non imm o report from Vientiane. Sad

I know two fellas here in Chiang Mai who both recieved a non-o in Vientian without any problems: letter of income from consulate, all of the proper forms filled out but no proof of residence. They are both Scotish and they did use an agent for thir applications, the last one was about 4 weeks ago.

No intention of using an agent in V. Might use one if I go to Penang on the death bus.

I know two fellas here in Chiang Mai who both recieved a non-o in Vientian without any problems: letter of income from consulate, all of the proper forms filled out but no proof of residence. They are both Scotish and they did use an agent for thir applications, the last one was about 4 weeks ago.

No offense intended but my OP was about using Thai bank balance. Also can't see why they needed house book as it has been stated many times on the forum that it is not required doc. Also got my visa today without one.

Think gist of my post and experience is to be aware of clerks giving you false info. Be aware of what is required and stick politely to your guns.

As for using agents.......what for? A Biro and glue for photos is provided

• Like 1

I recently travelled to Vientiane to switch from a Non B visa to a non O as I have retired....

There is no need to leave country when going fro a non-imm 'B' visa, or extension for employment, to extension of stay for retirement. Just get a letter of cancellation of work permit and on the same doing go to immigration to cancel current extension and obtain a new one for a different reason.

I recently travelled to Vientiane to switch from a Non B visa to a non O as I have retired....

There is no need to leave country when going fro a non-imm 'B' visa, or extension for employment, to extension of stay for retirement. Just get a letter of cancellation of work permit and on the same doing go to immigration to cancel current extension and obtain a new one for a different reason.

This is normally the case, but my employer had not cancelled or handed back the work permit and Pattaya Immigration rudely and firmly refused to complete the process without a cancellation stamp which had to be done up North where I had been working. It was far easier to leave the country at Vientiane and cancel the B visa that way than try to sort out the mess which would have involved just as much travelling, Labour offices as well as immigration, and co-operation from an unsympathetic and lethargic ex employer.

This is normally the case, but my employer had not cancelled or handed back the work permit and Pattaya Immigration rudely and firmly refused to complete the process without a cancellation stamp which had to be done up North where I had been working. It was far easier to leave the country at Vientiane and cancel the B visa that way than try to sort out the mess which would have involved just as much travelling, Labour offices as well as immigration, and co-operation from an unsympathetic and lethargic ex employer.

So your work permit has not been cancelled anyway? One can do that by himself.

Personally if I was in your situation I would have cancelled it myself and delivered a copy of the letter to the former employer together with a 20 Bt. bill as a sign of appreciation and good luck present. But I would not have traveled to Vientiane that is further away and expensive that just "up North".

For anyone married considering the OA, don't count on the part about your spouse being considered for a non-o based on your visa. Immigration will NOT grant it, snd will tell you that the MFA doesn't make the rules - THEY do.

You will be stuck with no way for your spouse to remain with you legally. Sad, but true.

Welcome to Thailand.

Since August 29th of last year when Police Order 327/2557 went into effect clause 2.20 now allows the spouse of a non-oa visa holder to get a an extension as their dependent. They do need to get a single entry non-o visa to apply for the extension.

Thank you for the update, Joe.

The consular websites have been leading people to believe that was the case for at least the last five years, so it's about time they got on the same page.

I would be interested to hear of anyone who successfully got their spouse an extension based on their own non-OA.

Nonthaburi immigration assured us last week that my husband could "follow me" on my retirement extension, and we only needed the 800k THB for me, to do it that way, with him as my dependent. We're just starting that process (got our tourist visas, next conversion to OA next week). Will let you know how it goes, but he seemed very sure as Joe said, that it was now allowable.

Nonthaburi immigration assured us last week that my husband could "follow me" on my retirement extension, and we only needed the 800k THB for me, to do it that way, with him as my dependent. We're just starting that process (got our tourist visas, next conversion to OA next week). Will let you know how it goes, but he seemed very sure as Joe said, that it was now allowable.

There is no means of "converting" to an O/A visa in Thailand.

If converting from a TV you will receive an "O" visa which will provide a 90 day stay toward the end of which application for an extension of stay should be made.

Hells bells the topic has developed. Anyway here is the update. ....yes obtained my single entry non imm o based on retirement. As Paz pointed out the clerk is not an IO. His advise was incorrect. Keep in mind he tried to hand back my application TWICE. was only when I stated ..."why do I need a house book....I have one but what if I was using my non imm 90 days to obtain a lease.

Also it seems now Vientiane consulate requires payment on collection day.

As for process , I won't bore members. I will never do a border gig again.

I would love it if say Saigon did non imm o based on retirement. Such a smoother consulate and chilled city for holiday. Stuff buses and all the other stuff.

Ubon is again correct about non imm o for my gig in AU.

They want to issue OA. BTW the process isn't hard. Any questions message me no problem.

I'm back in udon. Thank goodness

payment is always made on request. in any consulate i have visited.

No offense intended but my OP was about using Thai bank balance. Also can't see why they needed house book as it has been stated many times on the forum that it is not required doc. Also got my visa today without one.

Think gist of my post and experience is to be aware of clerks giving you false info. Be aware of what is required and stick politely to your guns.

as i have stated before, agents are de riguer in penang, for lest than 1000 thb extra, no trip to the consulate is required, photos are supplied and misunderstandings and hand wringing like you have described here are not a part of the process.

Also the agents know what is required and cant explain that to you well before you make the application.

as i have stated before, agents are de riguer in penang, for lest than 1000 thb extra, no trip to the consulate is required, photos are supplied and misunderstandings and hand wringing like you have described here are not a part of the process.

Also the agents know what is required and cant explain that to you well before you make the application.

OK ....fact is I knew what is required which was pretty much stuff all. Also I was unaware that an agent could do process for me???? I know days are past where I could just stay in udon (I didn't go to Penang) and have agent handle it. The one thing I have learnt is the bloke taking the paperwork is just a pen pusher. Know what is required and stick to your guns . So exactly what would an agent do for me to obtain an non imm o ? I have photos

Your situation has nothing to do with an OA visa, which can only be obtained from an Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

It has always been the case that a spouse can get a dependent extension, based on the other spouse's retirement extension.

Your spouse will have to get a non-o visa, and then apply for an extension as a dependent to match yours.

But thanks anyway for the reply. Hope it goes smoothly for you both.

Conversion to non-imm. 'O', not 'OA'. But only the person having the money in the bank should be able to convert the visa, not the dependent.

Edited by paz