Five Chiang Mai cops transferred over illegal bars

webfact

I'm not a great fan of Thai Plod but.. how can they enforce a ban that has been rescinded and changed from 300 meters to "vicinity"? Particularly when they have just stated that it will take 6 months to determine what 'vicinity' actually means? What a snide set-up this is!

Didn't think there were any bars open after midnight in CM. Must be karaoke bars or summat. I was unsuccessful in finding any during my brief visit there a few years ago. A town on my list of places never to revisit. Incredibly boring place.

Being the skeptic that I am and knowing that Thais will generally protect the reputation of even the most evil officials, is it possible that there is more to this story than simply failing to close bars that are within a non-defined radius of schools? The law is hardly enforceable in its current state, but it could easily be used to get rid of any cop that has had other transgressions.

Your probably right otherwise these guys should be promoted for using common sense

Didn't think there were any bars open after midnight in CM. Must be karaoke bars or summat. I was unsuccessful in finding any during my brief visit there a few years ago. A town on my list of places never to revisit. Incredibly boring place.

You obviously have a communication problem. Having lived in CM for almost 15 years I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a problem finding a bar open regardless of the time. The few times there have been 'new regulations' have resulted in bars closing their shutters and continuing inside like a 'Private Party'. The 'new regulations' soon get forgotten. You only need to ask a tuk Tuk driver if you are desperate. They all know where to get 'anything' you want :-)

In LOS no official are ever fired when found to be negligent or caught red handed with over 100 million Baht in a closet, as in the case of a former Transportation Permanent Secretary.

Unless, they belong to the party that is not in power. But the RTP is the exception to that dysfunctional rule.

Just imagine, police in some countries can actually shoot people dead if they are of a certain color....and not lose their jobs either....not even get sent to posts on "inactive duty"....would you believe that? Methinks Thailand has a long way to go yet to catch up with that practice.

And some of them even deserve it.

Although I am not a fan of the RTP, it seems like someone is picking heads. How can these guys be getting "moved". It was my understanding that everything was now on hold for 6 months while the boffins decided what vicinity meant and lines were redrawn so tea monies could be properly allocated. The RTP have enough trouble enforcing the laws that already exist, how are they supposed to enforce laws that haven't even been clarified yet?

In LOS no official are ever fired when found to be negligent or caught red handed with over 100 million Baht in a closet, as in the case of a former Transportation Permanent Secretary.

Unless, they belong to the party that is not in power. But the RTP is the exception to that dysfunctional rule.

Just imagine, police in some countries can actually shoot people dead if they are of a certain color....and not lose their jobs either....not even get sent to posts on "inactive duty"....would you believe that? Methinks Thailand has a long way to go yet to catch up with that practice.

Well it is best not to be that certain colour then, what ever colour that is

so when a Thai cop get busted you get to go to Bangkok... and still get paid? and hang out and do nothing?

this building they transfer these cops to must be huge to house them all...

And in the UK they are put on full paid leave for maybe 2 or 3 years while the investigation is ongoing, nothing different here really

Midnight closing is definitely being enforced as of this happening.

Is Spicy still going?

A few years back all the bars decided to pay the police to do rounds as there was a lot of crime/ muggings at night around Tapai, I think 300 Bht a week for one bar.

The cops used to come around at night and sign a book in the bar, crime reduced drastically it worked quite well, Spicy used to stay open until 6 am not much problems then apart from a few drunken falangs stumbling home and a few swimming in the canal.

Police did not get overtime pay once the bars decided to top them up things worked quite well.

BLXXK is not a colour. It is an absence of visible light therefore an absence of the ability to reflect light of any colour. So, would that make BLXXK people, "NON PEOPLE?" I think I might have answered my own question.

There must be hundreds of inactive police by now. What will they do when the inactive list is full. A bad cop is a bad cop so why keep him?

Just as in the British Army a Police Commissioned Officer recieves his commission from the Crown.

The only person who can take it away from him is thus the King and this is a long drawn out process which could cause embarresment.

As effectivel Police Officers are not able to be fired ;they have worked a system where all his privaleges and status are effectively removed. As he is no longer in a possition to assist anyone presents soon cease and he reverts to his normal salary of round 20000 baht a month. Not a nice future.,

Much better than the K or Australiaa where a corrupt cop gets his full salarfy for the time he is suspended until all appeal processes have been concluded and a conviction actually sustained. He does not have to pay this salary back even if proved to be corrupt so effectively gets up to 5 years pay without lifting a finger and being free to do another job while suspended.

Chinese Drink in Karoke bars in hotels. They don't drink in these bars only BAD FARRANG so they are all being shut down at midnight.

Frineds in Pai are telling me all live music is being banned and enforced Heavy handed causing people to leave.

There goes a lovely place ruined by fools and the same fools are doing the same all over Chiang Mia.

Thailand you are killing yourselves and stuff the lot of you - deserve what you get - kick out the people who really care and piss us off - well reap what you sow!

WELL being a Chiang Mai resident for 6 or so years nothing new I was in Bar last night left about 3am worse for wear again

Many bars around here still open till late and with friendly police who arrive change clothes and join in

And I am a chiang mai resident of 4.5 years now and I am seeing bars being FORCIBLY closed. I go to many not just the one. I also have many fiends going to many different bars telling me the same thing I see.

BLACK! BLACK BLACK and Brownies - the chocolate coloured style.

Wake up political correctness is stupid.

A golly <deleted> is still a golly <deleted> and a honky is till a honky

THERE! Said it for all you chicken livered twerpies :)

BLXXK is not a colour. It is an absence of visible light therefore an absence of the ability to reflect light of any colour. So, would that make BLXXK people, "NON PEOPLE?" I think I might have answered my own question.

In Australia we call them NON REFLECTIVES - YES we do or boongs because thats the sound they make hitting the bull bar on the front of the car. TRUE I tell ya

WELL being a Chiang Mai resident for 6 or so years nothing new I was in Bar last night left about 3am worse for wear again

Many bars around here still open till late and with friendly police who arrive change clothes and join in

And I am a chiang mai resident of 4.5 years now and I am seeing bars being FORCIBLY closed. I go to many not just the one. I also have many fiends going to many different bars telling me the same thing I see.

And what else could one possibly say ?!

Where I drink on occassion, the police pop in for a bottle of whisky at 2am. They won't be popping into the drinks on Loi Kroh for a few though, not their scene. Shut them down and leave the places they like open.