TOT And A Big Headache And Fiber Optic Cables In My Head......

lostinisaan

Sawasdee khrap,

I had a problem with our TOT internet for about three weeks. Sometimes no internet in the evening, sometimes only Wifi possible.

I'm working from Monday to Friday and was busy the last two weekends as well, my wife calling the TOT didn't mean anything. Nothing happened.

Today was our lucky day and two TOT guys showed up. It turned out that there's only a little problem in one of their boxes around the corner.

I pay 750 baht for 10 MB and just heard from the TOT guys that the other side, where we're living is already connected with Fiber Optic cables.

When I was asking him why our area isn't connected, he gave me a phone number, guess it's the TOT promotion line............

Here's the deal. I'd have to pay for about 300 meters around 900 baht, could then have 20,, or 30 MB.

We have an almost 17 year old son, who's "studying" electronics at the local technical college, but too lazy, or maybe stupid to get something easy like that figured out. But he's good in playing some weird computer games. if there's no internet he goes to bed. .

Anyway, when I'm doing it alone,, I know that it's done.

Considering that there're so many knowledgeable guys on this forum my questions:

1. Should i stay with TOT, or is there another much better solution available?

2. If only TOT's offering Fiber cable, what would be a suitable "promotion"? ( It seems that they're having promotions right now?)

3. Should I just wait until they also connect our area with the better technology? I don't mind to pay 100 baht more for doubling the speed.

Thanks a lot for any helpful advice.

Cheers-wai2.gif

I am afraid, that the question whether other providers are available in your area can only be checked locally.

You have to visit the next 3BB office (which would be the most likely first competitor).

Just happened in our village that 3BB has started advertising as an alternative to ToT.

"300m for 900" ??

Something unclear here. If you have to pay for a new fibre optic cable of 300 m lenght on your own, it will be far more money.

Can reach a 5 digit nr.

So this might be a reason to wait.

Technically fibre optic will be the best technology for quite a while (have no idea what comes after).

Current offerings of ToT here in Thai:

http://www.tot.co.th/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1337:fiber_2u_new_inspire&Itemid=252〈=th

20 down / 10 up Mbit/s is the slowest offer for 700 Baht.

The packages with IPTV are quite useless for you (and the family have their TV oversupply anyway?)

I have ToT fibre since March 2014 and no reason to complain.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I am afraid, that the question whether other providers are available in your area can only be checked locally.

You have to visit the next 3BB office (which would be the most likely first competitor).

Just happened in our village that 3BB has started advertising as an alternative to ToT.

"300m for 900" ??

Something unclear here. If you have to pay for a new fibre optic cable of 300 m lenght on your own, it will be far more money.

Can reach a 5 digit nr.

Technically fibre optic will be the best technology for quite a while (have no idea what comes after).

http://www.tot.co.th/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1337:fiber_2u_new_inspire&Itemid=252〈=th

The packages with IPTV are quite useless for you (and the family have their TV oversupply anyway?)

Thanks a lot for the quick and very competent reply.It might have been a communication mistake, My Thai isn't that good when it comes to technical stuff.

I guess what he meant was that the next point to connect such a cable would be 300 meter away. He also mumbled something about 800 baht for 20 Megs and around 900 baht for the connection.

I'l send my son to TOT tomorrow and hope he can sort it out. Thanks again for your helpful post. thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

"300m for 900" ??

Can reach a 5 digit nr.

Tot Fiber 2 u have 20mbit / 10mbit package???

I thought it was 20/2 mbit and starts from 1200 baht + vat or something.

"300m for 900" ??

Can reach a 5 digit nr.

My current TOT Fibre2U is 15/1 Mbps. Paid 3,000 THB for the 300m drop cable.

The new TOT Promotion is Interesting, I think (roughly translated) it includes up to 200 meter optical drop cable.

Initial Signup Fee waived (normally 1,000 baht).
Current Package change fee (if the current service monthly fee is reduced), (Regular price 1,000 THB).
No charge for optical Drop Cable to residence (up to 200 meters and less than 15 meters inside residence), (Value up to 5,770 baht).
Maintenance fee is 100 baht per month.

It does look like a good deal barring any surprises in the fine print. But of course just because a good deal is fiber, cable, or xDSL that last mile of connection really means little if the overall network reliability and speed don't live up to its hype. Preaching to the choir I know.

Upload speeds are important if they are too low. I had 30/1 and it was too slow. It presented as a very slow DNS server. All of the down in the world doesn't help entirely if the outgoing requests are jamming up. Every time the email client does a send/receive or I click on a link or a browser page auto refreshes or my computer syncs the time or any other request for resources leaves my computer...

I kept trying different DNS servers believing the ones I was using were too slow but nothing helped until I got 5 up. I used to think I'd care about upload speeds only if I had a server but that didn't prove to be true.

Cheers.

It does look like a good deal barring any surprises in the fine print.

If you read Thai, there's a Q/A .pdf of the "New Inspire" promotion in their News Archive that shows additional 'small print' text.

File Brochure Th 28 07 2015 175014151.pdf

No English translations of the ads yet.

Yea, I came across that link earlier....don't read Thai...but did do a cut and paste of some of it into Google Translate...got tired of the bad translation....I closed Google Translate and instead went to the frig and got another Leo.

Did you also notice that you can use the TOT eService to request a NEW INSTALL or CHANGE PACKAGE (including to the "New Inspire" FTTx promotions).

Application TOT Services

TOT Fiber2U (FTTx)

TOT HighSpeed Sevice (aDSL)

TOT Satellite (IPStar)
Fixed Line Service (Voice landline)

They've still got some work to do on the eService website. Some link destrictions are Thai/English, but selecting English Language doesn't yet display everything in English.

Using this option to 'Change Package' just allows you to enter a phone number for a CSR to phone you back.

I have had TOT Fiber for 3 years, at first it was good. About a years ago it became very unreliable, slow speed, continual disconnects from the web. Service down for 10-20 minutes at a time, packet loss caused many programs to freeze.

I use to call them 2-3 times a week, in a day or 2 they fixed it and it lasted 2-3 days than same problem.

I have had this problem for a year now. I don't believe they have sufficient qualified people to fix the problem here on Samui.

The technicians are just overworked. There are less than 2,000 fiber optic connection on Samui and KPG should be easy to keep up.

I have given up on TOT plus they have a cheaper package at a lower price but refuse to change my package, I have to cancel my subscription and apply for a new package, to much of a hasel and waster of time going and arguing with the office, plus a long way to drive.

3BB is installing fiber in our area now. True has it available now.

I will be changing to another provider next month, I will keep TOT for an additional month, just in case.

To bad TOT can't get their act together. I would give them an A for effort, they just can't fix the problem so time to move on.

I have had TOT Fiber for 3 years, at first it was good. About a years ago it became very unreliable, slow speed, continual disconnects from the web. Service down for 10-20 minutes at a time, packet loss caused many programs to freeze.

<snip>

I would expect those issues easily of ADSL service, but not for Fiber. Wow.

Must be some bad passive splices going on ... or failing optical couplings.

Too bad you can't do your own optical diagnostics / integrity checks to see where the issues are.

Thanks a lot for the insight. Sad truth is that the Internet worked for only two hours, then back to the same problem.

The TOT in Sisaket might have two, maybe three techie guys who know their job, the rest are wannabees.

I watched the two guys yesterday and what I saw was in no way professional. Will go there in person this Saturday and try to talk to the manager.

Got the "no internet problem" now for three weeks. What's really annoying is that they treat customers who'd been using their service for 12 years and more even worse than new customers.

I'll post how the Fiber plan goes, how much they charge, try to get a brochure in English and will hopefully have "good luck" to get the right techie. Once I had three of them at my house, one had a little nap in front of our place,one had some cigarettes, while the third guy was trying to find the problem.

I'm really tired of that bullshit, it's a joke if the customer seems to know more about the technique than the company.

Edited by lostinisaan

Tot Fiber 2 u have 20mbit / 10mbit package???

I thought it was 20/2 mbit and starts from 1200 baht + vat or something.

As others wrote already, it seem to be quite new offerings.

When I am back at home I will checkout and visit ToT office.

I changed package last time to 30/3 in March (1200 / month).

No questions asked.

Drove home and it was done (I measured it).

No need to change any equipment when you are on fibre already.

Its just a reconfiguration at the ToT side.

<snip>

I would expect those issues easily of ADSL service, but not for Fiber. Wow.

Must be some bad passive splices going on ... or failing optical couplings.

Too bad you can't do your own optical diagnostics / integrity checks to see where the issues are.

Or it just a slow and unreliable backbone the fiber (the last mile of connection) hooks into. Whether a person has fiber, cable, or adsl lines in their mooboan, all of that hooks into a main backbone somewhere which might be fiber or cable or ???? and then interconnects into a central facility/building in the area and then on to the ISPs main network and national/international gateways. In many cases how the local network/last mile of connection is hooked up and loaded down makes all the difference. Like for True DOCSIS (cable) I see a lot of folks complain about that....but I'm on True DOCSIS for 4 years now and it has been like 99.99% reliable, stable, and good speed...but it's international speed is really no better than any other Thailand ISP since Thai ISPs just don't buy enough international bandwidth.

I was with TOT for a few yrs and so many times the Internet went off on a Friday and no luck what so ever getting anyone until the Monday on the phone then it would be at least 2-3 days before a guy would come. I dumped them and not have True fast and good.

TOT were here when I was at work. The problem seemed ( not yet sure if it still works later) to be the router. They've changed it, took the old one and didn't ask for any money. Fair.

As far as I could find out about the promotion. I have to pay 2,100 baht for the box, then 740 baht/ month for 20 MB ( Incl. tax) for Fiber Optic.

Right now I pay 734 baht for 10 MB. Wife will have to sign up after the holiday. It's a special promotion, usually 5 K for the Wonderbra box.

Edited by lostinisaan

If TOT could deploy fiber connection from an ADSL DSLAM Box in village, I could upgrade it.

Anybody having similar experience? Do they terminate fttx in DSLAM Boxes or seperate boxes until it reaches TOT building / backbone?

It's certainly possible.

TOT, CAT and 3BB each run Fiber along the main road near me. But only 3BB provides both Fiber and has deployed a Micro DSLAM Cabinet on one of the cement poles. TOT is running only fiber drops to Branch Terminals Enclosures, then individual fiber drops directly to residences. CAT just ignores us (no advertising), seeming to prefer servicing transmission towers and government offices.

I would guess it really depends if your village ADSL DSLAM box backhaul is feed by a HSDSL copper pair or actual Fiber Optic, and if Fiber then what capacity the total Trunk or individual Fiber has left over for sharing.

Hi,

Fiber is great and the speed is up there, but be advised during the day the speed is great, in the evening when people are using their computers and accessing the internet the speed drops quite a bit. Still good, but not the same as the daytime. This seems to be the norm here is Thailand, in the states, you get full speed both up / down. It's one to one, not the same here in Thailand where it's one to many users. Yes the band width is 30 MbPs, but each user gets a slice of that, so when there are a lot of users the rate gets smaller and smaller.

Ihave been dealing with TOT for about 8 months. I have never seen a more obnoxious and unhelful staff than at TOT. They scewed up my mailing address , .. I went there 6 times to get it right and they would yelll at me for coming back saying it is already done, .... then why is my bill still going to the wrong address? I also had to get my connection transferred to a new room, ..... more headaches and several more visits to their office, ..... I was without any service for 2 weeks but they still billed me for the entire month!

3BB is more expensive, .. but trouble free

TOT's service may vary from region to region.

Where I live it is poor and it was a happy day when I got rid of them.

In the intervening years of stupid sufferance both True and 3BB ran cables up my street.

If you have alternatives (ie cables there) switch, if not they will be hitting you for the extension charge.

There is little benefit to increasing speed if you mostly use overseas servers as the choke is the International gateway.

I see some improvement by using a VPN on that.

In the intervening years of stupid sufferance both True and 3BB ran cables up my street.

If you have alternatives (ie cables there) switch, if not they will be hitting you for the extension charge.

There is little benefit to increasing speed if you mostly use overseas servers as the choke is the International gateway.

Interesting that a VPN improves the speed . I am thinking of buying into a VPN and was using Hide My Ass up to a year ago but I never noticed any speed improvement . May I ask which VPN you use and is it predominantly used for the UK ?

Interesting that a VPN improves the speed . I am thinking of buying into a VPN and was using Hide My Ass up to a year ago but I never noticed any speed improvement . May I ask which VPN you use and is it predominantly used for the UK ?

I have no way to compare between VPNs and can only say I use IPVanish.

I mostly use UK servers for ex-UK sites but have used USA ones too, when I thought my target was USA based.

Obviously getting around regional blocks and security are the main reasons but I often feel speed is better when I switch it on.

Perhaps I am not subject to my local ISP specific throttling.

Edited by jacko45k

I use to call them 2-3 times a week, in a day or 2 they fixed it and it lasted 2-3 days than same problem.

I have had this problem for a year now. I don't believe they have sufficient qualified people to fix the problem here on Samui.

The technicians are just overworked. There are less than 2,000 fiber optic connection on Samui and KPG should be easy to keep up.

I have given up on TOT plus they have a cheaper package at a lower price but refuse to change my package, I have to cancel my subscription and apply for a new package, to much of a hasel and waster of time going and arguing with the office, plus a long way to drive.

3BB is installing fiber in our area now. True has it available now.

I will be changing to another provider next month, I will keep TOT for an additional month, just in case.

To bad TOT can't get their act together. I would give them an A for effort, they just can't fix the problem so time to move on.

So sorry to hear about yur poor TRUE service. I too live on Samui, Tambon Merat. I have had True fiber, 15 mbps down, not sure what the "up" is. for about two years now with very few problems. Whenever I do have a problem, I just hop on the motorbike and go to the TRUE office on the 2nd floor of Central Festival. They are very helpful and pleasant. Good luck! coffee1.gif