Need help with marriage license certification

I am a USA citizen with retirement extension visa in Thailand. My wife recently arrived with three month Non O visa and need to convert it to piggy back on my visa. We were married in China and have Chinese marriage license. Where can I get them certified so we can apply to convert her visa to piggy back on my visa.

We had our Chinese marriage license translated and certified in China and that's how she got her 3 month Non O visa. Unfortunately she didn't make copy of the documents before handing it over to Thai embassy in Beijing. They told her she didn't need them. Not sure if this is problem or not.

We currently reside in Chiang Rai

Thanks in advance

She will need the marriage certificate certified by the Chinese embassy. If they will not certify it she can do self certification by doing an affidavit that it is true and correct.

The the self certification if needed and your marriage certificate will need to be translated to Thai and the translations be certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. Most translation services can get the MFA certification done for you.

Hi Ubonjoe, i'm in similar situation with bananafarang. My husbans is thai though he doesnt have a thai passport yet (will apply one soon). I'm chinese passport holder with permenant residency in US and Our marriage license is from US so i'll need to get my marriage license certified in US embassy then translate both to thai then get MFA certification?

Hi Bananafarang, did u wife apply for non O visa in china? So we need to provide marriage license along with certified paper? Do u know if i have to translate my US marriage license into chinese?

Thanks both of u

Hi Ubonjoe, i'm in similar situation with bananafarang. My husbans is thai though he doesnt have a thai passport yet (will apply one soon). I'm chinese passport holder with permenant residency in US and Our marriage license is from US so i'll need to get my marriage license certified in US embassy then translate both to thai then get MFA certification?

Hi Bananafarang, did u wife apply for non O visa in china? So we need to provide marriage license along with certified paper? Do u know if i have to translate my US marriage license into chinese?

Thanks both of u

Copy of my reply I did in another topic where you asked almost the same question.

If you are still in the states you should apply for a single entry non-o visa if you plan on applying for an extension of stay. You will not need a certification to get the visa,

Once here your husband will have to register your marriage at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration will want.

Your husband can go the US embassy and do s self certification of the marriage certificate by doing an affidavit that it is true and correct. The embassy cannot do a certification of it. Then the affidavit and marriage certificate will have to be translated to Thai and the translations certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then he can do the registration.

Thanks a lot Ubonjoe! Yes I did post my Qs in another thread before I found this one. You definitly helped a lot. We are currently living in Australia so next time when we go back to US I'll try to apply for my O visa otherwise I'll do that in China where I go back more often than US... Thanks again??

Thanks a lot Ubonjoe! Yes I did post my Qs in another thread before I found this one. You definitly helped a lot. We are currently living in Australia so next time when we go back to US I'll try to apply for my O visa otherwise I'll do that in China where I go back more often than US... Thanks again??

You should be able to apply for the non-o in Australia dependent upon your status there.

From the Sydney consulate website. http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/Home/visa

"An applicant must hold a valid Australian Permanent or Temporary Resident visa However, some certain categories of visas are not accepted, for example, Business short stay visa 456, Visitor visa and etc."

You should be able to apply for the non-o in Australia dependent upon your status there.

From the Sydney consulate website. http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/Home/visa

"An applicant must hold a valid Australian Permanent or Temporary Resident visa However, some certain categories of visas are not accepted, for example, Business short stay visa 456, Visitor visa and etc."

She will need the marriage certificate certified by the Chinese embassy. If they will not certify it she can do self certification by doing an affidavit that it is true and correct.

The the self certification if needed and your marriage certificate will need to be translated to Thai and the translations be certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. Most translation services can get the MFA certification done for you.

We went to Chiang Mai Chinese consulate with letter from immigration but still they will not certify the marriage license. I am bit confuse about sell certification. Can you elaborate bit more? Do you know any translation service that provide the services you mentioned? I called on translation service and he basically said the same thing that we will need to get certification from chinese embassy and fly back to China to Thai Embassy and get a stamp from them.

We have been to immigration numerous times and all we got was run around that resulted in nothing. We have already made trip to China as directed by the immigration and got marriage license translated and certified by Chinese govt. My wife took the document to Thai embassy and they kept all the documents and issued her Non O visa. When she asked for the documents, they told her she doesn't need it and cannot return the papers.

Today when we went to immigration for the 4th time and explained the situation, the immigration told us to get 3 month visa with multiple entry so she can come in every 3 month. Unbelievable. We are at the point of folding our residency in Thailand move to another country. I will have to sell my condo and vehicle and not sure where to go. Really getting fed up with ineptitude of the thai immigration. Please help.

Thanks

Thanks both of u

We had the marriage license translated into English by translation agent who then had it certified by the Zhengzhou municipal where we got married. She took the documents to Thai Embassy in Beijing and got her Non-O 3 month visa. In retrospect, she should have made copies of the documents, although not sure if it would have help. It seems that Chinese Embassy is only ones that does not provide certification of marriage license. I think USA embassy or most other embassies probably certifies marriage licenses.

We went to Chiang Mai Chinese consulate with letter from immigration but still they will not certify the marriage license. I am bit confuse about sell certification. Can you elaborate bit more? Do you know any translation service that provide the services you mentioned? I called on translation service and he basically said the same thing that we will need to get certification from chinese embassy and fly back to China to Thai Embassy and get a stamp from them.

We have been to immigration numerous times and all we got was run around that resulted in nothing. We have already made trip to China as directed by the immigration and got marriage license translated and certified by Chinese govt. My wife took the document to Thai embassy and they kept all the documents and issued her Non O visa. When she asked for the documents, they told her she doesn't need it and cannot return the papers.

Today when we went to immigration for the 4th time and explained the situation, the immigration told us to get 3 month visa with multiple entry so she can come in every 3 month. Unbelievable. We are at the point of folding our residency in Thailand move to another country. I will have to sell my condo and vehicle and not sure where to go. Really getting fed up with ineptitude of the thai immigration. Please help.

Thanks

You could even do the self certification at your embassy since your name is on the marriage certificate.

The self certification is simply do a sworn statement that it is a valid document and that it is true and correct. Some call the statement an affidavit or a statutory declaration.

• 2 months later...

Hi Ubonjoe,

I am in a similar situation. My wife and I are both non-Thai and were married in China. Neither of us are Chinese either.

We have a Chinese marriage certificate which I assume from this thread we will need to translate into Thai, self certify and then have certified by the ministry of foreign affairs. I obviously do not want to go back to China to do this. Is this the correct procedure? And will this suffice for obtaining an extension based on marriage to myself who is on an extension based on work permit?

This will be based on Bangkok immigration rules. Since my work permit was issued in Bangkok, we have been told by Phuket immigration that they cannot issue an extension if the original extension was done in BKK. Is this correct?

Hi Ubonjoe,

I am in a similar situation. My wife and I are both non-Thai and were married in China. Neither of us are Chinese either.

We have a Chinese marriage certificate which I assume from this thread we will need to translate into Thai, self certify and then have certified by the ministry of foreign affairs. I obviously do not want to go back to China to do this. Is this the correct procedure? And will this suffice for obtaining an extension based on marriage to myself who is on an extension based on work permit?

This will be based on Bangkok immigration rules. Since my work permit was issued in Bangkok, we have been told by Phuket immigration that they cannot issue an extension if the original extension was done in BKK. Is this correct?

You should check with your embassy about doing the self certification there. They should allow you to the statement and notarize it.

Then get the translations and certification by the MFA.

If your extension was done in Bangkok they are correct but you could try to change yout address to Phuket and then ask about doing it there.. Where are you doing your 90 day reports to?

90 day reports are in Phuket. I think they allow this because I was doing it here prior to my Bangkok work permit.

I am a bit concerned with Bangkok immigration looking highly confused about self certification...

Thanks for your help as always.

90 day reports are in Phuket. I think they allow this because I was doing it here prior to my Bangkok work permit.

I am a bit concerned with Bangkok immigration looking highly confused about self certification...

Perhaps UJ can assist here .

If you are making 90 day reports in Phuket then you must have already secured an extension of stay in Phuket.

That would have required a work permit.

Perhaps I am missing something?

i am confused,

ur saying a marriage certificate for 2 non thais married out of Thailand needs to be translated and certified for his wife piggy back( as a dependent) on his retirement extension?

PHUKET
My good friend is married to an Australian, he is Canadian. They were married in HK

All they have ever shown is the English marriage certificate and she gets her dependent extension on to his retirement extension for the last 7 years.

They last did this 3 weeks ago.

i am confused,

ur saying a marriage certificate for 2 non thais married out of Thailand needs to be translated and certified for his wife piggy back( as a dependent) on his retirement extension?

PHUKET

My good friend is married to an Australian, he is Canadian. They were married in HK

All they have ever shown is the English marriage certificate and she gets her dependent extension on to his retirement extension for the last 7 years.

A marriage certificate will only be accepted if in Thai or English.

It would seem the OP's marriage cert is CHINESE!

i am confused,

PHUKET

A marriage certificate will only be accepted if in Thai or English.

It would seem the OP's marriage cert is CHINESE!

Marriage Cert is in Chinese. Correct.

Perhaps UJ can assist here .

If you are making 90 day reports in Phuket then you must have already secured an extension of stay in Phuket.

That would have required a work permit.

Perhaps I am missing something?

Extension always done in BKK. 90 days always done in Phuket. Work permit issued in BKK