If you ate only one dessert every year, what would it be in Pattaya?

Jingthing

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud's Rum And Raisin ice cream from Food Mart on corner of Theprsait.

Take baht bus from 2nd Rd, ride on back of baht bus holding on to rails, jump off at the corner of Thepprasit, get Bud's from Food Mart, if totally desperate, eat outside on the wood bench in front of Food Mart. I recommend putting Bud's little can in a pocket, take a baht bus on Theprasit towards Sukhumvit, get off at night market. By the time you reach market the Bud's Rum And Raisin ice cream has reached perfect state of semi meltedness for your maximum eating pleasure.

Not only is this the best dessert, but possibly the best thing about Pattaya.

(Don't forget to get a little plastic spoon at Food Mart, they are free!)

Is Bud's only available at that Food Mart? Can't say I've ever seen the brand anywhere else.

Sorry Jingthing, but as far as I'm concerned, you have to make your own desserts to get high quality desserts at a reasonable price. Thailand just doesn't have the desserts we like in the US at reasonable prices.

The only thing I am happy with here is the ice cream you can get a Swensen's at a reasonable price.

My three favorite desserts that I make are carrot cake, which is easy to make and the ingredients easy to get.

I also learned how to make big, fat, juicy, decadent cinnamon buns, although it takes a bit more time and effort than the carrot cake...it's worth it.

I also make a fantastic pumpkin pie with the star ingredient being, Libby's pumpkin pie filling in a can that can be found at Villa Market or Tops or the market on the ground floor of Central in Pattaya.

BTW, Buds is available at both Big "C" stores I shop at here in Pattaya. They are out of San Francisco. It is not difficult to find at all. I am not such a connoisseur of ice creams that Bud's does not totally satisfy me with taste and selection as opposed to spending $10 for a pint of Ben and Jerry's or Baskin Robbins or Haagen Daz...I also like their Rum and Raisin and their Chocolate Lava or something like that. Their prices run about 170 baht per pint at Big "C".

Edited by oneday

Apple crumble English style with custard cream and vanilla ice cream. Sorry to say no where in Pattaya makes it as tasty as me. So I always have when eating out 5 pints of draught Guinness for pudding! Irish of course.

Had a very nice apple crumble and icecream at Frasers the other day, a huge serve, I couldn't finish it.

Mango sticky rice bathed in coconut milk.

Good choice and about the only Asian dessert in my top ten. However, my enduring number 1 is lemon meringue pie, with lots of lemon and a gooey slightly runny filling, maybe smothered in whipped cream. I make it myself but have had trouble finding it in Pattaya.

It would be my first choice as part of a final meal if ever I was about to be executed. If the jailers say 'No, only 1 dish allowed', then I would settle for that, but demand an extra large piece in lieu of other dishes.

Edited by Card

Guess it would have to be.... Rubarb crumble or fresh English trifle at Maggs restaurant on Thaprasit Road. No way on this earth could I have a dessert once a year.

Yeah, that place does have good English desserts.

The weird thing is that I so STRONGLY do not physically crave desserts that I'm not totally sure I will even go through with eating this one dessert. I probably will but it will mean not feeling like eating an entire regular meal that I would actually enjoy more. I don't mean to be mysterious about this. The reason I don't crave desserts anymore is because I take garcinia cambogia which has an unusually dramatic effect on my dessert type cravings as in basically castrating them. I do enjoy fresh fruit though, every day.

Edited by Jingthing

There is no question as to what it should be. It has to be Lemon Merangue Pie. I had the best lemon merangue ever in a hotel I stayed at in Chiang Mai about 4 yrs ago. I do recall a very nice one in Pattaya the same year but the venue escapes me. By the way I also had a good Rabbit Pie in Pattaya and the best black pudding ever in South Pattaya.

There is no question as to what it should be. It has to be Lemon Merangue Pie. I had the best lemon merangue ever in a hotel I stayed at in Chiang Mai about 4 yrs ago. I do recall a very nice one in Pattaya the same year but the venue escapes me. By the way I also had a good Rabbit Pie in Pattaya and the best black pudding ever in South Pattaya.

I would also go for a good lemon meringue pie but I've never seen that here.

Edited by Jingthing

Real New York Cheese Cake

That's a good one and I know some places in town have replicas of that ... but I doubt there is a great example of that here.

I bought what was advertised as cheesecake at a local bakery on the dark side. It bore no resemblance to any cheesecake I've ever eaten before, probably because there was no cheese in it.

New York cheesecake is made with American cream cheese. I'm not sure Europeans would recognize that as cheese.

Moving on, I know it's a cliche, but what about TIRAMISU?

There must be hundreds of places serving it here ... but any place having exceptional tiramisu?

Oddly, there IS one dessert type thing I have some minor pangs for. Bubble tea with tapioca balls that you suck up with a straw! But that seems too minimalist to meet the requirements of a one time splurge. Maybe I'll do a bubble tea on top of something else. Living dangerously!

Edited by Jingthing

You can't beat a well-made bread and butter pudding, served with either cream or icecream. I make a pretty good one myself, as well as spreading butter on the bread, I add jam, strawberry, sometimes marmalade, plus raisins of course. You can make the custard adding coconut milk, makes it really rich!

Edited by giddyup

Delicious Apple Crumble and Ice Cream at Sandbarbythesea ..on Dongtan Beach ..just opened .. pic does not do justice to the taste ..

Did you notice the centepede at the bottom of the plate before you ate it?

and if you did happen to miss the centipede then you would certainly spot it as an extra when you looked at the bill.

The weird thing is that I so STRONGLY do not physically crave desserts that I'm not totally sure I will even go through with eating this one dessert.

If I was looking for something to eat on my birthday I think I would pick something that I actually wanted to eat. What sort of thing it was would not matter to me one jot, just as long as I liked it.

I certainly would never order something that I didnt really like but that applies every day of the year.

YMMV

The weird thing is that I so STRONGLY do not physically crave desserts that I'm not totally sure I will even go through with eating this one dessert.

If I was looking for something to eat on my birthday I think I would pick something that I actually wanted to eat. What sort of thing it was would not matter to me one jot, just as long as I liked it.

I certainly would never order something that I didnt really like but that applies every day of the year.

YMMV

Well I generally eat delicious food I want to eat every day, so I guess I'm spoiled that way.

Intellectually I am attracted to desserts in a cerebral way but have no physical desire for them. Which is a good thing because they are unhealthy to eat often and it's great to not feel DEPRIVED not having them.

It's weird I know.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the flavor very much but I don't NEED to eat it.

I did the same thing last year. It's not the same kind of experience as wanting it/needing it/craving it in a more "normal" raw way, but it's still good.

Anyway, I know that part of this is odd ... but I'm still looking for an exceptional dessert to try and if I don't have confidence about trying something new, I'll probably go with something "safe" that I'm confident I'll like such as Pan Pan or New Zealand.

Edited by Jingthing