couple of years ago a TV "current affairs" show in Oz sent some folk along with a tour of Sydney run by a foreign tour company and then translated what the tour guide was saying. Unfortunately the the tour guide was making lots of things up to show their lack of knowledge about where the tour went, the guides also made a number of disparaging comments about the locals which made for excitable and breathless TV coverage.

This is what needs addressing, one way or another the tour companies need to feel happy with quality of the guides supplied. Those of us who have dealt with guide who claim to speak English can understand this.

Having said that, a couple of years ago a TV "current affairs" show in Oz sent some folk along with a tour of Sydney run by a foreign tour company and then translated what the tour guide was saying. Unfortunately the the tour guide was making lots of things up to show their lack of knowledge about where the tour went, the guides also made a number of disparaging comments about the locals which made for excitable and breathless TV coverage.

That is what the companies claim, not what is the real issue.

The real issue is that these tourcompanies prefer Chinese guides for 2 reasons: guests p[refer their own people, even if foreigners speak the lingo it is still not the same; and they're cheaper and illegal, therefor totally dependent.

Double standards - Any Thais reading this? If so, please explain why Thais, when working in whatever job they feel like in foreign countries like mine where I know Thais working in Accounting, Engineering, Nanny, Restaurant and Land Owner (100% in their name), shops etc all very conveniently (And they like to keep quiet about this too I have noticed not comparing the same situation to foreigners in Thailand), that no-one really gives a rats about this and accepts all to do whatever they like which is the hallmark of civilized countries. Tell me why Thais are different when in country everyone else is treated like an alien and its a permanent promotion of "Give a Thai a job week" at all costs? At the same time, they have been lied to into believing "Keeping foreigners out is better" but majority live in abject poverty, living hand to mouth without any social welfare? Tell me how is this better say compared to civilized countries where everyone is given "A fair go" - I know the answer to this already, its because of the evil empire that runs your country who take all the icing on the cake for themselves and fooling the people (Especially the poor and uneducated) into believing "This way, is the only way, and the best way" - Tell me I'm wrong?

Double standards - Any Thais reading this? If so, please explain why Thais, when working in whatever job they feel like in foreign countries like mine where I know Thais working in Accounting, Engineering, Nanny, Restaurant and Land Owner (100% in their name), shops etc all very conveniently (And they like to keep quiet about this too I have noticed not comparing the same situation to foreigners in Thailand), that no-one really gives a rats about this and accepts all to do whatever they like which is the hallmark of civilized countries. Tell me why Thais are different when in country everyone else is treated like an alien and its a permanent promotion of "Give a Thai a job week" at all costs? At the same time, they have been lied to into believing "Keeping foreigners out is better" but majority live in abject poverty, living hand to mouth without any social welfare? Tell me how is this better say compared to civilized countries where everyone is given "A fair go" - I know the answer to this already, its because of the evil empire that runs your country who take all the icing on the cake for themselves and fooling the people (Especially the poor and uneducated) into believing "This way, is the only way, and the best way" - Tell me I'm wrong?

OK - I rather like the fact that Thailand looks after its own citizens. Nationalism has become a very dirty word in the West, heaven forbid that anyone even dares to question free movement between nations ( mind you the Australians have done it) .

I take exception to your quote that the majority live in abject poverty - have you travelled a bit? Yes many are poor- but not many stave to death here, most have access to water and as the BF told me - we are a happy lot.

Thai people are proud of their country and are brought together by a shared religion and the Monarchy .

As ever you are imposing Western values on a developing country - it will change ( might take a while) .

The strict laws governing land ownership have prevented the county being bought up by investment banks and the Chinese.

There is a rising middle class and more prosperity.

So yes you are wrong

So he finally "vows". The press here are very fond of this word which in fact relates to a solemn oath which has no place in the convoluted and contradictory actions of Thai officialdom.

Just a nonsense word used incorrectly to infer that the actions will be carried out without doubt,which is never the case in this country and the irony is that everybody knows this.

Santi Pawai, the director of the Ministry of Tourism (MoTS) Phuket office, has finally vowed to deport any foreigners caught working illegally as Chinese tour guides and to revoke the business licenses of any companies found hiring them.

“If you want to be in the tourism business, you must follow the rules and regulations of the Tourism Act,” Mr Santi warned.

"...and if you are the director of the Ministry of Tourism (MoTS) Phuket office, you must dig your nose and scratch your butt." Mr. Santi added.

Tour companies that provide or employ illegal guides are destroying the tourism industry."

and just like that a scapegoat was found wink.png

Not a scapegoat, a FACT. The chinese do this everywhere. Australia, UK, Europe, USA and so on. Wherever their tourists go they set up their own tour companies (refuse to use the local ones), set up their own souvenir shops etc and only take the tourists to those shops leaving the local economy with zilch, and cap it off by bringing in their own tour guides. Park their tour buses wherever they feel like and don't care about the added chaos this causes on the roads.

People think Thais have little respect for the law, well let me tell you from experience, Chinese tourists couldn't give a sh*t about local customs or laws. They have complete disrespect for tourists of other nationalities and they rate at the top of the list of most hated tourists right alongside the Russians and Indians. They even has total disrespect for the way they behave in temples, and they're Buddhists.

ALL tour companies and souvenir shops owned by Chines should be closed immediately and the owners sent back to China, never allowed to return. That is the only way the Thai economy will gain any financial benefit from them.

“Even worse, these illegal tour guides have no knowledge of Thai culture. They are destroying Thailand’s tourism image as they conduct tours,” Mr Nonphuree said.

I got this far before having my first giggle... wai2.gif

What country is yours? In most countries companies have to prove that they cannot find a local to do the job before a work permit will be given to someone from outside the country.

Fairly reasonable if you ask me. A tour guide should be a local who knows the local lingo and regulations, not some foreigner stealing jobs from the locals.

I highly doubt a Thai tour guide could find work in China, and the Chinese authorities wouldn't be happy if that were found out to be the case, so quite obviously Chinese shouldn't be able to get away with it in Thailand. Besides, Chinese tour guides can't speak Thai anyway (or if they can, very bad, highly accented Thai that is worse than most "farang" bar stool Thai) so they are of dubious value when interacting with locals anyway.

There are thousands of Thais studying Chinese in China. Many of them return home to Thailand to work as Chinese language tour guides. Their Chinese is reasonably good and they are entitled to have preference when it comes to this kind of work upon returning home.

True enough.

Meantime they will see if their legal actions effect the numbers of Chinese tourist that come to Phuket.

Probably, the move will not make a huge difference in the numbers of Chinese ( Not Arriving ) but certainly there will be some ramifications while some locals will probably be effected and then those that are effected, in return, will be protesting and taking their grievances to the Phuket tourism "Boss" and give him an ear full of their complaints and grievances.

Cheers

"Mr Santi said his office will now move to deport any persons working illegally as tour guides"

In terms of enforcing the Tourism Act 2008 I beileve the only move Santi can take is to gather information and make a complaint with the appropriate government department such as Minister of Commerce and Immigration. So essentially he's grandstanding.

I never by China made its all ways shit...

I also never understand why the Thai brass promote China they are useless and unwanteds

Have a look where do you see these people... Let me tell you Asians with money never travel to Asia... Its just the way it is.. They come here to dig in and see what they can make here..

Wake up and stop talking shit about quality Chinese visitors.. They are NOT

And the Phuket Chief must be a real goose. How is your probe same size as police I suppose

Durrrr.......................

"Mr Santi said his office will now move to deport any persons working illegally as tour guides"

In terms of enforcing the Tourism Act 2008 I beileve the only move Santi can take is to gather information and make a complaint with the appropriate government department such as Minister of Commerce and Immigration. So essentially he's grandstanding.

In the past he has arrested illegal guides. No grandstanding.

The biggest business in Phuket during this off season is wedding photos for Chinese couples. There are no Thai employees doing this. I'd love to see this stopped. Visual pollution of the beach and there are thousands of these a month. Screw em.