New Airport for Issan

superal

There is talk amongst the local community ,including Thai government workers ,that a new international airport is to be built between Surin and Prasat . There has not yet been a formal announcement but it is stated to be imminent . The whole district is seeing infrastructure upgrades especially with new highways . There is also much building of new outlets and land prices are rising .Apparently the airport will be able to take an airbus 380 and Emirates are said to be involved .

I think that this is more than a rumour as a local government officer told a friend of mine , not to sell his land at the moment as prices will more than double in the near future when a government statement of intent is announced . It seems that there is major requirement for such a facility in this area which is logistically close to Cambodia and ripe for commercial investment with the AEC forthcoming .

Anyone else have any info on this airport proposal ?

This sounds pretty interesting but equally not feasible. Who in the world would create an international airport at this godforsaken place and more astounding that A380's would be flying there. What date are we today? No, its not April 1st. Buriram airport, a brainchild of Mr. Nevin (owner of Buriram United) is only about 75 km away from Surin (I remember the opening) and that airport has virtually no traffic at all. I think right now only Nok Air and Air Asia serve Buriram. If they both fly 7/7 that would make 2 landings and 2 takeoffs per day. And still many customer s complain of flight delays or flight cancellations at that small airport. How is that possible?

I googled in English and in Thai to find any mentioning about that project, but as for now there are no results.This is probably only a rumor to push up land prices in the area.

Edited by Dario

Living as we do part time in Amphur Sangkha which is but a spit from the areas mentioned I do find it interesting.

Funnily enough though the sight or sound of an airplane in the area is about a rare as ''hens teeth.''

Well that is apart from the occasional high flying at its maximum service ceiling of the rare passing aircraft.

Might well be a rumour put about by a person or persons who are trying to increase the value of their land holdings,

Edited by arfurcrown

I heard the first flight will be Kan Air direct to Chumphon during a "soft launch" of the airport. A month later Emirates will send the big stuff linking it to Dubai. Rail links to Korat and Buriam airports are being talked about to help with capacity issues that are expected by 2023.

A380s don't need any more runway than a 747. If landing conditions are otherwise good 4,000 feet (1,250 metres) is sufficient. Many of the ex-militrary strips in Thailand would take them (eg Ubon 'International' is 9,400 feet, but hopefully they would not come in over town!).

Putting a domestic airport in the middle of the countryside, away from the only railway line in southern Isaan (albeit yet to be developed into something second world, let alone first) sounds stupid enough to be a really solid plan in Thailandcheesy.gif

For sure , Google will not find any info as it is not there to find and also at present there is no real need for an international airport , although it would be great not to have the travel from and to Bangkok to get up here .I have been told that In the pipeline there are substantial development plans for the region and it is this that would justify such an investment . What I have written to date is not conjecture or gossip ,I think that this is more than just a rumour and there is serious consideration for this facility . There were two recent occasions that I know of where this development has been mentioned , one was at a local government office and the other from a much higher level in Surin both times falangs were involved .I also found out last evening that two villages in the proposed build area had got together with their head of the villages to voice their concerns . .

Neither Buriram or Surin airports are capable of sustaining expansion to accommodate international flights and have been ruled out .

Last of all ,please dont shoot the messenger , I have only penned this post for exposure on the subject and to find out if there was any credible information.

Nobody is shooting the messenger and seriously i wouldnt be surprised if an new airport is built. It will be as successful as Korat and Chumphon airport are. Possibly a Nok Air or Air Asia departure to Bangkok. The main thing will be budgets , contracts and profit made building the airport and small terminal. After the money has been spent it doesnt really matter how successful the airport is or if its actually needed.

For sure , Google will not find any info as it is not there to find and also at present there is no real need for an international airport , although it would be great not to have the travel from and to Bangkok to get up here .I have been told that In the pipeline there are substantial development plans for the region and it is this that would justify such an investment . What I have written to date is not conjecture or gossip ,I think that this is more than just a rumour and there is serious consideration for this facility . There were two recent occasions that I know of where this development has been mentioned , one was at a local government office and the other from a much higher level in Surin both times falangs were involved .I also found out last evening that two villages in the proposed build area had got together with their head of the villages to voice their concerns . .

Neither Buriram or Surin airports are capable of sustaining expansion to accommodate international flights and have been ruled out .

Last of all ,please dont shoot the messenger , I have only penned this post for exposure on the subject and to find out if there was any credible information.

Al,

nobody complains about your post, in the contrary, I'm actually happy you wrote about it. It sure gives food for thought. I might create such an airport in FSX.

Nobody is shooting the messenger and seriously i wouldnt be surprised if an new airport is built. It will be as successful as Korat and Chumphon airport are. Possibly a Nok Air or Air Asia departure to Bangkok. The main thing will be budgets , contracts and profit made building the airport and small terminal. After the money has been spent it doesnt really matter how successful the airport is or if its actually needed.

So actually they're following best-practice in Spain or Eire, then ? rolleyes.gif

Meanwhile nobody in Westminster wants to grasp the nettle, and make a decision, about growing Heathrow/Gatwick/Stansted !

The correct decision being, to grant permission for expansion at all three, and then let the market sort it out ! facepalm.gif

Agree absolutely, nobody was getting at the OP, merely wondering about the commercial sense of the idea itself.

Recall an article about this in Gulf Business Journal.

From what I remember, it was meant to be a low key yet highly strategic move by Emirates Group to position UAE favorably in the SE Asian agricultural export sector to service the growing demand in the Gulf region. The article went on to explain Emirates killed the plan after a low ranking yet "in the know" Thai civil servant in a minor provincial government office got pissed up on Blend 285 and spilled the beans over the local village headman's loudspeaker system.

Wasn't a fair bit of money spent on the old airport last year to no avail ?

I suspect this new airport and A380 will be for the new start of the Tour De France in Thailand, remember that story !

Will the Tour De France start before or after the Formula 1 Grand Prix?

Just asking likewhistling.gif

Wasn't a fair bit of money spent on the old airport last year to no avail ?

I suspect this new airport and A380 will be for the new start of the Tour De France in Thailand, remember that story !

Will the Tour De France start before or after the Formula 1 Grand Prix?

Just asking likewhistling.gif

My sources tell me that they'll both run concurrently, with the Thai Winter-Olympics ? rolleyes.gif

To me, the notion of such an airport reflects forward thinking on somebody's part. Asia is the fastest growing regional segment of the airline industry and BKK & DMK are already reaching capacity...especially in the air cargo business which is huge and getting huger.

Airports require a enormous amount of land. Acquiring the needed land in urban, highly populated areas is expensive and socially disruptive and too many compromises end up being made during the long planning process.

With the advent of high-speed rail and decent highway systems, airports no longer need to be close to major population areas. Passengers can be moved quickly by rail to almost any destination. Air cargo doesn't need to be close either...it actually benefits with less traffic delays.

The country that best positions itself logistically to meet the demands of the next quarter century will be the winner.

Look at Dubai; they're building a nation around an airport.

To me, the notion of such an airport reflects forward thinking on somebody's part. Asia is the fastest growing regional segment of the airline industry and BKK & DMK are already reaching capacity...especially in the air cargo business which is huge and getting huger.

Airports require a enormous amount of land. Acquiring the needed land in urban, highly populated areas is expensive and socially disruptive and too many compromises end up being made during the long planning process.

With the advent of high-speed rail and decent highway systems, airports no longer need to be close to major population areas. Passengers can be moved quickly by rail to almost any destination. Air cargo doesn't need to be close either...it actually benefits with less traffic delays.

The country that best positions itself logistically to meet the demands of the next quarter century will be the winner.

Look at Dubai; they're building a nation around an airport.

Thailand has more than enough runways (ex Vietnam) that could be upgraded and utilised without starting from scratch. I would put the new airport in the same box as the Formula 1 circuit, Thai Disneyland and any other pie in the sky scheme these dreamers think up.

Dubai is attempting to build a nation through smoke and mirrors, one change in political or economic climate and the place is gone, it has nothing to offer. An airport is exactly that, a piece of real estate used for a specific purpose it can be done anywhere.