Looks Like The ( Late Night ) Life Has Been Sucked Out Of CM

PostmanPat

As my 30 something aged Son is visiting on holiday, we just happened to go to the Reggae/ Ska Bar behind Zoe area last night. Got there 11.30, no sooner had we bought a drink the lights came on, the music stopped, and everybody filed out to the street. I had a quick chat to a few of the youngsters outside, they were perplexed but not angry, but did make the point that in this modern world, in this modern country, in this modern city it seems like a step back into the dark ages to have cops telling you to drink up and go home at 11.45.

The people I chatted to said in their view if this carries on it will affect tourism/ visitors from western countries. They said theres a kind of travellers/ backpackers network, and word is already spreading that CM is no fun any more.

Perhaps thats the way the authorities want it? Chinese will still come in large numbers, but if CM gets in effect crossed off "the list" it will have an affect on all the thousands of people here working directly or indirectly in the tourism industry. Its all those people I feel sorry for, and shame on "the authorities" here who are by their current attitude actually putting people out of work.

Example? My Mrs. is an independent higher end private tour guide, and her bookings for the high season are down by at least 50% based on last years numbers. Thats a fact !!!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As my 30 something aged Son is visiting on holiday, we just happened to go to the Reggae/ Ska Bar behind Zoe area last night. Got there 11.30, no sooner had we bought a drink the lights came on, the music stopped, and everybody filed out to the street. I had a quick chat to a few of the youngsters outside, they were perplexed but not angry, but did make the point that in this modern world, in this modern country, in this modern city it seems like a step back into the dark ages to have cops telling you to drink up and go home at 11.45.

The people I chatted to said in their view if this carries on it will affect tourism/ visitors from western countries. They said theres a kind of travellers/ backpackers network, and word is already spreading that CM is no fun any more.

Perhaps thats the way the authorities want it? Chinese will still come in large numbers, but if CM gets in effect crossed off "the list" it will have an affect on all the thousands of people here working directly or indirectly in the tourism industry. Its all those people I feel sorry for, and shame on "the authorities" here who are by their current attitude actually putting people out of work.

Example? My Mrs. is an independent higher end private tour guide, and her bookings for the high season are down by at least 50% based on last years numbers. Thats a fact !!!

as you point out if these western backpackers do decide that they don't want to visit CM purely because of midnight drinking curfews then there will be a knock-on effect to not just bars but other businesses. Having said that what % of these tourists make up the total tourist population not only in numbers but in spend? Seems to me that the Chinese are the largest market and business owners need to be cognisant of the fact that the market changes and adapt accordingly whether thats by differentiation, changing type of business or indeed exiting current business. Same the world over, things change, those who adapt will survive those who dont such as Kodak, Myspace, etc will suffer.

one business model usually doesnt stand the test of time with competition, regulatory changes, etc, etc. look at the banking industry for example.

bars are no different they are a business and if the model doesnt work or changes you need to adapt accordingly. i am sure things like temples, flight of the gibbon, rafting, treks etc also attract western backpackers here, not just drinking every night to 3am which they can do elsewhere surely?

just my two cents.... I personally have no issues with a midnight curfew, simple answer is start drinking earlier if you want to get smashed! I am pretty sure the backpackers could do that, hardly rocket science!

Reported today in Bangkok media that direct flights from China to Pattaya will be soon be available.

Walking Street, Pattaya (the human zoo) could become quite an attraction.

It's already walking street (not stopping for a drink street) thanks to mobs of Chinese (and other) gawkers.

Reported today in Bangkok media that direct flights from China to Pattaya will be soon be available.

It's already walking street (not stopping for a drink street) thanks to mobs of Chinese (and other) gawkers.

Someone must be making money out of these tourists, not all doom and gloom which we always hear on here.

Someone must be making money out of these tourists, not all doom and gloom which we always hear on here.

Hotels and supermarkets in the main, apparently.

I know we are talking late night but I made a sortie down Loi Khro on Monday Aug 24.

There were a lot more people in the bars from I would expect, especially in the Bar-Beer centre. I'd call it crowded. IMHO with the Chinese there does not seem much of a low season anymore, but without them there would be hardly any tourists at all. Did not see any down there. I pulled out at at about 23:45 and the spots on the corner were already dark and partially shuttered.

There are a lot more areas to absorb drinkers but if LK was shut down it would indeed constitute quite a disruption.

as you point out if these western backpackers do decide that they don't want to visit CM purely because of midnight drinking curfews then there will be a knock-on effect to not just bars but other businesses. Having said that what % of these tourists make up the total tourist population not only in numbers but in spend? Seems to me that the Chinese are the largest market and business owners need to be cognisant of the fact that the market changes and adapt accordingly whether thats by differentiation, changing type of business or indeed exiting current business. Same the world over, things change, those who adapt will survive those who dont such as Kodak, Myspace, etc will suffer.

one business model usually doesnt stand the test of time with competition, regulatory changes, etc, etc. look at the banking industry for example.

bars are no different they are a business and if the model doesnt work or changes you need to adapt accordingly. i am sure things like temples, flight of the gibbon, rafting, treks etc also attract western backpackers here, not just drinking every night to 3am which they can do elsewhere surely?

just my two cents.... I personally have no issues with a midnight curfew, simple answer is start drinking earlier if you want to get smashed! I am pretty sure the backpackers could do that, hardly rocket science!

I don't have an exact percentage, but backpackers make up a large portion of off-season business, June through August, and for the last two years their numbers have dropped dramatically. There were some indications or a turn-around, but this midnight closing BS seems to have put an end to that.

For those too old to remember, young people like to stay out late and have fun, and Chiang Mai is getting a reputation as a no-fun city. While there are many Chinese clogging the streets during the day, most of them seem to disappear at night. I don't know where they're going, but they're not supporting the restaurants, bars and guesthouses that depend on the tourist business.

I went into the old city for the first time in a long while last night and was amazed at how dead it was. I know that September is usually a slow month for tourists, but I've never seen businesses on Ratchawithi that empty at 10 pm on a Friday night. I don't know how long this can last before these businesses start laying off staff and maybe closing.

Talking about late night action,

I was dragged around LK last week, the girls have gotten much prettier and younger (or is it me getting older).

Went into Spotlight, was surprised, lots of young slim, energetic and attractive girls. Four years ago it was lazy, chubby girls.

And it was packed out with them, but very few customers. Mind you, we were most of the customers in the whole area, nearly deserted.

Looks like new management in Spotlight.

I had to look into this myself, purely out of intellectual curiosity of course. I went into Spotlight about 10:30 last night and was pleasantly surprised by the number of attractive women in there. There were also quite a few customers, but it seemed most of them were just looking. From the enthusiastic dancing of some of the women I got the impression that the ladies were interested in company.

I was dragged around LK last week, the girls have gotten much prettier and younger (or is it me getting older).

Went into Spotlight, was surprised, lots of young slim, energetic and attractive girls. Four years ago it was lazy, chubby girls.

And it was packed out with them, but very few customers. Mind you, we were most of the customers in the whole area, nearly deserted.

I had to look into this myself, purely out of intellectual curiosity of course. I went into Spotlight about 10:30 last night and was pleasantly surprised by the number of attractive women in there. There were also quite a few customers, but it seemed most of them were just looking. From the enthusiastic dancing of some of the women I got the impression that the ladies were interested in company.

I assume that as it was purely for curiosity purposes that once you stepped inside you turned round and went out without ordering a drink or two. I mean to stay would surely classify you as a martyr, as it would be terrible to stay there surrounded by attractive scantily clad women wouldn't it?

I assume that as it was purely for curiosity purposes that once you stepped inside you turned round and went out without ordering a drink or two. I mean to stay would surely classify you as a martyr, as it would be terrible to stay there surrounded by attractive scantily clad women wouldn't it?

Of course I stayed for a beer, it would have been insulting to the ladies for me to take a quick look then dash away. A gentleman doesn't do that sort of thing.

Of course I stayed for a beer, it would have been insulting to the ladies for me to take a quick look then dash away. A gentleman doesn't do that sort of thing.

As I suspected, I take it you had just the one as to have more than one beer suggests you were enjoying yourself, especially as your curiosity had already been satisfied.

went to a few well know bars in soi 7 nimman last night,and could not get a table in blar blar bar, and sit in just got the last one.never seen so many thais in the bars last night.

I prefer to hit the Nimmanhamin bars on week nights because the good ones are packed on weekends. I didn't mention this earlier because I thought it would depress the bar owners in the old city.

It's even harder to get a cold beer on the week-ends. It's early in the month. Many Thais have just been paid....and speaking of jobs...with unemployment at .8% the authorities may not be fully taking into consideration the job losses caused by their orders. Otherwise, killing jobs is generally political suicide, but still not as bad as seizing assets without due process.

A recent report stated that the Chinese spend more per day (on average), than the European visitors...very little of it in farang owned bars....I did take a songtaew ride across town, riding up front, and for the first time in two years, I didn't hear one utterance of "Chinee no good." Maybe they are starting to figure out how to earn a living off them.

went to a few well know bars in soi 7 nimman last night,and could not get a table in blar blar bar, and sit in just got the last one.never seen so many thais in the bars last night.

I prefer to hit the Nimmanhamin bars on week nights because the good ones are packed on weekends. I didn't mention this earlier because I thought it would depress the bar owners in the old city.
on some of my casual visits to the old haunts from yester years, speaking to some bar owners in loy khow they have never ever heard of nimman, never mind been there,and they dont belive you when you mention the tarrifs in that part of town,there to rapped up in there little world,dont blame them i suppose.not easy to trust other people with your investments in los

It's even harder to get a cold beer on the week-ends. It's early in the month. Many Thais have just been paid....and speaking of jobs...with unemployment at .8% the authorities may not be fully taking into consideration the job losses caused by their orders. Otherwise, killing jobs is generally political suicide, but still not as bad as seizing assets without due process.

A recent report stated that the Chinese spend more per day (on average), than the European visitors...very little of it in farang owned bars....I did take a songtaew ride across town, riding up front, and for the first time in two years, I didn't hear one utterance of "Chinee no good." Maybe they are starting to figure out how to earn a living off them.

I'd be interested in knowing what report that was, and where these big spending Chinese are doing their spending.

If you really want to upset the folks here, close a bar or knock a fraction of a percent off the alcohol content of their favourite brew. Nothing else seems to get such a reaction.

Really, I would have thought that the mention of child molestation in the same post would have fired them up? But thanks for the advice, it has been noted.

Trolling instruction? 1zgarz5.gif
Sometimes you need to have a laugh at what is taken way to seriously. Whatever the local authorities wish to impose in the way of trading restrictions for whatever reason, is their business and ultimately their prerogative. The consequences? Well, they are what they are. As far as trolling goes, 90% of what you read here falls into that category, so might as well have some fun with it from time to time. If I'm out of line for my use of the forum, have me banned.

"Whatever the local authorities wish to impose in the way of trading restrictions for whatever reason, is their business and ultimately their prerogative."

The authorities should be enforcing the law as it is written, not speculation about a law yet to be written. Closing down businesses for reasons other than established law is definitely not the business or the prerogative of the authorities.

That's how it works in countries with rule of law.

Sure re Bruce. So are we under some illusions that we are living in such a country? If the yearnings are for the rule of law to be applied as per another country, the options are always available for you to freely move to that other country. Ever heard that old saying, when in Rome.... The Thais run THEIR COUNTRY according to their interpretation of the rule of law. After all, it is their country, isn't it? It may not be at the Gold standards you are eluding to, but I reiterate, if it's not good enough, move on.

Once again, a couple of corrections--the majority of Thais aren't running this country, only a small unelected minority. Also, the first step in correcting a problem is identifying the problem, the problem in this case being arbitrary exercise of power not supported by established law.

As far as my leaving, I've made Thai friends and have some obligations here, so I intend to stay, enjoy what is good, and comment on what is wrong. If that annoys you it isn't my problem.

you don't annoy me, not in the least. The fact that we have Thai friends is at least one common thread from which we gain our insight. I agree with your inference to who runs the country, & they not being elected. I always thought that it was common knowledge that Thailand is a kingdom, thus ultimately ruled by the monarchy and run by those who are loyal to the monarch. It would seem that the current situation is a direct consequence of either a show of defiance (possibly stemming back to Thuxin support) or it maybe due to some other issues like death by bouncers. Never the less, to complain about the rule of law and the standards that are not attained is nothing more than folly in this place. The place is a kingdom, it is autocratic and it does have some representation for the common Thai citizen. I further understand that people are suffering under the current restrictions, restrictions that seem to be quite targeted to the northern parts of Thailand. Again, this is something that is for the Thais to deal with. We can comment all we like, we can call foul & we can bleat on infinitum, but the reality is, it's just like pissing into a fan. As a farang, you have no say in the matter.

Not exactly definitive. The first reference states:

"Chinese visitors are also among the biggest spenders, with per capita spending per day about 10 percent higher than the overall average,"

The second states:

"Last year around 4.6 million Chinese nationals visited Thailand, with the average tourist spending 5,500 baht ($160) per day — more than the average European visitor."

While the third states:

"Overall, visitors from outside Asia, spend much more money in Thailand, during their travel trips to the country. There may be more and more Chinese and Indian visitors, but still, Europeans, Australians and Americans spend close to double the amount of money per visitor, mainly because they stay longer."

Maybe the Chinese are spending money, but if so I think they're spending it at duty free shops and on baby milk formula at Big C. It's not helping the tourist oriented businesses in town.

I stated "they spend more per day than the average European visitor." You wanted references, and I gave you three out of 50 available...and you still want to dispute it? Find one of our kippa wearing members if you want to split legal hairs.

post-227967-0-98204700-1441538645_thumb.

So not only do the Chinese spend more; but every segment of the Asian population spends more per day, than the Europeans, and the Africans do to.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the current down turn in tourism just might be due to this slight down turn in this thing called the global economy, topped with an ongoing humanitarian crisis that is gripping the west, you sometimes have to look outside the bubble in which we live. There's a lot more to it than bars closing at midnight.

I stated "they spend more per day than the average European visitor." You wanted references, and I gave you three out of 50 available...and you still want to dispute it? Find one of our kippa wearing members if you want to split legal hairs.

attachicon.gifDailyExpenditure.gif

So not only do the Chinese spend more; but every segment of the Asian population spends more per day, than the Europeans, and the Africans do to.

Your chart came from the article which read:

"How are the data gathered? We honestly do not know, but they have been reported for many years. We assume, this is one of the reasons, that when changing money etc. one is obliged to show identification. We can only assume that as good as feasible, all these data are tabulated somewhere, and the expenditure per tourist and per country of origin, registered. Hotels can also gather revenue data and report them (?). Nevertheless, it would be wise to consider the data gathered as an approximation."

So East Asians, which I assume means Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese, are spending a little more on a daily basis, but not per trip, than Americans and less than Australians, Mid Easterners, and Africans, but we shouldn't assume these numbers are accurate.

Once again, not exactly definitive, and it still leaves the question of where all this spending is taking place.

Chiang Mai is not and has never been known as the place to go for drinking and hookers. There are back packers traveling here and using those services but that is not why they come to Chiang Mai. The sex and drinking back packers know where to go in Bangkok and Pattaya. They are not going to come to Chiang Mai.

Edit

I just realized your wife is a high end tour guide. Are you saying

that half the high end tourists come to Chiang Mai for booze and hookers.

Archived